• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2021-2022 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Probably a little late, sounds like Big Snow(U.P.) has another potential owner. Let's see if this person works out and closes the deal.

The cannabis dude(s) or yet another potential owner?

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Can you ski across the bridge, Im confused??
It sounds like they are going to build a suspension bridge for walking across, not skiing, spanning the Ramshead run between roughly the summit area around the 6-Pack / Nose Dive run over to the summit of Disciples Ridge area. At least based on the renderings and video.
This appears to be meant more as a year-round, non-skiing attraction more atune to something like ziplines.

The 8-pack going in next summer is going to replace Disciples I & II triple chairs.

Says longer term, plans to replace/enhance Mountain Express, Victor, Meadows (which they just did in 2008), and Superbowl by 2030.

--
Call me old-school, but I like my old Riblets.

Honestly, I haven't skied the Mountain in 10+ years during the weekend since its such a nut-house of low quality skiers.
Midweek, all good, but Saturdays there are a royal C.F.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The yurts, cabins or hotel in Calumet or Houghton.

While I am dying to get up to Bohemia, the lodging seems to fill up quickly for the weekends. That's with people not even knowing what the conditions are going to be when they go either. I'm sure it fills up insanely fast when they are expecting a powder dump also.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Just remember, from Bohemia.
  • We do not plan to sell Saturday day tickets – Saturdays are for Season Pass Holders only

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
  • We do not plan to sell Saturday day tickets – Saturdays are for Season Pass Holders only
That's an odd policy but it look like season passes are $130 and day passes 85. Season passes are only offered late nov to dec 4 and maybe they sell out?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

They must be getting more and more busy and needed to do this for crowd control...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's an odd policy but it look like season passes are $130 and day passes 85. Season passes are only offered late nov to dec 4 and maybe they sell out?
Basically they are doing everything they can to sell season passes early on.

Every ski resort would rather sell a season pass early on, rather than wait for money later, and being dependent on good snow,

That equation is 10x stronger for Bohemia:
  • (Virtually) no locals, so not much worry that your season pass holders will be out every day of your season
  • Short season (Jan-early March most years) means not that many days to sell day tickets period.
  • (most) people only go if there’s good snow, because they don’t groom or make snow. Again, this is different from other resorts, even if those do get busier on good snow days
So basically, with day passes, they have so much to loose, they much rather sell season pass in late December.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Basically they are doing everything they can to sell season passes early on.

Every ski resort would rather sell a season pass early on, rather than wait for money later, and being dependent on good snow,

That equation is 10x stronger for Bohemia:
  • (Virtually) no locals, so not much worry that your season pass holders will be out every day of your season
  • Short season (Jan-early March most years) means not that many days to sell day tickets period.
  • (most) people only go if there’s good snow, because they don’t groom or make snow. Again, this is different from other resorts, even if those do get busier on good snow days
So basically, with day passes, they have so much to loose, they much rather sell season pass in late December.

They had a poor season last year when many resorts crushed it with respect to ticket sales. Sure food and drink revenue may have been down at many places but skier numbers were up.

For them they didn't open until later in Jan, they finally had a decent two week period a little later but in total it was a weak snowfall year.

They then surveyed their followers on whether they should buy some groomers and snow guns, knowing that they can't leave money on the table like that again.

Will see how this season goes, but you can bet they would love to have a lot more visits over season than last. I'll be heading up for first time and back to UP to the ironwood resorts so fingers crossed mother nature is with us.

It's been terribly warm and dry for months, that will need to change for good at some point.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
They had a poor season last year when many resorts crushed it with respect to ticket sales. Sure food and drink revenue may have been down at many places but skier numbers were up.

For them they didn't open until later in Jan, they finally had a decent two week period a little later but in total it was a weak snowfall year.

They then surveyed their followers on whether they should buy some groomers and snow guns, knowing that they can't leave money on the table like that again.

Will see how this season goes, but you can bet they would love to have a lot more visits over season than last. I'll be heading up for first time and back to UP to the ironwood resorts so fingers crossed mother nature is with us.

It's been terribly warm and dry for months, that will need to change for good at some point.

I know they love their reputation, but I do think they need to be able to guarantee having a few runs that will be open for people. Not many resorts don't have any snowmaking equipment at all.

Of course they'd have to get a groomer then as well.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Imma try to get a Bohemia trip this year, I get 2 days with my Crystal pass. Thinking of getting a SP for BoHo too, buut, I have an Indy too and between the Crystal days and the Indy I could easily fill out a UP trip.

Anyhoo, if anyone in the LP is interested in meeting up, the fam will be at Crystal most weekends, and I'm planning on getting some weekdays in as well.... I have some new to me SL skis to try, they're stashed at work and not officially in the quiver, pending breaking the news to my wife....

Greg

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Good interview with Ben Doornbos, GM at Nub's Nob:

Nothing really new per say, but just a good open conservation about all things Nubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.