• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenda A.

Booting up
Skier
Anyone planning to go to Whitetail or Liberty opening weekend? I'm looking to make a short trip solo to get vertical before any major trips, but also looking to meet people and have fun. I'm comfortable with speed and proficient with rockies single black groomed, but working on bumps (I take breaks) and off piste.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone planning to go to Whitetail or Liberty opening weekend? I'm looking to make a short trip solo to get vertical before any major trips, but also looking to meet people and have fun. I'm comfortable with speed and proficient with rockies single black groomed, but working on bumps (I take breaks) and off piste.
Yeah, I often hit one of those opening weekend (or maybe the weekend after), as long as they have a couple of the blues open. I'm always happy to meet up and take a few runs too.

I just wish I knew when opening day would be... I really hope we don't have to wait until January!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've lived a LOT of places. Central NC is probably the best mix of recreational options I've been. 3 hours from white sand beaches where the water's in the 80s from May through September. 3 hours from 1K vert skiing up to 5400 elevation. Tons of other lakes and rivers and foothilly camping closer than the real mountains. Blue Ridge Parkway, Appalachian Trail all 100% in play. Cali's got better mountains but NC's got better beaches. Oh and sports teams are pretty good here too. Need a MLB franchise but the minor league scene's pretty cool.
NC is also a pretty state. Lots of trees. I love trees. And the mountains in NC are amazing. OLD mountains where one can feel the ghosts of those who tread there long ago. ogsmile

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
NC is also a pretty state. Lots of trees. I love trees. And the mountains in NC are amazing. OLD mountains where one can feel the ghosts of those who tread there long ago. ogsmile
Yes indeed, we have found the same. Our house is right where the coastal plain region meets the Piedmont region. Unfortunately construction keeps getting delayed, so most likely we won't be moved in until March at this point. Fortunately we do not have to put our current house on the market until the new one is ready...nice to have the flexibility.
I found it interesting that 6 of the 10 highest peaks on the east coast are in NC, 3 are nearby in Tennessee. Only one in the NE makes the top 10

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes indeed, we have found the same. Our house is right where the coastal plain region meets the Piedmont region. Unfortunately construction keeps getting delayed, so most likely we won't be moved in until March at this point. Fortunately we do not have to put our current house on the market until the new one is ready...nice to have the flexibility.
I found it interesting that 6 of the 10 highest peaks on the east coast are in NC, 3 are nearby in Tennessee. Only one in the NE makes the top 10
I’ve hiked Grandfather Mtn in NC….is it the highest? Anyways, beautiful, and so interesting….sub-alpine environment up there, which is neat for a “southern” state. Then there’s the Deal’s Gap drive! People in the West, or East,, for that matter, who haven’t spent time in NC don’t realize the beauty that is there.

Good luck with your move in the spring! I’m sure you won’t miss the PA roads. :rolleyes:

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
Gunther Jochl....the owner of Sugar Mountain in NC... is "well-known" to be first to open and last to close here in NC...They have invested in a new fixed-grip quad on Big Birch and 5 SMI Snow-Making Machines on Oma's Meadow this year...That makes 4 new lifts in the last 6 years I believe. Got up here to Sugar this evening and it is getting cold as hell fast. I left Pinehurst this afternoon 70 degrees and got up here and it's 36 degrees....Gotta love this Tarheel State!

Last edited:

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’ve hiked Grandfather Mtn in NC….is it the highest? Anyways, beautiful, and so interesting….sub-alpine environment up there, which is neat for a “southern” state. Then there’s the Deal’s Gap drive! People in the West, or East,, for that matter, who haven’t spent time in NC don’t realize the beauty that is there.

Good luck with your move in the spring! I’m sure you won’t miss the PA roads. :rolleyes:
Mt. Mitchell is the highest...but Grandfather Mountain is probably the more famous...Yes great hiking up here!

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
The Roundtop micro-Gathering talk has begun! I'm in. As long as I'm around.

I'm in for meet-ups at any of the "Ski Little 3."

What's the participation range for a micro-Gathering? More than 3, less than 9?

Reactions: zag

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in for meet-ups at any of the "Ski Little 3."

What's the participation range for a micro-Gathering? More than 3, less than 9?
I haven't thought about it much.... just spit-balling, I guess I'd say:

non: 1
micro: 2-10
mini: 11-40
full: 41+

:)

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Good luck with your move in the spring! I’m sure you won’t miss the PA roads. :rolleyes:"

I'm originally from NJ...the PA roads are fine and dandy by comparison. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.