• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2021-2022 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Judging by that video it's going to be RIGHT next to lift 2 up through those trees.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It'll be interesting to see how they set it up. They appear to be clearing out the trees that separate Ego Alley from the Wild trails. They're likely going to have to move the starting gate that is right at the top of the Wild Trail as well. I'm guessing they'll put that where the top of lift 2 used to be. This new lift will probably unload right next to lift 2 making it easy to use the new lift to access Ego Alley and Sunshine trails, as well as everything that was under the old lift 3.
I would guess Big Snow for UP lift.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

With Lutsen's owner buying them, and the investments they have made at Lutsen and Granite into new lifts in the last 10 years I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello MN skiers!

Please tell me all you can about MN and WI mountain biking, Duluth in particular.

I'm looking at you @Dwight, @focker, @skiJ, @MN_Drew et. al.

I'm a MN expat -- Giant's Ridge Ski Patrol brat -- looking hard at an mtb road trip next August.

Thanks, and I may start a thread over in the Mountain Biking forum.

:beercheer:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Hello MN skiers!

Please tell me all you can about MN and WI mountain biking, Duluth in particular.

I'm a MN expat -- Giant's Ridge Ski Patrol brat -- looking hard at an mtb road trip next August.

@Tom K. We ride the same home trails, and I can say I had ALOT of fun on the those northern midwest trails. Dont forget your bug spray, although MT this year has been gnarly.

We had a blast, let me hit that again, BLAST, last september/october riding the trails up in Keweena Peninsula and around cable / hayward Wisconsin and some in northern western mn(cant remeber the names). Oh yeah, almost forgot, Marquette!!

We didnt ride in Duluth, but we dipped in there and ate REALLY WELL!!

Ironically we are thinking about a trip in may/june next year, are the trails rideable by then?

only downside I have to report is the Michigan state parks jam about 3 times as many campground spots into an area compared to most other states.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello MN skiers!

I don't MTB.

Standing Rock in Plover Wi is good.
Little Swiss ski hill and downhill MTB.
Nordic MTN as decent MTB trails. Used to have races there but the event area for vendors was too small so it moved.

The U.P. would be the place to go. Marquette area has lots of trails. The whole Keweenaw peninsula has great trails. You could get lost at Copper Harbor, MI. :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe @Slim?

I know he's a Duluth-dwelling skier/cyclist.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know about duluth, but Hibbing/Chisholm is starting to develop some really nice trails by using the old mine dumps and pits to build trails on.

I haven't been up there yet for this, but it's on my bucket list

Here's a link: https://www.mndiscoverycenter.com/visit/redhead-mountain-bike-park/

Also the trails in Ironton (near Brainerd) are supposed to be amazing as well

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know Spirit Mountain offers lifts serviced downhill trails in Duluth as well. That could be the ticket for you.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
I know Spirit Mountain offers lifts serviced downhill trails in Duluth as well. That could be the ticket for you.
Yeah @Tom K. You could ride up the hill and race the people riding up on the chairs, maybe then you’d finally have some competition!

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hello MN skiers!

There is a great network of trails in Duluth - profiled in Outside a couple of years ago ;

lots of info. online -

August (?)
the only time that might be better would be Fall Color in late September
( bugs should not be bad in August, but the caution has merit ;
I have seen a late Summer surge when it has been Wet )

There's riding to be done up at Giant'sRidge which has gotten a lot of investment --

If you are coming back for Family, there is plenty of Good riding between Duluth and GR ;

for mountain biking, Michigan's Keewenaw peninsula ( into Lake Superior, east of Houghton ) may be the best of the midwest --

a couple other things to consider are the Fat Tire trail at Hayward / Cable, and

the trail network at Ashwabay at Bayfield, wisconsin...

Good luck ! skiJ

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had an amazing walleye sandwich there.

Argh! I grew up eating walleye a lot, as a family budget stretcher. So easy to catch when I was a kid.

Gotta say it doesn't call to me anymore.

But.....that did help pay for trips to Bridger Bowl in the Wagon Queen Family Truckster! And the amazing train trip to Whitefish at age 9, where I find myself again, on the "other end" of my life!

Thanks for all the mtb tips Ski Talkers!

chris_the_wrench

Skier
at the Cooper Trout?
I dont think the walleye was there, although I think I had a great Whitefish(ironic) sandwich there. I’ll have to reboot my memory banks…. I think it was at ‘bay days’ or something to that effect. First and only time Ive seen an amateur ‘strong man’ competition! Id really like to go back there during the summer and spend sometime sailing out of there.

sorry @Tom K. to totally derail your mtb trail quest!

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Midwest skier did an update yesterday with the 3 confirmed for 2023. I was thinking this year, oops. Pretty sure for 2023 you will see Indian Head with a new lift unless something goes sour this Winter. It is what I was told last March and posted.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Lutsen posted a photo on Instagram today of the lift line for the new Eagle 6-pack being logged out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online