• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2021-2022 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Made my first turns of the season up at Sunrise this week. Sunrise is Sunrise but I definitely observed some signs of better things happening management-wise.

First impressions come from better communications. After last season's total sh*tshow, I was encouraged by frequent emails and updates beginning this summer, and on into the winter season. New website, new trailmap...

I was actually able to purchase lift tickets thru the website, the transaction worked smoothly and I even received an email confirmation with barcode and everything! How 21st century is that!

Mid-week is not a busy time at Sunrise. Truly like having the mountain to myself. Ski on to every chair, never had to share a chair, in fact, I was looking to share with someone, anyone, just to have someone to talk to... lol.

Four chairs were in operation, the main Sunrise Express and the Spirit Ridge (midway) lifts were running on the Sunrise Peak side not to mention the bunny hill lift, as well as the Geronimo lift on Apache Peak. Perfect compliment for a not busy day, and more than I expected actually. And miracle of all, 40 lift rides over the two day period, only ONE lift stoppage, and three other slowdowns. Of course, when they are only loading 1 in 15 chairs, the odds of needing a lift stop are considerably diminished.

Snow wise - not quite two weeks since the last snowfall, but the quality of the snow was great. A little bit of thaw and freeze happening at the base, but the sun still very low in they sky, so not spring-like at all. Still chalky in the morning, only slightly heavier late in the day. Coverage is excellent on the Sunrise side, a little more base needed on the Apache side although the mile-wide Wickieup run was fine.

The only complaint would be the parking lot. Always a potholed, muddy mess, this week presented visitors with a surface of glare ice in the morning, glare ice covered with a half-inch of melt in the afternoon. It was dicey walking and I saw several people slip and fall. Luckily, I didn't have far to walk, not many cars in the lot. I joked with another guy carefully picking his way back to his car, "survived a day of skiing only to break a hip in the parking lot." Spread some cinders or something.

I did not sample the F&B offerings, other than a couple of beers. The main lodge cafeteria was open for breakfast/lunch, closing ~2PM I think. Bar was open. Midway was closed as well as the Apache lodge. The snack bar at the top of Sunrise was open for beverages and snacks, grill was closed.

Summary - I can actually recommend a visit to Sunrise this season!

Pics to follow...

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few pics From Sunrise. Not quite the stoke that @raisingarizona provides, but hey...

9AM - Empty parking lot.

w-091710.jpg

The new "big board." Lights indicate operating lifts and open trails.
w-093523.jpg

Approaching the top of Sunrise mountain
w-094601.jpg

Selfie
w-095126.jpg

Huge crowds at the base lodge
w-105422.jpg

Last edited:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Geronimo lift and Apache Lodge
w-101037.jpg

The mile-wide Wikieup. Great for practicing wide carved turns. This was the typical view, I honestly maybe encountered one or two other skiers on each ride on the Apache side.
w-101556.jpg

More views of the mostly deserted runs on the Sunrise side.
w-122632.jpg

après ski at the Pinetop Brewery. Tasting flight of the dark offerings.
w-173516.jpg

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Great pics. Any news on a replacement cyclone lift?

I assume the walk to get up there is short?

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Geronimo lift and Apache Lodge
View attachment 155246

The mile-wide Wikieup. Great for practicing wide carved turns. This was the typical view, I honestly maybe encountered one or two other skiers on each ride on the Apache side.
View attachment 155247

More views of the mostly deserted runs on the Sunrise side.
View attachment 155248

après ski at the Pinetop Brewery. Tasting flight of the dark offerings.
View attachment 155249
That quiet there sure looks nice. Hopefully they do some upgrades and take some of our crowds away.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

No news that I'm aware of, but I didn't ask anyone.

I never thought the Cyclone was all that. Very long lift ride, then a long, flat section at the top to get to a handful of short, steep pitches, followed by a long flat runout back to the lift. The runs on the west facing aspect rarely open due to lack of snow cover. I suppose a new fast lift would mitigate most of that, but that whole base area with the long feeder lift to the base of Apache is just awkward.

I don't know what kind of hike it would take to get over there. Allegedly, they sometimes operate a cat taxi for an extra fee. Problem is, they weren't running the feeder lift (Fort Apache aka Lift IV), at least midweek when I was there, so unless you could cut over back to the bottom of Geronimo lift, you would end up at an empty parking lot, one and done.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Its weird they put the Cyclone lift back on the map of Sunrise. It was photoshopped out last season. I wonder if the line represents the cat they run sometimes? If they ever put a high speed lift back there somewhere it will be a game changer for AZ skiing.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunrise update: Their lift status page indicates they were running the Fort Apache lift up from the Cyclone base area this (holiday) weekend.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like a little fresh at the AZSB. I'm headed up tomorrow (Thursday) for a day trip. If anyone will be up there, give a shout out if you want to do some laps with me on the bunny hill LOL.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like a little fresh at the AZSB. I'm headed up tomorrow (Thursday) for a day trip. If anyone will be up there, give a shout out if you want to do some laps with me on the bunny hill LOL.
I would have but I’m headed out for work today for an 8 day hitch.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
@kimberlin and I will be up there TJ. I'll be wearing red top, grey pants, grey helmet, and Renoun Atlas' on the feet. Kim will be in one of her 4,987 outfits and on one of her 6? 8? pairs of skis, although I'm going to bet she'll be on Stockli Nela's.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@kimberlin and I will be up there TJ. I'll be wearing red top, grey pants, grey helmet, and Renoun Atlas' on the feet. Kim will be in one of her 4,987 outfits and on one of her 6? 8? pairs of skis, although I'm going to bet she'll be on Stöckli Nela's.

PM sent!

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How are conditions? Hopefully a base top up coming in tonight.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How are conditions? Hopefully a base top up coming in tonight.

"Firm" Refresh needed! And the food in the restaurant still sux. :(

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any news on a replacement cyclone lift?

Stumbled on this page - (note it does not seem to be linked from any main page so who knows... probably means you are not supposed to see it!)
https://www.sunrise.ski/future/

It highlights the 2019 master plan (along with downloadable PDF) along with this mention:

"A new high-speed and high-capacity chairlift/gondola is in the works for Sunrise Park Resort! Preliminary planning has begun for this chairlift/gondola combination lift to service visitors from the base of Cyclone Circle to the top of Apache Peak in about half the time of the current two-lift system. This new lift would also offer high-capacity 6-person chairs and 8-person gondolas. In the summer, the new chairlift could serve for scenic lift rides and the Apache Peak Lodge could be open for dining and summer events."

Note: Cyclone base to top of APACHE. That still leaves us wondering about access to the top of Cyclone...

The master plan charts ambitious base area upgrades, but makes no mention of lift improvements.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
Stumbled on this page - (note it does not seem to be linked from any main page so who knows... probably means you are not supposed to see it!)
https://www.sunrise.ski/future/

It highlights the 2019 master plan (along with downloadable PDF) along with this mention:

"A new high-speed and high-capacity chairlift/gondola is in the works for Sunrise Park Resort! Preliminary planning has begun for this chairlift/gondola combination lift to service visitors from the base of Cyclone Circle to the top of Apache Peak in about half the time of the current two-lift system. This new lift would also offer high-capacity 6-person chairs and 8-person gondolas. In the summer, the new chairlift could serve for scenic lift rides and the Apache Peak Lodge could be open for dining and summer events."

Note: Cyclone base to top of APACHE. That still leaves us wondering about access to the top of Cyclone...

The master plan charts ambitious base area upgrades, but makes no mention of lift improvements.
Interesting. They link to a 74 page document that details their plans. But yeah, the new lift is basically just casually mentioned. And not a word on servicing of cyclone peak. Maybe they will intend to keep that as cat ski for an extra fee? Or hike-to terrain? It wouldn't be a difficult hike from the saddle if I recall correctly.

The plans for the base area are super ambitious and seem geared toward making it a year round resort worth going to. The gondola from cyclone base to Apache makes sense in that context.

Haven't skied at Sunrise in ages. Circa 2006 I think is when I was last there. I do remember liking it and am glad it looks like they are taking the future seriously, rather than just letting their mountain fall into further disrepair.

Edit: You'd think they would mention it in a master plan, but maybe they plan on cutting a new traverse trail that would bring you not quite to the peak of cyclone, but would get you over the ridgeline and give you access to most of the runs without having to have a new lift? You could probably at least get to the more interesting east facing ones from Apache.

Last edited:
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good couple inches of snow and a sneaker pow day at AZ Snowbowl this morning with a weird easterly storm. Definitely refreshed the base and some deeper pow was found on certain aspects. If anyone goes up tomorrow, look for a rope drop on lower Volcano. It was closed all day and the snow was deep in the trees next to it.

On a sad note it looked like someone got hit by a car near the snow play area off 180 before you turn into the resort road. I really hope they close that spot to snow play somehow. This is a prime example of why it should be done.

IMG_5936.JPG IMG_5937.JPG

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Couple of snaps from my Thursday visit to AZSB.

Sunny and cold day, windy early, but calmed down by ~11. Rode in a gondola cabin for the first time after a brutally cold/windy ride up on the chair.

Coverage is good. I stayed on the groomers which skied "firm." Wouldn't go as far as saying "icy" but definitely not as soft as Sunrise was a week ago. Despite that, Ridge was delightful, the valley not so much given it's in the shadows and a lot of peeps on that run.

They were making snow on lower Volcano and Sunset Blvd. Plows were busy on Southern Belle creating the terrain park.

Had a cheezburger and fries for lunch. Fries were fine, but the burger was dried out and flavorless. (took 45 minutes to get it - had to drink an extra beer waiting - lol)

Not busy at all on a weekday. This bit of refresh should help.

$65 for lift ticket and bus ride from the valley on the Desert Snow Connection. Makes for a long day but nice not having to drive home.

Early morning wind ripping over the ridge
w-095055.jpg

Gondola arrives to the top station
w-100848.jpg

I actually did some after lunch warm-up laps off of the Sunset chairlift (which I had never ridden before!)
w-150753.jpg

Top of Northstar.
w-112320.jpg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heads up on discount Telluride tix at Ski Pro:

"We have partnered with Telluride Mountain Resort to bring our Phoenix area customers exclusive pricing on lift passes through March 11th. There are a limited number of tickets available, so act quickly. Passes are 2 to 5 days at only $85 per day*!
*Passes valid weekdays only, valid through March 11. Only available for purchase in store."

Want to go badly, but good luck finding lodging under $300/nite !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online