• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2021-2022 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
RA- I was wondering where in the alps that cable car pic was from. The alps are a whole different experience than NA for sure. Good to see you getting after it!

If you haven’t been to WC in 20 years, it is a lot bigger (wider) now. When I skied it in 98/99, waterfall was newly open but you had to get towed back to the base area behind a snowcat--long lap times. Three new chairlifts have nearly tripled the expert terrain since then, but every fall line seems to be interrupted by 2 or 3 flat benches on the way to the valley floor.
73E92886-573D-4482-BE91-7FEA81DC8AE8.jpeg
that tram pic was of the upper tram or second stage on the Gemstock. That’s the Gemstock in this photo. 4900 vertical feet of predominantly north facing, free ride skiing bliss that rises right out of the picturesque Swiss mountain town of Andermatt. It’s just one part of the Disentis, Sedrun, Andermatt Ski Arena, a twenty mile wide ski area connected by every sort of lift imaginable and a train. I think Disentis has close to 6000 lift served vertical feet. The Swiss Alps are big, like mind numbing big.

5C92D522-85A2-4A03-B2DD-7BDF55878FD9.jpeg

Andermatt.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Surprise powder day at Ski Santa Fe today. Not expecting anything and woke up to 8" of good, high moisture snow. Enough to cover a lot and to keep under snow crunchies to a minimum. Managed to get in line for first chairs and tuckered myself out in three hours. Hardly anyone on the mountain until the hordes arrived just as I was leaving. I did stop long enough to take a few photos.

Sorry @FlyingAce and @Pasha weren't able to join, so I did solo.

20220323_102051.jpg 20220323_102121.jpg
Tree shot into Bozo. Freshies from the lift

20220323_101144.jpg 20220323_103624.jpg
Tracks in Cornice. Taking a photo break in Avalanche Bowl

Attachments

• 20220323_103644.jpg
    20220323_103644.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 7

cholla

Booting up
Skier
View attachment 164067
that tram pic was of the upper tram or second stage on the Gemstock. That’s the Gemstock in this photo. 4900 vertical feet of predominantly north facing, free ride skiing bliss that rises right out of the picturesque Swiss mountain town of Andermatt. It’s just one part of the Disentis, Sedrun, Andermatt Ski Arena, a twenty mile wide ski area connected by every sort of lift imaginable and a train. I think Disentis has close to 6000 lift served vertical feet. The Swiss Alps are big, like mind numbing big.

View attachment 164068

Andermatt.
Hmmm, looks like Andermatt will be on the Epic Pass next year. Love it or hate it, it could still be somewhat compelling to be able to ski a resort like that, and also spend some time at the Epic Pass resorts in the US.....

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
Too bad for Andermatt. I’ve wanted to go there for a while. Given that lift tickets are a good bit less expensive in Euroland than North ‘Merica, epic ownership shouldn’t make a difference on where ‘Mercans ski in Euro, but it will.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Posting videos doesn’t seem to be the norm around here. But hey, the season and chat are winding down. Here’s a powder edit from 8-11 March trip to Taos and WC. Timing was good
Your timing was very good. But what happened to cause the gash/stitches at 8:20?

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Too bad for Andermatt. I’ve wanted to go there for a while. Given that lift tickets are a good bit less expensive in Euroland than North ‘Merica, epic ownership shouldn’t make a difference on where ‘Mercans ski in Euro, but it will.
My five day pass for Andermatt/Disentis was 280.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowbowl skied very well this morning, even the glades were nice. Probably last pow day of the season unless we get lucky. The gondola never opened so the upper mountain is still fresh if anyone goes up tomorrow. I'm hoping to get a day or two of corn harvest before it is said and done.

image0.jpeg

Apicem-AZ

Booting up
Skier
It was another good afternoon at Snowbowl today - rain showers at elevations below 8,000 ft, but the conditions were very good. Probably good for the base to have the overcast conditions. I'm always grateful to still be skiing on the last day of March in Arizona.

Attachments

• Snowbowl 1 - 31 March 2022.jpeg
    Snowbowl 1 - 31 March 2022.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Snowbowl 2 - 31 March 2022.jpeg
    Snowbowl 2 - 31 March 2022.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Snowbowl 3 - 31 March 2022.jpeg
    Snowbowl 3 - 31 March 2022.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 8
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm betting we close AZ on Easter weekend barring some crazy weather system.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was watching the NM fire updates on the weather channel and saw they have told people in Angel Fire area to be ready to go. Looks like it is burning in the direction of Taos. I know there is concern in AZ also. I hope you are all safe and stay safe.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sipapu has the guns going. We need rain.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
For a smidge of good news, at least it sounds like the Cerro Palado fire near Los Alamos (and Pajarito Ski area) is mostly contained as of today. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
One sided guardian advocacy article that gives details about upgrade plans that I wasn't aware of

The White Mountain Apache seem just fine with development on a different 11,000 foot mountain they run a ski resort on.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
One sided guardian advocacy article that gives details about upgrade plans that I wasn't aware of

azsnowbowlmdpmap-1.png
It looks to be a modest expansion, mostly Lift replacements or new short lifts and some new trails. all within the existing permit area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor