• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The Indy Pass includes Winterplace, Massanutten, Canaan Valley, & Chataloochee.
Canaan Valley resort is never ever crowded, plus they get 150-200" of snow per season.
Indy Pass is hardly a value unless you travel. Gets you 2 days at each for $300, but gotta pay another $100 to use it weekends or holidays prime season. Every place listed is more than 3 hours from Raleigh, closer to 4-6 hours. If it included Wintergreen and the Boone areas I'd be all over it..

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Bryce is also on the Indy pass.

You can use the Indy Pass at Canaan Valley, Bryce, Massanutten, or Chataloochee. on weekends & holidays as there are no restrictions or blackout dates

List of Blackout Dates

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
For me personally, since I am eligible for senior pricing (at the resorts that have it), the IndyPass isn't worth it unless I can make some firm plans pre-season to travel, at the very least into New England. But something I'll keep in mind, as I'm hoping to do a large family trip out west somewhere.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really don't want to be "senior", but I am looking forward to "senior pricing" and mid-week skiing in several more years....

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Fun fact. Appalachian usually has $5 lift tickets the first Saturday and Sunday in December.. It's their anniversary party special. You have to buy them online to get the special though.

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
Make sure you ski Sugar and Beech during the week...avoid weekends/holidays at all costs. Keep in mind you are skiing in the South, temperatures and weather can change drastically within a 3 1/2 hour drive. You can be playing golf in Pinehurst with a Temperature of 55 degrees and then 3 1/2 hour drive later be skiing with a temperature of 30 degrees...WARNING: SnowGuns will be blowing at any opportunity that the wet bulb temperature permits during November, December, January...then they call off the "dogs" around February/March. Once again...you are skiing in the South...not out West or in the Northeast...But at the vary least you are skiing and can experience a winter season. Last Year I skied 33 Days from Nov.19th to March 17th...not bad for NC...Hope to see you on the slopes!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I dub this our official "Mid Atlantic/Southeastern side meetups and conditions thread..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My wife and I live part-time at Sugar Ski and CC @ Sugar Mountain on Oma's Meadow...Anyone that is interested in meeting up...just PM me. I will keep up on the conditions the best I can throughout.
MLK Day (Monday) is a definite possibility for me to hit Sugar. Mini gathering?

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Johnnyvw, an advanced welcome to the Raleigh area!! I live in Wake Forest and work quite a bit in Raleigh. I try to day trip or overnight to Sugar at least once a week. Sugar has the best terrain to me. Beech is just not worth the extra bit of a drive, but can be okay if a change of scenery is needed.

As David mentioned above, the snow guns can be a real nuisance but it goes with the territory skiing in NC. On Sunday night I will check the weather forecast and try to pick a day when the temp looks like it might get above freezing in hopes they'll turn the guns off by mid morning and the snow will soften up nicely. Had decent luck last year with my day selections.

Hey David, I look forward to meeting up with you again this season.

Dr. Mark posts on here occasionally too, he skis Sugar about every day.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I dub this our official "Mid Atlantic/Southeastern side meetups and conditions thread..
Nah... we need to have an official one... feel free to start it if you like, and follow the naming template! (See all the other pinned ones for reference.) Or I will start one soon.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Well that could be helpful if we ski with you, would we get to bye-pass the long lift lines? ;)
If you're here at the Wolf skiing with me then yes you get to jump line. But beware, if you're a halfway decent skier then we'll be trying to recruit you.

p.s. If you do want to come to Wolf let me know. I can cover your pass.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nah... we need to have an official one... feel free to start it if you like, and follow the naming template! (See all the other pinned ones for reference.) Or I will start one soon.
Why not just rename this one (with permission of OP)? It's already all about the same info. Or start another and merge them? Seems easier to just rename if JWV's good with it.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
It seems like there is enough interest in having a Southeast thread all on its own as that is all that has been discussed here and no, I'm not organizing a mid-Atlantic gathering.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It seems like there is enough interest in having a Southeast thread all on its own as that is all that has been discussed here
Well according to the SkiTalk categories, Mid-Atlantic includes North Carolina. Things can always split based on finer grained areas, much as the NEPA area typically has it's own thread.

no, I'm not organizing a mid-Atlantic gathering.
Aww...c'mon! :) Actually, since I think we should go back to Timberline and Canaan, maybe it makes sense to solicit an organizer from someone who skis there a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online