• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Maybe MNut for me as well on Monday. Also considering Bryce since that looks to be more likely to be an all snow event. Has anyone here been to Bryce? Any chance they will leave things ungroomed?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe MNut for me as well on Monday. Also considering Bryce since that looks to be more likely to be an all snow event. Has anyone here been to Bryce? Any chance they will leave things ungroomed?
Never been there. Do they have webcams? Search youtube videos to see of there posts of people skiing ungroomed there?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Heh, Bryce. It's tiny. It's golf-course-level manicured, which is why they can grass ski there.

If enough people show up it will be 'ungroomed' by mid-afternoon. Because, again, tiny.

Seriously, the two reasons I used to go to Bryce are (a) NASTAR - which they're not running this season, yet and (b) the nearby ostrich farms with the direct sale steaks and sausages.

Last edited:

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'll probably roll the dice with Mnut on Monday then. Assuming we have not lost power. Wish i could hit TM on Tuesday but that is not in the cards. Following week should still be good.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, the memories... Beach Mountain on MLK weekend. This is the one or two days a year I got to go skiing growing up because my parents didn't ski and didn't know any better. So when people talk about waiting in line for 5 minutes as crowded... :duck:

As for the storm that's coming. I don't know how Beech or other mountains are going to safely stay open. OpenSnow has winds at 45 mph, but gusts 95-110!!! :eek:
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 12.06.26 PM.png

Screenshots from Beech webcams, 3 pm EST 1/15/22 - https://www.beechmountainresort.com/mountain/webcams/

Learning hill with magic carpet (This used to be a J-bar that I learned on!)
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.59.14 AM.png
Beginner lift line & slope
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.49.49 AM.png

Top of Beech
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.52.08 AM.png

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, the memories... Beach Mountain on MLK weekend. This is the one or two days a year I got to go skiing growing up because my parents didn't ski and didn't know any better. So when people talk about waiting in line for 5 minutes as crowded... :duck:

As for the storm that's coming. I don't know how Beech or other mountains are going to safely stay open. OpenSnow has winds at 45 mph, but gusts 95-110!!! :eek:
View attachment 155279

Screenshots from Beech webcams, 3 pm EST 1/15/22 - https://www.beechmountainresort.com/mountain/webcams/

View attachment 155276
View attachment 155277

Top of Beech
View attachment 155278
Holy s**t!!!! There’s SKIERS sitting in the snow too. LOL.
That isn’t skiing. I don’t know what it is, but, not skiing. :rolleyes:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure it is. When they go to the snow they sit. That's skiing. When they go to the gym they sit. That's exercise. Let's not be ableist. :roflmao:
Gotcha! ogsmile
If I were confronted with that crowding, after a long drive, I’d put on some XC skis and ski back and forth in the base area. (If there’s no natural snow anywhere). Get on snow, get exercise, and reduce risk of collision!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Gotcha! ogsmile
If I were confronted with that crowding, after a long drive, I’d put on some XC skis and ski back and forth in the base area. (If there’s no natural snow anywhere). Get on snow, get exercise, and reduce risk of collision!

I used to know a group of XC skiers who would do exactly that at 7Springs.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

View attachment 155279

View attachment 155276
View attachment 155277

Top of Beech
View attachment 155278
Ya a 5 minute lift line at Beech (or anyplace around Boone) on a holiday weekend is hilarious. The main summit lift at Beech loads about 75 feet down a little hill from the base complex.. opposite end of the food service.. That lift line gets ridiculous! 30 minutes or more is pretty common there on holiday weekends.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
As much as I love skiing I just can’t do that. I’m not worthy. @Wendy check out high country Nordic association Facebook group.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya a 5 minute lift line at Beech (or anyplace around Boone) on a holiday weekend is hilarious. The main summit lift at Beech loads about 75 feet down a little hill from the base complex.. opposite end of the food service.. That lift line gets ridiculous! 30 minutes or more is pretty common there on holiday weekends.
I could not stand around in ski boots for 30 minutes. Especially outside. Give me the XC skis.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Still sleeting like crazy here in bull city. Beech web cam looks nothing like yesterday though partially obscured by the clouds. 16/17 slopes, so with this shot I'd hope Oz should be opening soon. I don't know why that's a big deal, but it is.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, I understand the people who say they wouldn’t stand in a lift line for 30 minutes or more. But for me (back then) and many others… understand that you’ve driven 3 or 4 hours, found a place to stay, bought a lift ticket, rented gear and this the ONE weekend a year you go skiing, so after that you’re just NOT going to ski??? Add to that people are paying more $ to stand in line because of the increased weekend rates.

OTOH, you’ve really got to admire the dedication & love of southeast skiers to brave the lines, fog, ice, rain, slush (and today blizzard!) to slide down a frozen hill for a couple of minutes on a pair of sticks. It’s truly a formative experience & why I can ski in just about any condition today & still enjoy it.
8B74A802-2C81-4D06-8481-98A431060817.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
IF you get there early it's usually fine until about noon or one PM. But, that requires leaving at 5AM from my driveway I'd rather sleep and cut my ski day short than ski and be toast on the drive back home after skiing. Pay to stay there or count on a short day is where I'm at now. 10 years ago getting up at 5 was the go to plan and worked well for me then..

And, there are longer runs, 1 mile plus) that probably take 2-3 minutes to get down bombing but they are flat for at least half of the way. The good stuff is only in 200-500 vert sections.. then flat flat flat flat.. or vice versa..

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Still sleeting like crazy here in bull city. Beech web cam looks nothing like yesterday though partially obscured by the clouds. 16/17 slopes, so with this shot I'd hope Oz should be opening soon. I don't know why that's a big deal, but it is.
Oz is oddly fun for an easy blue.. Reminds me of an easier version of Stemboggan at Blue Knob..

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Conditions don't bother me, standing in lines does....maybe I'm weird....LOL

I never minded standing in a 45 minute line for the single chair at Mad River Glen, because I knew once I got to the top the slopes were going to be nearly deserted. Add a quad to the mix? No thanks. One of the reasons I have avoided skiing at Blue Mountain. It's about quality over quantity

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yep, I understand the people who say they wouldn’t stand in a lift line for 30 minutes or more. But for me (back then) and many others… understand that you’ve driven 3 or 4 hours, found a place to stay, bought a lift ticket, rented gear and this the ONE weekend a year you go skiing, so after that you’re just NOT going to ski??? Add to that people are paying more $ to stand in line because of the increased weekend rates.

OTOH, you’ve really got to admire the dedication & love of southeast skiers to brave the lines, fog, ice, rain, slush (and today blizzard!) to slide down a frozen hill for a couple of minutes on a pair of sticks. It’s truly a formative experience & why I can ski in just about any condition today & still enjoy it.
View attachment 155356
Between this holiday weekend and Presidents Day weekend that may be the only time some get to ski because the kids have off from school, so I do understand that they will wait in line. The longest I have ever waited is 45 minutes and that was on Presidents weekend in some small PA ski area. I have never returned to that ski area again because of the long lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online