• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Killington Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been skiing SR for a number of years now, and Kton for the last couple of years. I am on Ikon, so split my time. Go to Loon regularly as well. I would give Kton the nod for best snowmaking and grooming, followed closely by SR and a distant 3rd at Loon. I think Kton has highest elevation and more natural snow. SR is lower elevation, gets more rain, and seems to always get short changed on Nor easters and West to East moving storms. Stowe and Jay get the most Lake effect snow, but Kton seems to benefit somewhat from that as well. SR gets 0 lake effect snow. In terms of ease of navigating the mtn, I put Loon in 1st, SR #2, and Kton last. I still get confused at Kton, but I am there sporadically, so not committed to memory. Loon is worst for over crowding, I know SR well, so I know how to avoid the crowds, and Kton is just more complicated to me so more challenging in that regard. I really like SR's layout, but some just hate it, because its one long ridge with multiple peaks. To go skiers left to right, boundary to boundary, is one hell of a long cat track. On soft snow crowded days, the cat track can get frost heaves or bumped up and really annoying. At the end of the day a 2 mile low angle treck through whoop de do's wears on you. At least it means good snow on the slopes the following day.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I need some guidance. I'm headed up to K-ton in the next week or two and my experience has been that it is a confusing mountain. Some regulars got insights as to best advanced trails? Way to get around? Stay in one area or move from pod to pod?

James

Out There
Instructor
OK, I need some guidance. I'm headed up to K-ton in the next week or two and my experience has been that it is a confusing mountain. Some regulars got insights as to best advanced trails? Way to get around? Stay in one area or move from pod to pod?
Maybe try to meet up with @Guy in Shorts .

I always start at K-1 or Snowshed. But def other options. What type of stuff are you looking to ski? Hopefully most stuff will be open in 2 weeks.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've been watching the trail count almost daily and none of the terrain I would normally recommend has been open yet this season. :(

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

There's not a lot of advanced trails open right now at K-ton. Best bet is K1 lodge. Super Star chair gives you Super Star, and Sky Lark; Bitter Sweet too, but's that's a blue. From K1 area you get the Gondi, lot's of good blues off the Gondi, and the Snowdon Chair you get Great Bear, and Bunny Buster, they're black, but short. Still lot's of good skiing up there at any rate.

• Sad
Reactions: Ogg

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless things change considerably @Scruffy has given a good representation of current conditions. If major dumpage were to occur, your best bets would be Snowdon trees off the Bubble Chair,; and Cascade, Downdraft, Escapade, Dipper terrain off the Canyon Chair, NorthRidge (old Glades chair) and K1. Superstar/Skylark/ will be crowded as they are major trails from getting from the Skye Peak pod back to the Killington Basin Pod. Bear Mountain terrain is to be avoided after 10 am as it gets too crowded on colder days. You can get some decent natural terrain from the Skyship mid station and Needles Eye Chair - but still need a major dumpage of white stuff

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tonight they start blowing on Wildfire and Panic Button/Needle's Eye, so should be ready by your visit. But we need more natural to open up the entire mountain.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Tonight they start blowing on Wildfire and Panic Button/Needle's Eye, so should be ready by your visit. But we need more natural to open up the entire mountain.
Supposed to snow in the next couple of days, right?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a pass/ticket that gives u access to Killington and Pico?

If u have Ikon for Killington…can u ski Pico? (assuming no/cuz it’s not listed on site)

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Maybe try to meet up with @Guy in Shorts .

I always start at K-1 or Snowshed. But def other options. What type of stuff are you looking to ski? Hopefully most stuff will be open in 2 weeks.
Our posse gathers at the K-1 before first chair as it is easier to start and stay together. When someone is late we lap the Snowdon Bubble meeting at the lift base. We start early and ski until too. Too icy, too crowed, too tired, too bored , too thirsty or sometimes even Two o'clock. We are a fairly tame group of locals and would welcome your company. Wife warns new folks not to follow me but if you can make narrow corridor turns in natural snow you will be fine.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
@Guy in Shorts
We start early and ski until too. Too icy, too crowed, too tired, too bored , too thirsty or sometimes even Two o'clock.
I skied until three today. Should have skied 'til too.

Mountain was skiing great early on and even my first few post lunch runs were good. Lapped Bunny > Mouse Trap > Lower Chute after too, which was actually around two, as those stayed really good.

Last edited:

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
On another forum I saw some mixed reviews. I did a 10-12 stint with my youngest (14). Parked at Bear. Ice/Freezing R@!n. Did 7 runs and everything skied pretty much the same; soft over frozen with lots of grip. I felt great today ripping short turns on my sport carvers. Wind rolled in big time at 12 and brought more solid precip but we were soaked, cold and ready to call it a day. We should have a good week temp wise and hopefully will score some natural. Turning point for the snowmaking trails at least! Tomorrow may be rough with the freeze but give it a day and the K crew will have most of the mountain in good shape as they always do.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today there was supposedly 2" on top of the firm base. With the light crowd, it skied pretty well on many runs and we had a great day until the cold drove us home. With visitors from our town in PA, we avoided most of the steep blacks. Trail of the day for me was Skyeburst top to bottom for the first time this year. Great Bear was groomed unlike last year and a nice quick steep run we could sneak in on the way back to the 6-pack.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Drought of over 200 ski days without running a gate is over as the Killington Ski Bum Race returned yesterday! Snagged the first spot in line arriving 15 minutes early. The Killington Mountain School (KMS) let the bums use their private lift and race trail as the normal race trail Highline awaits snowmaking. Let the wife back onto my team and the first thing she wants to do is change our name. Felt good to run thru a real course again.

IMG_1552.jpg IMG_1553.jpg

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Got out at 2 today. Did 4 runs. 2 on Cruise control, 2 on Bear Claw > Anti-Venom > Lower Skyeburst. Runs were enjoyable and not crowded, but frigid! Nice to get out anyway. Snow piled to the right after the cutover from BC to WF and the BC extreme right had awesome powder for the 10-12 turns before the intersection. Lower Skyeburst was nice especially on the right. CC very nice for short and long turns. So cold though and my wife called it and probably made the right decision. Sunday and Monday will be the better days for weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor