• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mod Note: Since it's that time of year, and we've got a good discussion of some Mid-A ski areas here, this is retroactively becoming the 2021-2022 Mid-A weather, stoke, resort, travel, and meetup thread. (For anyone looking for NE PA info, there is a specific thread here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/202...er-area-ski-resorts-conditions-meetups.24009/ )

Mid-A Gathering at Timberline anyone? :)

Let's all hope for some snow!!

Now back to the thread....

:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:

I will be moving from NE PA to the Raleigh NC area some time early next year (exactly when will depend on the availability of building supplies). Looking for any insights on the ski areas that would be closest, which would probably mean within a 4 hour drive. Likes, dislikes, etc. In other words, some local knowledge. Would be primarily skiing mid-week.
I would like to say I'll miss being within 30-40 minutes of all the Pocono ski areas...but honestly after skiing them all for 40+ years, I won't.

Last edited by a moderator:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Best terrain=Sugar
Best vibe=Beech @5400 feet elevation
Best place to hit for a short session or take kids to learn=Appalachian 340 vert total.. tiny!
Best place to take a scout troop=WinterPlace.. A little bigger than Appalachian but with some slopeside on site bunk houses.
Best place to run 1000' vert laps on really nice terrain =Wintergreen when Highlands are open but that's always the last terrain opened except for Oz at Beech.

Most crowded on holidays,, ALL OF THEM :-( None of them take any good multi resort passes either..

Last edited:
TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
yes, you will ogwink
I'll take that bet...LOL. After 40+ years of skiing these molehills, it would be difficult to commit to one place for getting a pass....and daily tickets are way too expensive. I would probably just go out whenever there's a good snowstorm blowing through. Had one great day this past year doing that!

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Best terrain=Sugar
Best place to hit for a short session or take kids to learn=Appalachian 340 vert total.. tiny!
Best place to take a scout troop=WinterPlace.. A little bigger than Appalachian but with some slopeside bunk houses.
Best place to run 1000' vert laps on really nice terrain =Wintergreen when Highlands are open but that's always the last terrain opened except for Oz at Beech.

Most crowded on holidays,, ALL OF THEM :-( None of them take any good multi resort passes either..
Thanks for that info. It's a shame Sugar doesn't offer any kind of senior discount, that would probably be my go-to area if it did. The nice thing is that Sugar and Beech are close enough that I could hit both areas on a 2-3 day trip.
Wolf is tempting since I would be able to ski 100% free, have you ever been there?
I pass the Wintergreen area every trip down there (take 81 to 64, then cut down to 29 via 151 and 6). I never see that place written up anywhere, so I wasn't sure it was still operational.

And I don't go near ANY ski area around the holidays! LOL

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@Lady_Salina and @Old boot will meet you anyplace around Boone if they're not working when you go there.. I'm kinda offline for $$$ trips on a whim these days with kids in college and approaching college age.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Thanks for that info. It's a shame Sugar doesn't offer any kind of senior discount, that would probably be my go-to area if it did. The nice thing is that Sugar and Beech are close enough that I could hit both areas on a 2-3 day trip.
Wolf is tempting since I would be able to ski 100% free, have you ever been there?
I pass the Wintergreen area every trip down there (take 81 to 64, then cut down to 29 via 151 and 6). I never see that place written up anywhere, so I wasn't sure it was still operational.

And I don't go near ANY ski area around the holidays! LOL
Wolf's beyond my day trip range, bit I did hit Cattaloochee one weekend. @Carolinacub is our local Wolf Creek ambassador I know he will try very hard to meet up with you if you decide to check out Wolf..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'll take that bet...LOL. After 40+ years of skiing these molehills, it would be difficult to commit to one place for getting a pass....and daily tickets are way too expensive. I would probably just go out whenever there's a good snowstorm blowing through. Had one great day this past year doing that!
I feel ya. I've lost the motivation to get up and leave before 6am to get early or first chair laps in around here. I'm more of the find an off day and show up around 10:30 for a couple hours now that I've skied all these places a bunch of times. Drop me in a new geo area and I'm sure I'd be more excited to go ski the new options a couple times :cool:

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Winterplace is another option. It's all interstate driving from Raleigh and looks like its only 20-30 minutes further than the NC resorts.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for making me aware of that place. I'll put it on my list.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Winterplace is another option. It's all interstate driving from Raleigh and looks like its only 20-30 minutes further than the NC resorts.
I had it here. I like it for nice steep little runs that don't wear out an old guy too quickly along with some longer fun green/blue/green groomers. Good point about right off the interstate. Easy, low stress drive. What are your thoughts about it?
Best terrain=Sugar
Best place to take a scout troop=WinterPlace.. A little bigger than Appalachian but with some slopeside on site bunk houses.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I see that now...but since you framed it around the bunkhouses for scout troops, my mind just passed it by...LOL.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
The most important thing is avoid all weekends from Xmas through Pres day. Don't be tempted by the WROD. Get VERY familiar with Delta and Southwest schedules (SLC) and the American and United schedules (DEN). It is worth it to drive to Canaan Valley for 2-3 days, 2-3 times. The best thing about the NC and Va ski areas, and Winterplace, is that there are several so you can play the field. One would be very boring. Wintergreen strangely feels bigger than it is, but is likely to be the most crowded any given Sunday. Beech on a late February bluebird day when the grill is smoking and you can cut through the trees can be really fun, definitely my favorite vibe; give them a reliable 125" of fresh a year and it could be really good.

And welcome to the club !

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regarding Winterplace... great place to take small kids in my experience - but NOT ON IN-SEASON WEEKENDS which are mobbed by Allegany and mid-west bus loads. Easy parking, reasonable chance of fresh snow once in awhile, lots of short lifts, nice terrain variety. Strangely, fresh snow often keeps people away down here. Probably the most difficult slope in the region is Turkey Chute when it inevitably gets the frozen diagonal mogul ruts going.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
As I said, I'll be primarily skiing mid-week, so weekend crowds won't be an issue. And I'm keeping my snow tires just for the times when there is a fresh snowfall :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As I said, I'll be primarily skiing mid-week, so weekend crowds won't be an issue. And I'm keeping my snow tires just for the times when there is a fresh snowfall :)
Don't get too excited about fresh snow. Everyplace here runs the rollers all night to instantly pack down every inch. With the wild temp swings and rain (ya lots of rain) the resorts have to survive on a base of ice under some hardpack. Fresh snow gets washed away too quickly if it doesn't get groomed down before the nest 40 degree rainy day. The best light snow days around here are the ones where you are there while it's dumping. Oddball really big storms mid week and you can get lucky... if not enough employees showed up to get it packed down. But when it's only 100-150 acres, they can and do get it smashed down before the place opens most if the time.

The roads, on the other hand can be quite sketchy. Snows, AWD or chains are sometimes required to get up the Beech access road. Highly recommended for Sugar and Wintergreen as well. I've made a 20" fresh powder day at Beech with a Forester and mediocre all seasons. That was a drive I wouldn't want to try again though.. really challenging. I now have better eco compound hybrid type all seasons and they've been bulletproof for the ice and snow we get around here.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty much the same deal in the Poconos. If the snow is done by the time the overnight grooming is done, it's flatter than a pancake. Only once have I ever seen an area leave a couple of trails with deep snow for the next day...that was once at Camelback, they left Big Pocono and Cliffhanger with about 12" of fresh snow ("Pocono Powder" LOL) on them. I think most people who ventured down those trails did it once...and only once. This past winter I had one day where the snow started early in the morning, and peaked late morning...had about 6-8 inches of fresh snow all day. Those are the days I try to be ready for

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
hey @johnnyvw welcome to the SE - everything has already been said. Sugar is our favorite but have done time at all mentioned.

For sure avoid holiday weekends at all cost. Just don't do it. Midweeks you can get some great low to no crowds runs in, Sugar and Beech can be done same day if you're game, but, correct no good pass products.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
The Indy Pass includes Winterplace, Massanutten, Canaan Valley, & Chataloochee.
Canaan Valley resort is never ever crowded, plus they get 150-200" of snow per season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January