• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
So what is Snowshoe typically like the week before Xmas as far as snow conditions and percent open?
We got a long trip planned for February/March and my son picked up new boots this past spring and needs some time on them before hand.
We have the ikon pass and thought this would be the easiest and cheapest place to go at that time for us.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
@johnnyvw, any objection?
Sorry for the late reply, Friday I drove down to the Raleigh area to help my step-son and DIL move into their new house near Jordan Lake, and drove back yesterday. Looks like construction on our house may resume as we got the I-joists delivered...hoping for late January-early Feb completion. (we will be in Willow Spring, just east of Fuquay-Varina)

Yeah, you can rename it or we can start a new thread...either way is fine, it's served it's purpose so far and if you leave the thread intact anyone else can chime in with input. My wife is going to love being able to leave the house in warmer temps, go skiing (the little she does anymore...), and then back home to the warmer temps. As they say "it's a nice place to visit...but she doesn't want to live there"...LOL

Depending on how things shake out, one way or the other I think I could manage a GTG. Since I typically take I-81 down to Staunton VA and then cut over on I-64 to pick up 29, any place along that corridor is eezy-peezy, and anywhere in NC proper isn't out of the question

Last edited:

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
Johnnyvw, an advanced welcome to the Raleigh area!! I live in Wake Forest and work quite a bit in Raleigh. I try to day trip or overnight to Sugar at least once a week. Sugar has the best terrain to me. Beech is just not worth the extra bit of a drive, but can be okay if a change of scenery is needed.

As David mentioned above, the snow guns can be a real nuisance but it goes with the territory skiing in NC. On Sunday night I will check the weather forecast and try to pick a day when the temp looks like it might get above freezing in hopes they'll turn the guns off by mid morning and the snow will soften up nicely. Had decent luck last year with my day selections.

Hey David, I look forward to meeting up with you again this season.

Dr. Mark posts on here occasionally too, he skis Sugar about every
Sorry for the late reply, Friday I drove down to the Raleigh area to help my step-son and DIL move into their new house near Jordan Lake, and drove back yesterday. Looks like construction on our house may resume as we got the I-joists delivered...hoping for late January-early Feb completion. (we will be in Willow Spring, just east of Fuquay-Varina)

Yeah, you can rename it or we can start a new thread...either way is fine, it's served it's purpose so far and if you leave the thread intact anyone else can chime in with input. My wife is going to love being able to leave the house in warmer temps, go skiing (the little she does anymore...), and then back home to the warmer temps. As they say "it's a nice place to visit...but she doesn't want to live there"...LOL

Depending on how things shake out, one way or the other I think I could manage a GTG. Since I typically take I-81 down to Staunton VA and then cut over on I-64 to pick up 29, any place along that corridor is eezy-peezy, and anywhere in NC proper isn't out of the question
My wife is going to love being able to leave the house in warmer temps, go skiing (the little she does anymore...), and then back home to the warmer temps. As they say "it's a nice place to visit...but she doesn't want to live there"...LOL

OH YOU JUST WAIT...SHE'S GONNA LOVE IT ALL YEAR AROUND UP THERE ...TRUST ME!

I have lived in the Raleigh Area for almost 30 years and it is great...But Banner Elk, NC is where it's at...Sugar Mountain is Sweeter and They don't call Beech Mountain, "The Land of Oz" for nothing....LOL

See you up there soon....like next month!

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
She'll love it to visit...but not to live there. A big factor in the move is getting out of the snow belt. LOL

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've lived a LOT of places. Central NC is probably the best mix of recreational options I've been. 3 hours from white sand beaches where the water's in the 80s from May through September. 3 hours from 1K vert skiing up to 5400 elevation. Tons of other lakes and rivers and foothilly camping closer than the real mountains. Blue Ridge Parkway, Appalachian Trail all 100% in play. Cali's got better mountains but NC's got better beaches. Oh and sports teams are pretty good here too. Need a MLB franchise but the minor league scene's pretty cool.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
We've been pleasantly surprised by all that central NC has to offer. Development seems to be off the charts....that's good and bad, I guess. We've noticed the traffic isn't all that bad (yet...) all things considered.
Actually, a lot of what you described could also describe the area we currently live in....the difference being the snow LOL. The ridgeline the AT is on can actually seen from our house.

Ice2Pow

Booting up
Skier
So what is Snowshoe typically like the week before Xmas as far as snow conditions and percent open?
We got a long trip planned for February/March and my son picked up new boots this past spring and needs some time on them before hand.
We have the ikon pass and thought this would be the easiest and cheapest place to go at that time for us.
Guesstimate - 50% or more open. Worth it, I would think.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It seems like there is enough interest in having a Southeast thread all on its own as that is all that has been discussed here and no, I'm not organizing a mid-Atlantic gathering.

Well according to the SkiTalk categories, Mid-Atlantic includes North Carolina. Things can always split based on finer grained areas, much as the NEPA area typically has it's own thread.

Aww...c'mon! :) Actually, since I think we should go back to Timberline and Canaan, maybe it makes sense to solicit an organizer from someone who skis there a lot.

I will be skiing NE and yonder out West more than WV this year. Just sayin’

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Week or 2 BEFORE Christmas is usually excellent. Everyone's hunkered down at work to clear their ques for the holiday break. Slopes are empty during the day and not too bad those early December weekends. Thanksgiving weekend is packed but clears out closer to Christmas

Keith Moon

Booting up
Skier
That would work. Have the ikon pass, so that’s part is taken care of. Any thoughts on how the crowds will be Mon-Wednesday (Dec20-22)?
Chip,
The Shoe will almost certainly be 100% open by then. They are usually fully open by early-mid Dec.

The best advice for avoiding whatever crowds might be there is here:

https://jimandkelly.us/how-to-avoid-the-ballhooter-lift-line/

If you are a fan of black runs you can lap the Western Territory all day. I have never seen the WT crowded.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Ice2Pow , @crgildart and @Keith Moon - thanks for all the feedback. This is sounding very promising as the only times I've skied at Xmas has always been after and it's usually a mess.
This trip is basically to get my son on his new boots before we head out west for an extended trip- he picked up some new boots after the season ended and he needs to get some time on them to see if there are any adjustments needed. With that being said, I'm sure we will spend plenty of time in the WT.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@Ice2Pow , @crgildart and @Keith Moon - thanks for all the feedback. This is sounding very promising as the only times I've skied at Xmas has always been after and it's usually a mess.
This trip is basically to get my son on his new boots before we head out west for an extended trip- he picked up some new boots after the season ended and he needs to get some time on them to see if there are any adjustments needed. With that being said, I'm sure we will spend plenty of time in the WT.

There is no substitute for actually skiing in them, but putting them on for a couple of hours and walking around the house in them can help pack them out a little.. not much though. Others agree or disagree on that practice here. I'd do it if I had new boots to ski this winter though. Getting some laps on them in time to have adjustments made (if needed) before your big trip is a good plan for sure..

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Plus I have two new pairs of skis that I'm dying to try out- may have to pick up another pair before the trip as well ;)

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
I will be skiing NE and yonder out West more than WV this year. Just sayin’

Since you're the Gathermeister, I was going to volunteer (select) you to coordinate the gathering. Ran into Mayor and a three other Pugster's in the Valley this summer, maybe one of them have the time to put something together.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since you're the Gathermeister, I was going to volunteer (select) you to coordinate the gathering. Ran into Mayor and a three other Pugster's in the Valley this summer, maybe one of them have the time to put something together.

Just talked to the mayor. He and I nominate @Dean as the Gathermister. ogwink

With two trips already booked, and hoping to spend Feb in CT, may not be in WV from MLKish to second week of March.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor