• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug and I will be at Mammoth mid morning and plan on bringing a bottle of bubbly, toasting to the 6th anniversary of SkiTalk.com
If anyone wants to join us we'll be at the top by the Totem Pole at 1:00 to celebrate. Anyone who wants to join us is welcome!
Woo hoo! Sad to miss you all. We won't be getting into town till 6ish.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Woo hoo! Sad to miss you all. We won't be getting into town till 6ish.
Bummer but with our shop schedule firing up, weekends are a no go for us right now.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Besides the CHP, watch out for freezing fog if you are on 395 early tomorrow.
2904WeatherWarning.PNG

I skied 830-230 without taking a lunch break, then did the long drive home via Gardnerville and Kirkwood from 3-9. Monitor Pass re-opened today which saves 10-15 miles and minutes, but means going from 5,000' by Topaz Lake to over 8,300' pass then back down to 5500' Markleeville (plus 8600' Carson Pass before KW). And going through Gardnerville saves almost a dollar a gallon on gas and gave me a few poor, slow choices for fast food.

Snow was better yesterday when I confirmed it was the first day this season for both Climax and chair 23. Today Mammoth was running chair 11 for beginner terrain and it seemed like the first time they groomed World Cup. They have been grooming Solitude on chair 5 which probably won't open until you can ski down to base of chair 2.

I skied Dave's 5x, Rock Garden once and Cornice at least twice. Snow on Dave's was not as good as yesterday as there was some upslope wind, but it was still good enough to make the slog out there and back. Pictures are Tony Crocker and his wife Liz on Dave's. Liz always went through the narrow part skiers right of rocks while Tony and I usually went left of the rocks where entry is steeper and more exposed.
2875LizOnDaves.JPG
2881LizLowerOnDaves.JPG
2888TonyCOnDaves.JPG
Exit traverse is OK, but getting past the fumaroles whether way above, just above or below requires some rock dodging. We also skied good snow on West Bowl, then found Drop Out 1 and 3 were almost as good as previous day. Crowds started lower than Wed, but picked up before noon with a few minute line on chairs 1 and 3 and lower gondola.

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I'm still not sure. I had choice of Jack-in-the-Box, Taco Bell and Burger King (where I had quick drive-thru on way to Mammoth, but ordered wrong thing which was barely edible). I checked doors to both Jack and Taco Bell as I needed to use bathroom and they were locked/drive-thru only which seems like something that should be over by now, especially in conservative Douglas County. So I waited in slow drive-thru at Jack that took between 10-15 minutes for 5-6 vehicles. Food was OK, but it took too long for what it was. I'd thought about going into grocery store and getting prepared food and it probably would have been better and faster.

My route to Mammoth included San Jose to South Lake Tahoe which took not much over 3 1/2 hrs leaving at 7 PM Tues evening. Then on Wed morning, SLT to Gardnerville was about 30 min leaving a little before 6 AM, then I had 2 hrs Gardnerville to Mammoth (using radar detector). There are often amazing sunrise on this route. This was taken out of moving vehicle between base of Kingsbury Grade and Gardnerville at 6:30 AM.
2863MindenSunrise.JPG

Tony

tseeb
Skier
A few gratuitous pictures of me taken by Tony Crocker and borrowed from trip report at https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/threads/mammoth-ca-nov-10-and-11-2021.14441/#post-84480

First is entering Drop Out 1 on Wednesday 11/10
2001DropOut1.JPG

Next is Wipe Out 1 where picture makes me look like I was skiing way better than I was feeling near the end of my first day of the season
2012WipeOut1.JPG

Next two pictures are from Thursday 11/11. First is in Dave's. The narrower route Liz always took was to left of rocks that I'm to right of.
2031Daves.JPG

Last is in China Bowl which is a route from Dave's back to gondola mid-station that we tried once. Usually it's much wider as it fills in.
I was glad I went with shorter radius skis the second day as I started day a little sore and found it a lot easier to stay in line with them.
2038ChinaBowl.JPG

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Now Tony will have exciting memories for years about his early November Mammoth Trip of 2021.

Nicely taken ski photos from well consider locations with decent snow illumination. Wipe Out shot incl rocks lift sky excellent. Good examples of showing steep skiing effectively.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
A few gratuitous pictures of me taken by Tony Crocker and borrowed from trip report at https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/threads/mammoth-ca-nov-10-and-11-2021.14441/#post-84480

First is entering Drop Out 1 on Wednesday 11/10
View attachment 148344

Next is Wipe Out 1 where picture makes me look like I was skiing way better than I was feeling near the end of my first day of the season
View attachment 148345

Next two pictures are from Thursday 11/11. First is in Dave's. The narrower route Liz always took was to left of rocks that I'm to right of.
View attachment 148346

Last is in China Bowl which is a route from Dave's back to gondola mid-station that we tried once. Usually it's much wider as it fills in.
I was glad I went with shorter radius skis the second day as I started day a little sore and found it a lot easier to stay in line with them.
View attachment 148347
Conditions look like they are holding up well. Friend I spoke to yesterday said crowds were very high this weekend, your pix don't show that at all.
By the way first pic is Drop 3, from lookers, it's cornice, D1, D2, D3, then W1, W2, W3, Hump...
Great shots though

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can confirm. There were a LOT of people on Saturday. The cars were parked alongside the road all the way down to the earthquake fault rock area. Chair 5 and 12 were open though, along with Discovery chair, which helped to disperesr

We were too busy skiing yesterday to take any pictures. First day of the season, and skied bell to bell! We ended up taking a private lesson in the afternoon which helped mitigate the lift lines and had some aha moments.

This morning's view:
20211114_071811.jpg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I'd also heard from other sources that Chair 5 opened with Solitude that we'd seen them grooming earlier in week and even though you could not ski to base of Chair 2, and that chair 6 opened and it was busy with parking filling to the base of not-running chair 4.

Now Tony will have exciting memories for years about his early November Mammoth Trip of 2021.
I also skied Mammoth in November 2019, but it was much different conditions since it was only chair 1 open on man-made snow two years ago. Over the two days, I rode it more than 50 times. They had three routes down; only Andy's was advanced. But Tioga Pass was still open so I had much shorter drive home and hiked to Tuolumne Grove giant sequoias on my way through Yosemite.

I've made it to Mammoth for a couple of days, usually in May, during each of the last 10 seasons. 2019-20 was the only one of the last 4 years that I only had one Mammoth trip since they were not open in May due to COVID. I'd like to get my wife down for at least one day at June, which looked well covered when I drove by on Wed, on way to Mammoth this season.

By the way first pic is Drop 3, from lookers, it's cornice, D1, D2, D3, then W1, W2, W3, Hump...
Great shots though
Thanks. My friend had led me to believe that both D-outs and W-outs started with 1 closest to lift and went out from there. The online maps don't have any details but https://patrol.mammothmountain.com/Atlas/AtlasIndex/AtlasIndex.html (which is a great resource) agrees with you.

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
Not much to add on my part... I skied Wed. Afternoon, Thurs & Fri., but decided to leave at 1:30 Fri...
The crowd size was EPIC on Friday !!! Thankfully the upper Mtn was clear (expect for Cornice, which became the usual people bowling alley...). D1 and D3 were quite good, upper D3 being some of the best snow. Dave's also quite good, consistent. The exit on China Bowl, as Tony noted, was best done straight line (once you've scoped the rocks... LOL!)
Upper CLimax was super!, Lower Climax had some of the best, most consistent rock ... LOL! Very doable, but best to have a well defined line. Being the 1st skiing in almost 2 seasons, I did keep it reasonable and only played around on the fine surface of the lower dropouts...
Face of 3 was fun. It had been left ungroomed, so some round bumps developed, which made it much more interesting than usual. Directly under Chair 3 was good on Wed afternoon, but set up a bit firmer on Thurs....
Tony's photos did a better job showing the conditions, than the few I took...
What convinced me to leave on Friday afternoon, were the swarms of skiers coming down Saddle bowl (trail behind Upper rock formation of Chair 3 offload) - it was CRAZY !!!! On my final run I watched 3 collisions there ( stopped behind the patrol red poles indicating poor cover...) . Way TOOOO many skiers/boarders straight-lining with no obvious ability to make corrections to their trajectory... It was the scariest I've ever seen up there.
When I drove down, on Friday, the cars were parked down past Woolly's Tubing Park and more were lined up, coming up the road. Holiday weekend crowds, all packed into 25% of Mammoth. Scary...
Still, the skiing I had was awesome fun! Looking forward to another trip as soon as they get another solid snowfall. But it'll only be mid-week... NO Fri-Sun Ski trips planned for me... LOL!
Ski On
Yuri

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Not much to add on my part... I skied Wed. Afternoon, Thurs & Fri., but decided to leave at 1:30 Fri...
The crowd size was EPIC on Friday !!! Thankfully the upper Mtn was clear (expect for Cornice, which became the usual people bowling alley...). D1 and D3 were quite good, upper D3 being some of the best snow. Dave's also quite good, consistent. The exit on China Bowl, as Tony noted, was best done straight line (once you've scoped the rocks... LOL!)
Upper CLimax was super!, Lower Climax had some of the best, most consistent rock ... LOL! Very doable, but best to have a well defined line.
You were brave to ski Climax. We heard it was punchy, from mostly being weeks old snow that had not been skied, and best done on a board.
But it'll only be mid-week NO Fri-Sun Ski trips planned for me...
+1 After being retired for 10+ years, I feel for people skiing weekends which now seems to include Friday and I mostly avoid them until late season. Even when I was working, I would often ski Sun and Mon or Fri and Sun and either XC or drive-up on Sat.

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some photos from the weekend. I tend to be the picture taker, so no action shots of me, just DH. 20211115_112205.jpg 20211114_105813.jpg 20211115_112500.jpg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was also this random guy:roflmao:
20211114_171107.jpg

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
They used front end loader and pushed a bunch of snow onto Broadway, made snow all night.
Top is still good.
Kinda the same as yesterday.
0CEFBC79-94F9-4CF9-91B7-1F5B0E8EF3D2.jpeg
Today’s action shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online