• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Let me know when you will be at Killington. Will help you work on conquering the steeps

I definitely will. I loved skiing with you at heavenly. I'll never forget that bowl you took me across to get to those trees, that was amazing. Guy in Shorts got me down lower cascade at K. I've been down highline and did middle superstar last season. I'd love to have you work on this with me.

Last edited:

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I definitely will. I loved skiing with you at heavenly. I'll never forget that bowl you took me across to get to those trees, that was amazing. Guy in Shorts got me down lower cascade at K. I've been down highline and did middle superstar last season. I'd love to have you work on this with me.
Lower cascade has a double fall line and depending on snow conditions can be challenging. Will get you on some steeper terrain with good snow and work on some good drills that will give you more confidence

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Lower cascade has a double fall line and depending on snow conditions can be challenging. Will get you on some steeper terrain with good snow and work on some good drills that will give you more confidence

All I remember about that day on lower cascade was it was pretty foggy with rather large soft bumps. Mark stayed behind me the whole way coaching me down. At one point I stopped and said I don't know what to do now. Mark said some words of wisdom and I made it down the rest of the way. It was actually a lot of fun. Looking forward to skiing with you, sounds like a great plan. Need those drills and confidence boosters.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Message me when your come to Magic. I would be happy to show you guys around.

Will do for sure, and if there is a "micro gathering" at Magic on some weekend will try to plan around that. Sounds like fun.

Changing the subject a bit, if the NEG is at Killington, there sure seems like enough interest for a "micro gathering" at Saddleback. Saddleback is also on the Indy pass, so two days of "already paid for, or free" skiing to be had there. We will have to get TonyS invovled if that comes to be.

James

Out There
Instructor
Not yet. Geoff has given up saying exactly when it wil be done. The lift company fubared and its taken time to get them back to fix things. I really think they are trying to have it running by season open but we'll see. We've got the green and the red for now
Goodness. That’s really not good for Magic’s pr. Isn’t it going on over two years, or is it three?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Goodness. That’s really not good for Magic’s pr. Isn’t it going on over two years, or is it three?

It's been 2 years. We've seen progress in the last 2 years. A lot was done last year but then covid hit and then pfister screwed up and delays and they are finally slated to come back in October to finish. We aren't Killington who pull a new chairlift out of their backside in one off season. I'm hopeful but we'll see. Magic had a banner season last season with the tbar, warm up tent and walk up window so we try and focus on the positive.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Could you explain red and green lift? I looked at the trail map and saw two lifts running top to bottom, really close to each other, and one lift off to the left, looking up it went about 2/3 up. Is one of the two lifts near each other the new quad? Is the shorter lift a tbar?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Could you explain red and green lift? I looked at the trail map and saw two lifts running top to bottom, really close to each other, and one lift off to the left, looking up it went about 2/3 up. Is one of the two lifts near each other the new quad? Is the shorter lift a tbar?

Green lift brings you to mid mountain. Current summit lift is the red chair. New lift being installed is the black chair which is a non high speed quad which will also bring you to the summit. Both the red and black chairs let you off very close to each other. There's a rope tow in the terrain park and one being installed above the surface lift in the new expanded beginner area.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I watched the video on magics website. Now I get it, the chairs are painted those colors. Didn't make that connection. The video was great but the music was awful.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I watched the video on magics website. Now I get it, the chairs are painted those colors. Didn't make that connection. The video was great but the music was awful.

Yeah most mountains name their chairs/give them numbers. Our chairs just get colors. There's only 2 currently so colors work lol

James

Out There
Instructor
It's been 2 years. We've seen progress in the last 2 years. A lot was done last year but then covid hit and then pfister screwed up and delays and they are finally slated to come back in October to finish. We aren't Killington who pull a new chairlift out of their backside in one off season. I'm hopeful but we'll see. Magic had a banner season last season with the tbar, warm up tent and walk up window so we try and focus on the positive.
Yeah I get it, I just feel bad for Magic. I remember the year they had just gone out and purchased lots of snowmaking. Turns out the next season was a terribly warm year.

In other Magic news, I found out recently that four AF aviators once bailed out of their F-111’s after they collided on a training mission at night. They landed “near” Magic, maybe on? Don’t know. Feb, 1975.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am surprised they take that long to put up the new quad. It was the old Snow Bowl chair from Stratton. IIRC, the old black chair was a triple. It was in pretty bad shape when I was on it more than 10 years ago. The ticket lady apologized for the black chair only loading two due to mechanical issues. I told her no worries. Told her If we wanted to ride high speed chairs, we would have go to stratton. We are here to ski. One of the best powder day ever in SVT.
The lift line runs under both summit chairs are amazing. My favorite trail is Broomstick. Shaped like a narrow half pipe. Still have a tee shirt from the '80s with "Save the Magic" on it. Hope they stay alive.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It's unfortunate. Lots of progress was made but then last summer the vendor who was hired was flaky, over committed to other projects and then when they finally got to the part of stringing the cable they screwed up. It's been a bear getting them to come back. They are supposed to be on schedule in October to fix their screw ups. Fingers crossed.

The new owners have done lots to improve things since they took over 4 years ago. Geoff, Kerry and Bill are amazing. Many improvements in the last 3 years. My favorite is the tbar, an outdoor setup at the base of show-off. You ski there and can have a drink or a snack and then ski right down to the red chair to head back up to confine the fun.

Brownie, our groomer is fantastic. He knows when and when not to groom. After a dumping he'll only groom down upper/lower magic carpet from the summit to the base and he leaves the rest untouched.

Nothing like a powder day at Magic.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, even Killington is affected by covid delays with construction. K1 lodge still under construction and not to be completed until next summer. Although we saw guys walking in and out during our recent visit, they must be doing interior work as the outside looks unchanged since last season.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, even Killington is affected by covid delays with construction. K1 lodge still under construction and not to be completed until next summer.
They were all set to have the old lodge demolition party in late March 2020, then covid. Good thing they cancelled demolition.
So far the best thing has been access to K1 from the walk up from parking. And the vending kiosks that spit tickets out.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Well, even Killington is affected by covid delays with construction. K1 lodge still under construction and not to be completed until next summer. Although we saw guys walking in and out during our recent visit, they must be doing interior work as the outside looks unchanged since last season.

Definitely true.... although they put up the northridge quad up in one off season. Even butternut is installiing a couple quads, not sure if they'll be done by when the snow flies but they seem to be making progress. Magic just doesn't have the deep pockets and seems to have a bit of bad luck here and there. I'll be excited when the new K1 is done, not that we go in the lodge much but will be nice when the construction is over.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not skiing related but how is the foliage about peak around rt 2 in NH ME VT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January