• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Skis are waxed and loaded. Boot bags by the front door. Sugartime for a couple hours tomorrow arriving around 11am. Retro PuGSki stickers on helmets. Say hey if you see us there.

Last edited:

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well today was a total s**tshow at Snowshoe. They only had 15 trails open and two lifts. Wait was a minimum of 25-30 minutes. Hoping everyone goes home and that they have more lifts running tomorrow.
We actually parked in a lot next to Shavers and booted up inside with minimal people around. Probably wasn’t suppose to park there, but to good a spot not to....:)

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
11" here in NoVa today - too sticky for the ski chair (no luck with a kayak either' but had to try).
As nice as it is to have some snow here I'd rather it have been in the mountains. Hopefully won't be too long before we get power back, but not holding my breath.

Jay Marcoux

I ski and I know things.
Skier
Hey everyone! I have been quiet this season.... I am a ski coach at Appalachian on Saturdays. I was there 11/27, 12/4, and 12/18 (lots of rain on 12/11). 11/27 and 12/4 had decent conditions. 12/18 was warm, not bad in the morning. Our race training for 12/18 was postponed, so I am hoping that all is well for this Saturday.

The forecast looks cold, so I'd expect snow guns to cover terrain quickly. App is small, so that is an advantage - getting to full coverage quickly.

I'll be at Snowshoe for a PSIA event Feb. 2nd and 3rd. Hoping for lots of cold and snow between now and then.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hey everyone! I have been quiet this season.... I am a ski coach at Appalachian on Saturdays. I was there 11/27, 12/4, and 12/18 (lots of rain on 12/11). 11/27 and 12/4 had decent conditions. 12/18 was warm, not bad in the morning. Our race training for 12/18 was postponed, so I am hoping that all is well for this Saturday.

The forecast looks cold, so I'd expect snow guns to cover terrain quickly. App is small, so that is an advantage - getting to full coverage quickly.

I'll be at Snowshoe for a PSIA event Feb. 2nd and 3rd. Hoping for lots of cold and snow between now and then.
I was there Sunday the 5th.

Skied Sugar today and about 1pm I remembered why I usually avoid that place.. Today is Tuesday right? It was Saturday level packed on a Tuesday hahaha. Got a few laps in before things stacked up though..

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Skied Sugar today and about 1pm I remembered why I usually avoid that place.. Today is Tuesday right? It was Saturday level packed on a Tuesday hahaha. Got a few laps in before things stacked up though..
The kids are still out of school so it will be busy until they go back.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier

College kids are still out all this week and today was a snow day for all the local schools, those are always bad. They can't make it to school but they can sure make it to the ski hill. I was going to go tomorrow but looked it up and all the schools are on a 3 hour delay so I am worried enough kids might stay home that it will be packed again. I will wait until next week, hopefully it should be back to normal by then.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The kids are still out of school so it will be busy until they go back.

College kids are still out all this week and today was a snow day for all the local schools, those are always bad. They can't make it to school but they can sure make it to the ski hill. I was going to go tomorrow but looked it up and all the schools are on a 3 hour delay so I am worried enough kids might stay home that it will be packed again. I will wait until next week, hopefully it should be back to normal by then.
It was mostly international travelers, including Florida and Georgia hahaha.. or appeared that way. College kids too. Mine was there with me. Schools were on 2-3 hour delays, not full day off.

I gotta think a lot of folks looked at the weather last week and changed their reservations to this week instead of last week.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
It was mostly international travelers, including Florida and Georgia hahaha.. or appeared that way. College kids too. Mine was there with me. Schools were on 2-3 hour delays, not full day off.

I gotta think a lot of folks looked at the weather last week and changed their reservations to this week instead of last week.
I'm sure a good combination of all the above. I saw the camera at the base around 2:30, and like you said above it was weekend packed. I'm afraid tomorrow might be the same, so one more week it is for me.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well today was a total s**tshow at Snowshoe. They only had 15 trails open and two lifts. Wait was a minimum of 25-30 minutes. Hoping everyone goes home and that they have more lifts running tomorrow.
We actually parked in a lot next to Shavers and booted up inside with minimal people around. Probably wasn’t suppose to park there, but to good a spot not to....:)
Let me expand on this one some-
We went up on New Year's day and our first day skiing was Sunday- the weather was terrible with intermittent rain throughout the day. But we did get about 4 hours with no rain or just misty. They only had 15 trails open on Sunday and for the most part they we in decent shape considering the horrible weather. They also had about 5 lifts open so getting back up the hill wasn't that bad. Even Ballhooter wasn't that bad.

Now comes Monday- it snowed over night and they stated accumulation was about 2". They ran snowmaking over night and most of the day on Monday. Same 15 trails, but now they only ran two lifts (WTF)- Ballhooter and Powder Monkey. Not sure why they closed down the other 2 lifts around Powder Monkey, but that made for a nightmare. Plus line management was non-existent and it was a free-for-all in the lift lines. Seemed like they were more concerned with scanning passes than managing traffic, but they didn't do either very well.

Tuesday was much better- bluebird day and they shut the snowmaking down after about an hour due to temps. The website stated that they would have the same trails and lifts open, so we weren't happy to read that. We got to the mountain for rope drop and were pleased to find that they had 6 lifts running and opened up some more trails. Really had a good day overall.

Wednesday we were leaving, but my son and I got over to the mountain for rope drop and got a good six runs by 10, then headed back to Elk River Inn to pack up and drive home. They did open up some more terrain and the coverage was getting better. They were even going to open up Silver Creek at noon- this was closed since Saturday.

One thing that I found interesting was that when they had an injured skier- they would transport them back up the mountain on the Ballhooter lift. This happened twice on Tuesday. Would it make more sense to pull the sled up the mountain with a snowmobile? The one was a kid with a broken arm, the other was an adult with a leg injury. The would stop the lift, load the injured skier on, start the lift back up only to stop it after a few chairs and load up the sled. This was really baffling.

I think a place like this should require every skier to read the skiers code before being allowed on the mountain- that's all I'll say about that....

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Would it make more sense to pull the sled up the mountain with a snowmobile?
Interesting thought. That isn't normally an option -- only makes sense on an upside an upside down mountain. I'm guessing patrollers are trained primarily to go down hill. Maybe someone in the know can weigh in.

Sure hope conditions improve - need to get some snow time in that doesn't involve shoveling.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting thought. That isn't normally an option -- only makes sense on an upside an upside down mountain. I'm guessing patrollers are trained primarily to go down hill. Maybe someone in the know can weigh in.

Sure hope conditions improve - need to get some snow time in that doesn't involve shoveling.
My son was at the lift for the kid with the broken arm and heard the patroller ask for a snowmobile and was told one wasn't available. Since Snowshoe is an upside down hill I would think that pulling a sled uphill would be standard practice. But maybe someone that knows this mountain can answer this one

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Let me expand on this one some-
We went up on New Year's day and our first day skiing was Sunday- the weather was terrible with intermittent rain throughout the day. But we did get about 4 hours with no rain or just misty. They only had 15 trails open on Sunday and for the most part they we in decent shape considering the horrible weather. They also had about 5 lifts open so getting back up the hill wasn't that bad. Even Ballhooter wasn't that bad.

Now comes Monday- it snowed over night and they stated accumulation was about 2". They ran snowmaking over night and most of the day on Monday. Same 15 trails, but now they only ran two lifts (WTF)- Ballhooter and Powder Monkey. Not sure why they closed down the other 2 lifts around Powder Monkey, but that made for a nightmare. Plus line management was non-existent and it was a free-for-all in the lift lines. Seemed like they were more concerned with scanning passes than managing traffic, but they didn't do either very well.

Tuesday was much better- bluebird day and they shut the snowmaking down after about an hour due to temps. The website stated that they would have the same trails and lifts open, so we weren't happy to read that. We got to the mountain for rope drop and were pleased to find that they had 6 lifts running and opened up some more trails. Really had a good day overall.

Wednesday we were leaving, but my son and I got over to the mountain for rope drop and got a good six runs by 10, then headed back to Elk River Inn to pack up and drive home. They did open up some more terrain and the coverage was getting better. They were even going to open up Silver Creek at noon- this was closed since Saturday.

One thing that I found interesting was that when they had an injured skier- they would transport them back up the mountain on the Ballhooter lift. This happened twice on Tuesday. Would it make more sense to pull the sled up the mountain with a snowmobile? The one was a kid with a broken arm, the other was an adult with a leg injury. The would stop the lift, load the injured skier on, start the lift back up only to stop it after a few chairs and load up the sled. This was really baffling.

I think a place like this should require every skier to read the skiers code before being allowed on the mountain- that's all I'll say about that....
There is probably a labor availability issue with snow making windows and lift ops. With the labor shortage, they might have the same people running around managing the snow guns all night and morning so fewer folks available to swing chairs.

As for the snowmobile idea to haul sleds. The place I worked at stopped ALL vehicular traffic on the slopes during ski operation hours. It's just too big if a risk to have a skier and snow cat or snow mobile collision incident to worry about. Hell, back in the good old days we used to ski along following the groomer.. back in the lawn dart days LOL!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've decided to hit Massanutten for a few hours tomorrow morning (have to work some in the afternoon). They're expecting some snow, so I'm hopeful that they may open Showtime fully....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online