• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2021-2022 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sigh, bummer of a storm. It blew through fast, two hours and done. Better than nothing I guess.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I saw pi
i saw pictures on IG of what I think were massive blow downs up at TSV.

yeah, that system didn’t produce as forecasted. Oh well, we count em as they fall. The 6 inches definitely helped but ridge, Agassiz, volcano aren’t really skiing good imho. There’s rocks everywhere. AZSB is being very aggressive with their terrain expansions this year. There’s another storm possibly next week.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw pi

i saw pictures on IG of what I think were massive blow downs up at TSV.

yeah, that system didn’t produce as forecasted. Oh well, we count em as they fall. The 6 inches definitely helped but ridge, Agassiz, volcano aren’t really skiing good imho. There’s rocks everywhere. AZSB is being very aggressive with their terrain expansions this year. There’s another storm possibly next week.

I had a few big rocks go blasting past me on Upper and Lower Volcano today after they were dislodged by skiers above. That was a new experience.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a few big rocks go blasting past me on Upper and Lower Volcano today after they were dislodged by skiers above. That was a new experience.
I’m on new skis. I tried volcano and lift line. There were no repeats. I’d be so pissed if I destroy an edge and sidewall.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Oooof, I was debating going up for tomorrow. Guess I know which skis I'll be taking.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oooof, I was debating going up for tomorrow. Guess I know which skis I'll be taking.
My gal told me the high was going to be around 50 tomorrow. If you stay on the runs with snowmaking the coverage is good. If it does get that warm it should be soft and carvy. If you want to ski on natural runs bring your rock skis.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Forecasts seem to be having trouble with this next storm but this is the best I've seen the precip map looking since monsoon. If it wasn't Christmas, Wolf Creek would be the place to hit.

p168i.gif

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously thinking a trip to Wolf Creek is in my future. I just discovered they offer senior/veteran discounted tickets for $42 regular / $52 peak. :beercheer:

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seriously thinking a trip to Wolf Creek is in my future. I just discovered they offer senior/veteran discounted tickets for $42 regular / $52 peak. :beercheer:
Yeah they have 00s lift ticket pricing. They also do a "locals" day now and then with super cheap tickets which anyone can get. If you go and want to stay at the Quality Inn that is walking distance to the Pagosa hot springs shoot me a DM and I can send you a link that may get you a discount.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ski Cloudcroft opening tomorrow!

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
Ski Cloudcroft opening tomorrow!
Seriously?! Wow. Hard to imagine they have good snow down there when it is so sparse up north. Did they invest in some snow making equipment? Either way, good for them!

Cloudcroft remains the only resort in NM I have never skied. I’ve been there, but never when the resort happened to be open.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
And Cloudcroft remains the only resort in NM I have NEVER heard of.
It is south of Ski Apache, near the town of Cloudcroft. Popular tourist town for El Pasoans. Closest major New Mexican city is Alamogordo.

They only sell day passes, not season passes, because they are so sporadically open and some years don’t get open at all. I was down there in March this year and thought maybe I would finally cross it off my list, but the resort was already closed for the year. Ironically, it snowed while I was there. I thought maybe I could skin/hike it and find a couple of skiable patches, but the parking lot exit from the highway was chained shut with ominous signs saying that no snow play, skinning, or sledding was allowed after the resort was closed.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
It is south of Ski Apache, near the town of Cloudcroft. Popular tourist town for El Pasoans. Closest major New Mexican city is Alamogordo.

They only sell day passes, not season passes, because they are so sporadically open and some years don’t get open at all. I was down there in March this year and thought maybe I would finally cross it off my list, but the resort was already closed for the year. Ironically, it snowed while I was there. I thought maybe I could skin/hike it and find a couple of skiable patches, but the parking lot exit from the highway was chained shut with ominous signs saying that no snow play, skinning, or sledding was allowed after the resort was closed.
From their website. WTF???

“Cutting turns on a well-groomed trail under a bluebird day is one of the best experiences for any snow sport enthusiast. What’s really going on though?”

“What many people don’t realize is what’s happening overnight to make ski conditions the best they can be. Mother Nature changes her mind often, changing the snow conditions with it. Warm days and cold nights make ice. Ski traffic on the mountain all day “skis” the snow down hill. Fresh powder, while a delight for snowboarders, is anything but a delight for some skiers. Even humidity changes from a storm coming in, can change perfect conditions to soft, slushy snow. This is where the snowcat comes in. It pushes the snow back up the hill, levels it out, tills up any hard snow, and leaves the nice corduroy we all love to ski.”

First time I’ve ever seen a resort downplay the fun of fresh powder and imply that groomed runs are more fun for skiers, but hey, to each their own.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

They make more money from tubing and their pizza oven than the skiing. Last few years I think they pretty much just ran the skiing on the bunny slope. I'd so love to hit it when the whole mountain is open but that is pretty rare. If they ever get a prolific dump, I may have to make the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.