• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is interesting... below is my complete list of favorites in OpenSnow, showing the snow forecast for the next ten days. It includes local places, plus places I'm planning to go (Taos, Aspen, Beaver Creek, Palisades, Mammoth, Killington). The orange bars are any snow over 6":

1642102205265.png

You can see that there are only 4 of them (which is not a lot). And especially strange is that the biggest ones are Massanutten, with 14", and Timberline with 13". The others are Whitetail with 6", and Killington with 10".

I don't think I've seen it like this before.... I know it's coincidental and some places out west are "getting the goods", but I thought it was interesting. Here's Massanutten by itself - I hope it actually pans out...

1642102418131.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You can see that there are only 4 of them (which is not a lot). And especially strange is that the biggest ones are Massanutten, with 14", and Timberline with 13". The others are Whitetail with 6", and Killington with 10".

I don't think I've seen it like this before.... I know it's coincidental and some places out west are "getting the goods", but I thought it was interesting. Here's Massanutten by itself - I hope it actually pans out...

You're missing 7S and Laurel - which is a bit of a shame since they have the best snowmaking window starting tonight and a snow event tomorrow.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You're missing 7S and Laurel - which is a bit of a shame since they have the best snowmaking window starting tonight and a snow event tomorrow.
Correct... since I wasn't thinking I'd get up there this season. Seven Springs would be highest on my list with 15" on Monday.

The $64,000 question is... how much of a madhouse are these places going to be with snowfall like that on the holiday?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Correct... since I wasn't thinking I'd get up there this season. Seven Springs would be highest on my list with 15" on Monday.

The $64,000 question is... how much of a madhouse are these places going to be with snowfall like that on the holiday?
Probably won't be crowded at all until about 10AM then a madhouse for sure!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I reckon Laurel will be awesome. I'm not even going to look at Snowshoe before Tuesday.

Otherwise :huh: I'm not even going to bother fighting the crowds - hit the 8-10 am time slot at WT, leave by noon OR do the crack-of-2pm evening shift at RT. For everything else there's Whitegrass.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Out at the Springs today. They finally christened the new Avalanche Chair and opened Avalanche for skiing. Skied good in the AM. North face now open too. Excellent coverage on open terrain.

Learned Seven Springs very short with snowmaking and grooming staff. Pay is only $10 to start. At the McDonalds in Donegal there’s a sign they are paying $15!
Anyway if this storm materializes my guy thought they would have a heck of a time moving it around and getting new terrain open.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sounds like the NC mountains will be getting hit pretty good. Weather.com is showing 11 to 17 inches for Blowing Rock Sunday through Sunday night. Getcher snow tires on! :ogbiggrin:

Best time to ski actual powder would be Sunday afternoon and evening while it's actually falling. No doubt it will all be rollered and packed down by 8am Monday morning. That's how they roll.. pack every drop so it lasts longer. Not many skiable glades that aren't trespassing.. But Cattaloochee Meadows might be fun. Low angle but open and ungroomed.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This is interesting... below is my complete list of favorites in OpenSnow, showing the snow forecast for the next ten days. It includes local places, plus places I'm planning to go (Taos, Aspen, Beaver Creek, Palisades, Mammoth, Killington). The orange bars are any snow over 6":

View attachment 155051

View attachment 155052
Ten day forecast is a bit long. I wonder how accurate it has been. I think a 7 day forecast is even a tuff call.
I am thinking about Blue Mountain PA one week from today and I have my doubts about a forecast for next week.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Best time to ski actual powder would be Sunday afternoon and evening while it's actually falling.
I think it will depend on particular timing, but I think you're right. Right now, for example, the heavy snow is expected at Massanutten from 4PM to 10PM on Saturday. (OpenSnow shows Saturday evening/night as Sunday snow.)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder how accurate it has been.
Not very... but usually there's some activity that the models project.

Often you see some snow predicted 5-10 days out, and it sometimes fizzles or grows. Having nothing for all those resorts is a little odd I think. I'm hoping it's not very accurate for Taos, as I'll be there in 9 days.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Forecast calls for up to 20" here, and Avery County 911 is calling residents to tell everyone to hunker down.

Conditions at Sugar have been improved as more terrain opens. Crowds mid-week are back to pre-Covid levels, thankfully.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Decent first day out at SS today - no crowds, felt better as the day progressed and some decent vert in. Would have loved to wait for the forecasted snow, but don't want to deal with crowds and next week is too close to Taos. They're getting more open, but like the rest of the area they could use the help. (Tragic getting 13" last Friday only to be washed away the next day)

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
I reckon Laurel will be awesome. I'm not even going to look at Snowshoe before Tuesday.

Otherwise :huh: I'm not even going to bother fighting the crowds - hit the 8-10 am time slot at WT, leave by noon OR do the crack-of-2pm evening shift at RT. For everything else there's Whitegrass.

It's a good question. We're planning to arrive at Snowshoe on Saturday, and it sounds like the big snow there (if it materializes) won't be till Sunday. (That's what I'm hoping.) I wonder how that will play out. When I've been there on previous holiday weekends, it clears out starting around 1-2 on the actual holiday, with people returning to work and school for Tuesday. I wonder if we're going to see people start to head home on Sunday trying to beat the storm so that they can be sure to be home on Tuesday. (We're staying and leaving late day Tuesday so hopefully will have some excellent skiing on Monday and Tuesday. Who knows about Sunday. I am sure it will be a zoo.)

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
well, if you're lucky on the timing, follow the tracks.... you might also notice it on the drive up....

scadgrad

Booting up
Skier
We're planning to hit M'Nut on Monday if we can get over Afton Mt. I'd say there's very little chance 33 will be cleared by then so I-64 to Waynesboro (maybe) or all the way up to Harrisonburg if that looks sketchy. The last storm took down a ridiculous number of pine trees on I-64 so let's hope there's no repeat. We hit M'Nut on Wed and had the place almost to ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online