• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, just finished skiing. Yes, blue bird today. Not crowded like I thought. I think the top opened by 10. I skied mainly 1,2,5, 14?. I skied Cornice only once. No grooming done due to storm day before. There were a couple of runs like Cornice where the new nice snow had blown away due to winds so it was hard to tell if upcoming run was snow or ice. Cold today so NO melting of snow and overall a really nice day.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Larry..how's the mountain skiing overall? The fresh is on top of what? Staying cold so I assume its got to be pretty good?

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Larry..how's the mountain skiing overall? The fresh is on top of what? Staying cold so I assume its got to be pretty good?
Just finished for today and the season (maybe)

For me, today was better. I give yesterday a 8.5 and today a 9 out of 10.

Now, if you like the powder(about 6" yesterday), then yesterday was better. Climax was the best based on the number of people going down it. The top is skiing very good. I was doing Cornice and Scotties today because rmthey groomed it. Overall, NO crowds and great skiing. I hear a possible 2 more storms this week so I see a great April and decent May unless the heat returns

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I should add that there are a few patches of ice still but not sure if that was the wind blowing snow off but nothing too serious. Mostly on the transition trails to get to the actual run

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds great..we are headed up this weekend and sounds like conditions are going to hold up just fine. Thanks for the on the ground report. When do you leave?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Jim Kenney how log will you be in Mammoth and any thoughts of heading up to Tahoe?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing Sunday and Monday but...Will send pm

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
First day ever at mammoth,great day snow better than expected, wind blown buff very nice off face,23 and gondi lifts. Nice sunshine, about 40 degs.
15 APR 2022: It was windy and many upper lifts were closed early, but they eventually opened.

Woolly mammoth inside McCoy Station
wholly mccoy station 15 apr.jpg
I was on a borrowed pair of Head I Titan skis that worked real well today (thanks @jmills115 and @bbinder . Parts of the mtn were firm, but parts had that great 2-6" of wind blown snow.
head i titan 15 apr.jpg

I found some good early skiing over by old double chairs 12 and 13.
chair 12 liftline 15 apr.jpg

very old school lift shack on chair 13!
13 lift shack 15 apr.jpg

I had been enjoying a bunch of fun runs off the Face lift and then around 1230PM they opened lift 23 which was even better and I spent quite a bit of time there.

chair 23 lift line, some of the runs up there from left to right are cornice bowl, dropout and wipeout chutes, and scotty's, I skied them all and all had good powdery snow. lift lines were very modest all around the mtn today.
23 liftline 15 apr.jpg

Wipeout chute from chair 23
upper 23 wipeout 15 apr.jpg
chair 23 from Wipeout chute
23 wipeout chute.jpg

First day ever at Mammoth and I loved the place! top of chair 23
jim top chair 23 15 apr.jpg

View of the Minarets from Scotty's
minarets chair 23 15 apr.jpg

Entering Dropout Chute
dropout chute 23 15 apr.jpg

Cornice bowl
cornice bowl 15 apr.jpg

I made it up to the top of the gondi just once. it opened about 2pm, this is the famous Mammoth Mtn wind buff at work
wind buff 15 apr mammoth.jpg

i wanna say this is part of climax slope from top of gondi.

climax bowl mammoth 15 apr.jpg

FUN DAY.

Last edited:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Jim Kenney not sure how we didn’t run into each other today as our day was very similar. One thing you didn’t mention that I’ll add is we had several amazing runs under the Broadway Express early (Gravy Chute to Glades??). Today was our last day there - flying out early tomorrow. Hope you have as much fun there as we did.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Jim Kenney I'm happy for you! Mammoth is our "home" (kind of, not really, but we like it way more than any of the Big Bear locations) away from home mountain. It's a lot of fun.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
15 APR 2022: It was windy and many upper lifts were closed early, but they eventually opened.

Woolly mammoth inside McCoy Station
View attachment 166573
I was on a borrowed pair of Head I Titan skis that worked real well today (thanks @jmills115 and @bbinder . Parts of the mtn were firm, but parts had that great 2-6" of wind blown snow.
View attachment 166562

I found some good early skiing over by old double chairs 12 and 13.
View attachment 166563

very old school lift shack on chair 13!
View attachment 166564

I had been enjoying a bunch of fun runs off the Face lift and then around 1230PM they opened lift 23 which was even better and I spent quite a bit of time there.

chair 23 lift line, some of the runs up there from left to right are cornice bowl, dropout and wipeout chutes, and scotty's, I skied them all and all had good powdery snow. lift lines were very modest all around the mtn today.
View attachment 166566

Wipeout chute from chair 23
View attachment 166570
chair 23 from Wipeout chute
View attachment 166569

First day ever at Mammoth and I loved the place! top of chair 23
View attachment 166574

View of the Minarets from Scotty's
View attachment 166579

Entering Dropout Chute
View attachment 166576

Cornice bowl
View attachment 166580

I made it up to the top of the gondi just once. it opened about 2pm, this is the famous Mammoth Mtn wind buff at work
View attachment 166581

i wanna say this is part of climax slope from top of gondi.

View attachment 166582

FUN DAY.
Wow. Gorgeous.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice to see it snowing on the cam this morning. Amazed to realize that April will turn out to be the second snowiest month.

Have fun out there.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don’t you want to see and ski it this spring?!
I do. I really do. I'm sure I'd be in heaven. However I think that ship has sailed for the season for this working guy. Not enough hours left in the vacation bank for another whole week of skiing. It's loooong trip from Maine to Mammoth no matter how you slice it. Decided I could make better use of the hours that are left on a shorter quicker jaunt to A-Basin. Higher proportion of ski to travel time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online