• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
It’s been PSIA deep here this week, examiners rodeo .

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I car camp, I was in the back , 3:30am, drinking coffee, surfing inter webs, I felt the car move, wind?
Turned on my headlamp, looked out the passenger window, 6” from my face was a bear staring back at me!
I’m a little puckered & finishing my coffee now.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I car camp, I was in the back , 3:30am, drinking coffee, surfing inter webs, I felt the car move, wind?
Turned on my headlamp, looked out the passenger window, 6” from my face was a bear staring back at me!
I’m a little puckered & finishing my coffee now.
:geek:

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
25471918-F08A-45B4-9089-F7D29421F7E6.jpeg
moving snow this morning

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Sonora Pass, which saves about 40 minutes and 50 miles between San Jose and Mammoth compared to taking Carson Pass and Gardnerville, re-opened on Mon 11/15. Trip is still 5 1/2 hrs without stops. I'd probably only use it on return as I spend night in South Lake Tahoe then get up early enough to be at Mammoth near opening and fill-up on less expensive Nevada gas. These were gas prices in Bridgeport and Lee Vining last week.
2902BridgeportGas.JPG
2899LeeViningGas.JPG Ebbetts Pass also re-opened, but is not recommended to save any time.

If you take Sonora Pass, make sure to downshift and don't burn up your brakes. It is steepest highway I know in CA with grades up to 26%. I took it very carefully Eastbound in my truck camper to ski Mammoth July 1-3, 2019 as Tioga was not open when I needed it. But I don't think I'd try it Westbound in camper without an exhaust brake as my SUV requires a lot of braking on a couple of the downhills to stay at/under 45 in 1st gear.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I'm actually surprised Bridgeport had gas under $6, I was speculating that it would be nearer 7 for premium by now.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Sonora Pass, which saves about 40 minutes and 50 miles between San Jose and Mammoth compared to taking Carson Pass and Gardnerville, re-opened on Mon 11/15. Trip is still 5 1/2 hrs without stops. I'd probably only use it on return as I spend night in South Lake Tahoe then get up early enough to be at Mammoth near opening and fill-up on less expensive Nevada gas. These were gas prices in Bridgeport and Lee Vining last week.
View attachment 148748
View attachment 148749 Ebbetts Pass also re-opened, but is not recommended to save any time.
Bridgeport, Death Valley & Mendocino are the most expensive places to buy gas in CA.
If you can get 35 miles up 395 to Coleville CA or down to Bishop gas will be about a dollar and a half cheaper. Both run by Native Americans.
The Coleville one closes early -maybe 6 ish. . Even better would be Gardnerville or Carson City.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most expensive gas I ever bought, at the time, was at the western entrance to death valley. Only bought enough to get to Beatty. They didn't even have a restroom available for my wife.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Most expensive gas I ever bought, at the time, was at the western entrance to death valley. Only bought enough to get to Beatty. They didn't even have a restroom available for my wife.
Panamint Springs? We were there quite few years ago and couldn't believe how much gas was.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I always though Lee Vining was the most expensive gas I had ever seen in the lower 48. Bridgeport always seemed a little less. YMMV :huh:

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Job available for someone ! This guy has lived at the top of the Mammoth Gondola for 18 years ! An employee who wants to leave in 2 years.
He has the power to shut the gondola down in wind or bad weather. Sometimes he is by himself for 5 days. Hired by Dave McCoy and the ski
area doesn't know how to replace him !

https://www.latimes.com/environment...lifornia-volcano?utm_id=42624&sfmc_id=1897380
Living higher than any other Californian would be saying a lot. :ogcool:

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
It wasn't the crowds or limited terrain that cut my past few days short- it was the smoke from the prescribed burns near deadmans ....

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Yes, Roma’s room is open

Gnarvin

Putting on skis
Skier
For this coming weekend, what is your best guess for about how early would I have to get to the main base area to get parking to avoid having to park a ways out and need to take a shuttle/walk longer than a few minutes?

itcomestoosoon

Booting up
Skier
I always though Lee Vining was the most expensive gas I had ever seen in the lower 48. Bridgeport always seemed a little less. YMMV :huh:
eastern sierra had the most expensive gas out of any region I’ve seen, but a road-side inn in Big Sur takes the cake for most expensive gas I’ve ever seen.

Back in May, I nearly paid 6.05 per gallon for gas in Big Sur. That was when urban prices were hovering near lower part of $4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online