• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2021-2022 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I love Lutsen. Just too bad it's so freaking far from me and so have only made it up there one time.

I too love it. I've skied 6 days there now. Still never had a powder day, but have had some amazing times. This high speed on eagle means I likely won't get over to Moose as much when I go ha!

applecart

Getting on the lift
Skier
How would you compare the black diamond runs to the runs out west, say at some place like Taos or Alta?

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
How would you compare the black diamond runs to the runs out west, say at some place like Taos or Alta?
In general, western blacks are much harder than Midwestern blacks. Is that what you are asking?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

Is this specific to Lutsen? I would say there's almost no comparison. In general the blacks at Lutsen are well groomed, steep, and pretty short. I've found most black runs out west are much longer, can be steeper, but most importantly are almost never groomed in the same way. The run 'Split Rock' at Lutsen for example, is pretty steep at the top, and provides some pretty good challenge for an average skier. An expert skier would find it to contain almost no challange however, unless it's icy that day. ;)

applecart

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks, yes. Since I've been back to skiing, I've only skied out west. I grew up skiing in the 70s at Buck Hill, so I really have no reference anymore. I figured the runs would be shorter, but I wasn't sure if they were groomed or not. I'd very much like to make a trip to Lutsen this winter.

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Is this specific to Lutsen? I would say there's almost no comparison. In general the blacks at Lutsen are well groomed, steep, and pretty short. I've found most black runs out west are much longer, can be steeper, but most importantly are almost never groomed in the same way. The run 'Split Rock' at Lutsen for example, is pretty steep at the top, and provides some pretty good challenge for an average skier. An expert skier would find it to contain almost no challange however, unless it's icy that day. ;)
It’ll be interesting to see how the new terrain on Moose will ski once (if?) they develop it. But I don’t believe it’ll add more runs on the west side in addition to the Plunge, Adrenalin, and Freefall.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’ll be interesting to see how the new terrain on Moose will ski once (if?) they develop it. But I don’t believe it’ll add more runs on the west side in addition to the Plunge, Adrenalin, and Freefall.

I've heard it's pretty low angle stuff over there, as they're main goal is to develop more green and blue terrain overall. They had talked about a lift up the back up Moose and a few more runs, but IMO they don't groom that stuff nearly enough and they are almost always in terrible shape. Those runs are some of the iciest I ever skied to be honest and really not that much fun. If they put a lift in they'll only get used more and be in worse shape yet.

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
lutsen's expansion plan may still be on their website ;
the next time I am on the computer, I will look for it, and If I can find it, I will post the link -

lutsen has worked hard to extend their season through April
( I have seen snowmaking in late March to maintain and extend their base ) ;

over the last twenty years, snowmaking conditions start later and later in the year -
where they once could count on making snow early in November , often now, they are lucky to have conditions for snowmaking to allow Ullr to be Open for Thanksgiving ;

I believe much of the Moose expansion is proposed on the south side above Superior National golf course, though I believe there is also expansion on the north side proposed ;

regarding grooming, I believe lutsen knows it's customer base and it's market -
the runs skier's - right on Moose are groomed ;
the runs skier's - left on Moose are rugged
( there are (more) groomers on Eagle ) ...

I will look for that expansion plan...

overview -

meat and potatoes, nuts and bolts -
( see the project alternatives tab for maps of the proposal(s) )

skiJ

lutsen's proposed expansion is also addressed at - length at the top of this tbread..

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
New thread for 2022-2023 is now live... see it here:

Status
Not open for further replies.