• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Killington Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I was hoping for a review of opening day at Kton. @Marker posted about his day (or evening "11PM" skiing delay :doh: ). I did not go yesterday (I do have an Ikon pass, so I was invited) as I have the base pass with only 5 days and I might have to save 3 of them for the NE meetup this spring. Since this is not the NE Gathering thread, am I allowed to throw in a crack about ballot fixing? (check out the online "voting" for context). Anyway, I appreciated and followed @Guy in Shorts regular conditions reports last year and I am hoping we all can contribute this year. I plan to get to Kton by thanksgiving and I will post about it on this thread. Thanks in advance for all future contributions.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Killington Opening Day Report 5Nov21
Hordes of locals along with diehards from near and far lined up for the Eastern season opening. Lift loading commenced early at 9:52 moving the party to the top of the mountain. Early season broken up concrete surface was churned up by the eager downhillers. Sunshine with blue skies made for the most pleasant weather. Even with the mild conditions did not see anyone else skiing with bare legs today. All our fun and games were put on pause as the Northridge Quad went down for repairs from 11 to about 12:30 with many calling it a good first day. Light skier traffic was the rule for the afternoon. Free pass holders lunch being one of the many perks of the day. Tailgate parties hung in there long after dark making for a sweet start of the year.
IMG_1363.jpg White Ribbon Of Death IMG_1373.jpg
Lift stopped a minute later
IMG_1382.jpg Let the beer and champagne flow

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I hit the mountain at 1PM for the late shift today (Day 2, 11/6 first day open to the public). They opened up Great Northern at 11:30 AM so we were able to ski down to the NR. Crowded, people of all skill levels and all ages sharing Rime and Reason. I don't do park so I kept to Rime for about 10 runs. Upper Rime had the better snow and the bump line that forms on skier's left. Skier's right hard pack but edge-able. Lower Rime harder pack, piles of snow being used as launch pads, people falling in front of you and bombing down behind you. Survival mode. Still fun. Bluebird day and gorgeous views.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hordes of locals along with diehards from near and far lined up for the Eastern season opening. Lift loading commenced early at 9:52 moving the party to the top of the mountain. Early season broken up concrete surface was churned up by the eager downhillers. Sunshine with blue skies made for the most pleasant weather. Even with the mild conditions did not see anyone else skiing with bare legs today. All our fun and games were put on pause as the Northridge Quad went down for repairs from 11 to about 12:30 with many calling it a good first day. Light skier traffic was the rule for the afternoon. Free pass holders lunch being one of the many perks of the day. Tailgate parties hung in there long after dark making for a sweet start of the year.
View attachment 147745 White Ribbon Of Death View attachment 147746
View attachment 147747 Let the beer and champagne flow
Hey that's Jane (blue jacket) and I (red jacket) in your second photo! We made the second to last chair off the loading platform. Yeah I wasn't night skiing...

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
View attachment 147745 White Ribbon Of Death
Let the beer and champagne flow
Those guns on Upper East Fall... We need Upper East Fall and Upper Downdraft (would be nice) to distribute the skiers getting back to the lift. I'll be back out tomorrow afternoon and will report back. I think I'll get my first taste of a Blossom ski (No.1 RC) and can't wait! Next week looks warmer but the last half of November will bring the cold.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We avoided the weekend crowds and skied Monday before heading home today for our pre-winter life and commitments. It was warm, sunny, and the snow with spring like corn. Did about 3 runs each on the left, middle, and right of Rime to mix it up. At least we could ski down to the lift and only hike up at the end of the day. Upper East Fall looked almost ready for grooming but they are probably waiting to preserve the snow during this warmth and get one more night to blow.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We avoided the weekend crowds and skied Monday before heading home today for our pre-winter life and commitments. It was warm, sunny, and the snow with spring like corn. Did about 3 runs each on the left, middle, and right of Rime to mix it up. At least we could ski down to the lift and only hike up at the end of the day. Upper East Fall looked almost ready for grooming but they are probably waiting to preserve the snow during this warmth and get one more night to blow.

Fabulous report. Hope to get there in the next couple weeks. My boss told me he doesn't want me to get burnt out so I should take a day off here and there. This means weekday skiing at Killington. I hear all about pre season commitments, have a few of those as well.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Sunshine blessed the annual Loaded Turkey Rail Jam with the lift line on the North Ridge quad reaching 10 minutes by 10 0'clock. Winter is full swing with top to bottom skiing expected soon. Snow making efforts on Superstar are impressive. Lots of folks from around the globe are arriving adding to international feel of the impending big race.

IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1445.jpg

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Sunshine blessed the annual Loaded Turkey Rail Jam with the lift line on the North Ridge quad reaching 10 minutes by 10 0'clock. Winter is full swing with top to bottom skiing expected soon. Snow making efforts on Superstar are impressive. Lots of folks from around the globe are arriving adding to international feel of the impending big race.

View attachment 148905 View attachment 148906

At the shop today (Hudson Valley) we called a brief halt to the mounting, adjusting, and base repairs to mount and adjust bindings for a photographer who needed his skis to get up to Killington for the WC. We felt a small taste of the excitement, and got some insider impressions of Mikaela (cool under pressure, very focused - nothing new, but firsthand). That's it for our involvement in the Big Event!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did it rain last night on the mt?
It rained at our place near Snowshed overnight. The limited terrain was soft and chopped up pretty well by the time we started at 10:30. It snowed/sleeted on us after 11:30 until we quit. Legs were tired after the hike back up to the peak.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Arrived at 1:30 for the heavy snow. Went with 71 underfoot Blossoms because we went from 40's to snow and expected a firm surface with a few inches of wet snow and snow still falling; which is more or less what we got until closing. That is to say, it was awesome! Everything skied pretty much the same, solid surface with a few inches of pretty nice snow and it skied great! Run of the day for me was the Bunny Buster Trilogy. Got last run on Upper Bunny and had it all to myself with the Blossom No1 RC's. Snow still falling and it was heaven. Middle Bunny/Mouse Trap skiers left had a really nice bump line and Lower Bunny had great snow and was bumpy lumpy with space to play with. Snow is still falling and my fireplace is roaring. Feels like Winter!

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Arrived at 1:30 for the heavy snow. Went with 71 underfoot Blossoms because we went from 40's to snow and expected a firm surface with a few inches of wet snow and snow still falling; which is more or less what we got until closing. That is to say, it was awesome! Everything skied pretty much the same, solid surface with a few inches of pretty nice snow and it skied great! Run of the day for me was the Bunny Buster Trilogy. Got last run on Upper Bunny and had it all to myself with the Blossom No1 RC's. Snow still falling and it was heaven. Middle Bunny/Mouse Trap skiers left had a really nice bump line and Lower Bunny had great snow and was bumpy lumpy with space to play with. Snow is still falling and my fireplace is roaring. Feels like Winter!
Yes, that left side of Bunny Buster was lots of fun!

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Beautiful after the storm powder day with the mountain reporting 19" on top. We had chewed our fill of the white stuff before noon just as they pulled on the World Cup GS race. My best day of the season turned out not to be a great race day. Looking forward to watching the ladies tomorrow.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Beautiful after the storm powder day with the mountain reporting 19" on top. We had chewed our fill of the white stuff before noon just as they pulled on the World Cup GS race. My best day of the season turned out not to be a great race day. Looking forward to watching the ladies tomorrow.
Legs were toast by noon. Days like today make me wonder why I don't live here full time. Too bad about the GS though.

James

Out There
Instructor
Did they close any lifts for wind?
Okemo closed the main lift to top around 10am.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Did they close any lifts for wind?
Okemo closed the main lift to top around 10am.
I skied from 8:30 -12 and the only lift I know that was on wind hold was the Snowdon 6 from 8:00 to 8:30. I did have a 20 minute K1 gondola ride but otherwise everything was running okay. North Ridge was probably the least wind affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online