• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) 2021-2022 Europe Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Will spend second half of February in Italy. Not sure where yet, but most probably Piemonte and either Limone or Via Lattea.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anyone flying into Geneva, it looks like issues with both private transfers and car rentals this winter. Book early and confirm

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone flying into Geneva, it looks like issues with both private transfers and car rentals this winter. Book early and confirm
What type of issues?
I assume you mean with AlpyBus and the like?

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
What type of issues?
I assume you mean with AlpyBus and the like?
Looks like the Geneva City Canton has introduced new licensing measures for private transfer drivers which will enormously restrict their numbers - even those few that can pick up a license will find it enormously time restricted. As for car rentals, their prices are off the charts, although that isn't a problem unique to Geneva ATM.

itcomestoosoon

Booting up
Skier
going to Chamonix in February. how easy is it to enter Switzerland via Geneva, then take a bus transfer to Chamonix, as a vaccinated American national. not wondering so much about what bus but rather if Swiss customs will even let me in, given my time in the country will solely be to fly in and fly out

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Millions do it each year (pre Covid). Coming from a high risk country, you just need to present proof of vaccination in addition to your regular entry requirements.Your CDC card should get you through, but if your state offers a QR code cerificate that would be better.

Geneva Airport is a bit....... strange. It sits on the border with France, so has two potential exit routes - one to Switzerland, one to France. Counterintuitively, 99.9% of the time to go skiing in France you want to exit to the Swiss side. Get this wrong and it's a PITA and an expensive taxi ride to get round to the SWISS side

James

Out There
Instructor
going to Chamonix in February. how easy is it to enter Switzerland via Geneva, then take a bus transfer to Chamonix, as a vaccinated American national. not wondering so much about what bus but rather if Swiss customs will even let me in, given my time in the country will solely be to fly in and fly out
As long as you’re vaccinated. The US is currently listed as a “high risk” country. Let’s hope by Feb we don’t get banned.

Proving vaccination - bring the card. Hopefully, it works. For 30Chf you can convert the card to a Swiss Certificate. I guess you would list GVA as where “staying”.
See here:
Switzerland appears to have a requirement of a “Covid-19 Certificate”, meaning proof of vaccination, to go to places. Looks like for Americans it will cost you 30Chf to convert your vaccine card to a Swiss Certificate. Certificates are issued by the Cantons. So you need to list where you’re staying. I assume you do not need one for each Canton if you move around.

I think you can use an EU machine readable one if you have that.

——————
As of Monday September 13, 2021, only fully vaccinated Americans will be allowed to travel to Switzerland. This is due the fact that the EU has removed the United States from its safe travel list. Recovered and tested Americans will no longer be able to travel.

To enter the country, travelers must complete the online form of the Federal Office of Public Health FOPH.
———————————-

Certificate:

————————————-
Proof for vaccinated persons must be provided in the form of a Swiss COVID certificate, an EU/EFTA COVID certificate or other proof of vaccination. The vaccination proof must contain the following information: surname, firstname, date of birth as well as date and place of vaccination and the vaccine used.
————————————-
Check travel status here. First page answer is “Other” for most Americans-

It’s easy. Downstairs to the left of the info counter are the shuttles. If a Saturday, it’s crowded, best to have reservation. Now, if you don’t have a res, and the shuttle co’s “have no room”, go to the info counter and ask them. I did this once and it worked, but you had to pay in Chf cash. There are machines nearby or the banks there. As I recall, the bank makes you change dollars to Euros, then Euros to Swiss Francs, ChF. So you get hosed twice on exchange rates.

Note, you can also take a train, which is much longer. Like 3hrs vs 1.5 and change trains 2x. They cram like you wouldn’t believe in those bus shuttles. Pre covid. But, they usually have hotel dropoff.

Geneva Airport is a bit....... strange. It sits on the border with France, so has two potential exit routes - one to Switzerland, one to France. Counterintuitively, 99.9% of the time to go skiing in France you want to exit to the Swiss side. Get this wrong and it's a PITA and an expensive taxi ride to get round to the SWISS side
I’ll say. I thought signage in Nyc was bad. Drove once in a rental from Paris. You have to dropp off at the French side or it’s like €300 extra charge for Swiss side. Google was an abysmal failure. Signage terrible. We crossed the border at least 1 extra time trying to find the turn off.
When we finally get in the airport, making out way to the shuttle area felt like we went through restricted spaces and weird doors. Somehow we got there.

Coming from plane is easier.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah GVA airport French side access looks like a service road and then you are going through a maze of empty areas to cross sides in the terminal. Reality is the French side of the terminal is pretty token and nothing like an international airport. Hotels are much cheaper that side although if you don't have a rental car the savings are pretty much destroyed by outrageous cab fares.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I have skied in Avoriaz, but not like that...

Les Trois Vallées next week.... STOKED!
Trois Vallees is getting some great snow right now. We just got back from France yesterday, and ventured up to Val Thorens for a couple days.
Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online