• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_j

Notorious Truant
Skier
Any guesses to how the winds will be on Sunday? We're thinking of hitting Sunday River again this weekend. The current forecast for SR is for 8-12" out of the storm.
It looks like it might be ok. Weather underground prediction looks like wind drops from 20-25 Saturday to 12-ish Sunday for bethel.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like it might be ok. Weather underground prediction looks like wind drops from 20-25 Saturday to 12-ish Sunday for bethel.
Sunday does seem to be the better of the two days. I don't ski SR enough to know but how are they with wind holds and are they going to groom all that beautiful powder for Sunday? Any SR regulars care to guess?

EDIT: I ask this because a couple times I've been there in recent years when I didn't think it was that windy but many lifts were shut down anyway.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only thing certain is you can’t ski it from your couch. 12 degrees and a northwest wind is a different type of storm. There will be plenty of ungroomed.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only thing certain is you can’t ski it from your couch. 12 degrees and a northwest wind is a different type of storm. There will be plenty of ungroomed.

We're going I'm just trying to decide Saturday or Sunday. I think Sunday is likely the best day.

flying_j

Notorious Truant
Skier
SR does groom a lot but there will be plenty of ungroomed. Storm will go into early Sunday am so plenty of untracked to be found. Given the forecast I see I’m not concerned about wind holds on Sunday. Not at SR anyway

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Awesome resource. Thanks! Too bad he's predicting a very high risk of wind holds at SR on Sunday. May be time to expand the possible list for where to go.
This guy's forecasts are my go-to now. He's always on. Very reliable, and positively committed to skiing in the NorthEast.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My experience at SR is the have their share of wind hold. It depends on the direction of the wind. Sometimes it just Jordan that's bad. I am going there on Sunday, hoping for the best and freshes in the glades. I think Saturday will be sh*t show due to wind and the snow starting around noon up there.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This guy's forecasts are my go-to now. He's always on. Very reliable, and positively committed to skiing in the NorthEast.

I follow the Single Chair Weather Blog but that's focused on MRV. Adding Skiology to my list. Thanks again!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I was a kid I saw a squirrel short circuit a transformer on a utility pole. It didn’t end well for the squirrel. The transformer actually exploded with a bang and caught on fire.

Was it snowing?

James

Out There
Instructor
Well I guess Boston got a Butt load of snow. I’d say the snow was negative. Maybe we got an inch and a half. Then the wind came and took more away leaving pebbles all over the place. Plus the temps dropped. Lifts to top stopped roughly 2ish. But mass exodus from 12-1.
The wind sounded like an airplane.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Well I guess Boston got a Butt load of snow. I’d say the snow was negative. Maybe we got an inch and a half. Then the wind came and took more away leaving pebbles all over the place. Plus the temps dropped. Lifts to top stopped roughly 2ish. But mass exodus from 12-1.
The wind sounded like an airplane.
North shore of Boston. My front deck which is easy to measure has about 25" on it. Champaign powder.

Last edited:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Finally got a day off and 2+ feet of light fluffy snow parked between my car and I-93 :huh: The Mini is a very capable ski car but it is not a plow. I guess I can ski down the hill to the train tracks tomorrow.

Why can’t it ever snow like this on a work day?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Same up in Stowe. Started losing lifts at 2. Seems like today will be much better. I will be playing "dodge rock" on the Front Four again today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online