• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Isn't it Just going to be another flat zone? Remember the left turn the old lift made. That was cool.
Upper Pipe Dream is pretty flat, but the lower part, Jug, and Breakaway are decent. But I almost never ski them because of lack of lift and how slow it is when running.

I did not ski Killington when that old lift made the turn. I'm a fairly new convert to skiing and Killington.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
My impression of SR from two trips is that it would take half-day skiing to get from one hotel to the other at the different ends of the resorts. And I mean skiing down decent runs from lift to lift, not using the traverses. We stayed at the older hotel by White Heat. The same is not true for Killington even though it is spread out in a similar fashion from Sunrise to Ramshead peaks.
You can get to the base area below the Summit from almost anywhere on the mountain, and from a decent portion of it you can get directly to the hotel (if you can get to the bottom of the White Heat lift, you can cut hard right and skate a bit to get to the hotel). It is a slog from the top of Jordan, but significant portions even of the cross-cut trails are actually fun if you don't get caught in traffic. Roadrunner and the flat (and uphill) sections of Kansas are the exceptions, but neither hold a candle to Great Eastern at Killington, let alone trying to get from Bear to Snowdon (or, if memory serves, to just about anywhere the wrong side of Skye Peak).

Getting to the other hotel (Jordan Grand) at Sunday River is a lot more challenging; you have to ride Jordan, and getting to the hotel from anywhere east of Spruce requires multiple lift rides. It's not a long walk up from the bottom of Jordan, but if you're paying for slopeside lodging, you probably aren't doing so to have the privilege of hiking back to the hotel.

In either case, you are better off having some sort of plan when you start for the day, because if you want to ski trails on both ends of either resort, doing them in succession is horribly inefficient.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We stayed at the Jordan last Feb. and it was a bit of a PITA to get back there. Not too bad though but something to be aware of.

Killington can be a bit confusing. Sunday River less so, but perhaps more effort to get back up towards The Jordan

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
With about a thousand days logged at Kiliington, I can move about pretty efficiently. But my advice to those that don't know the mountain as well is don't try to sample all the areas in just a morning or afternoon. If you do, you will spend most of your time getting places.
Yes but you are moving, not skiing the great trails. From the top of Superstar head off the back and ski down a trail flatter than Okemo until you get to Wildfire and then you get to ski. There is too much of that at Killington. But I do like it there.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree about getting from one side of SR to the other, but if you don't want to sample all the terrain inbetween, it can be done fairly quickly. It is multiple lifts and some interconnects, but I always start at white heat (summit hotel side), hit the runs I like in the middle, and will make a few runs on Jordan and then head back to the mid mtn lodge on North peak for lunch. SR is just laid out more linear for the most part.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree about getting from one side of SR to the other, but if you don't want to sample all the terrain inbetween, it can be done fairly quickly. It is multiple lifts and some interconnects, but I always start at white heat (summit hotel side), hit the runs I like in the middle, and will make a few runs on Jordan and then head back to the mid mtn lodge on North peak for lunch. SR is just laid out more linear for the most part.
One day we started at the Summit Hotel and skied over to the Jordan, then skied that terrain for a bit. We decided to ride the shuttle back rather than risk getting caught halfway on the last lift of the day. We were much less experienced skiers back then.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree about SR, if you park at the White Cap Lodge it takes a while to get all the way over to the Jordan Hotel, but from the top of Jordan you can ski all the way back to White Cap in one long run that is kind of fun at the end of the day. SR skis like a series of smaller, interconnected ski areas, and that's what's fun about it. It was where my family would go on ski vacations growing up, and as a kid I loved just getting to explore and ski new terrain every day over a long weekend. When your home mountain is Wachusett it's hard to describe just how big SR felt. Once we started going out west, places like Snowmass or Park City (after the Canyons merger) just felt like bigger versions of SR.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree about SR, if you park at the White Cap Lodge it takes a while to get all the way over to the Jordan Hotel, but from the top of Jordan you can ski all the way back to White Cap in one long run that is kind of fun at the end of the day. SR skis like a series of smaller, interconnected ski areas, and that's what's fun about it. It was where my family would go on ski vacations growing up, and as a kid I loved just getting to explore and ski new terrain every day over a long weekend. When your home mountain is Wachusett it's hard to describe just how big SR felt. Once we started going out west, places like Snowmass or Park City (after the Canyons merger) just felt like bigger versions of SR.

It’s fun to time yourself getting back to White Cap from Jordan. It’s amazing how fast you can do it in a run if you don’t get caught up anywhere. I now start in the middle, usually Spruce and/or Barker for a handful of runs before the crowds and then decide where I’m going to head. I don’t necessarily try to ski everywhere in a day, because I’m there all the time so no need. Often I might focus on either East or West versus both and then end up back to maybe North Peak or WhiteCap in the afternoon for an empty lift to lap. Overall I’ll usually let conditions and crowds determine how I move around, it’s nice to get intel tid bits throughout the day from friends and chair lift chats on how different areas are skiing. It can be vastly different from peak to peak sometimes due to temperature, sun exposure, skier traffic, etc.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Its about the same as taking two or three lifts to the top of Sugarloaf. Dang skyline is just a zoo. Or sugsrbush base to heavens gate to castlerock line and then somebody is cold.

In a positive note, Gooseye Mountain via Wright Trail. No lines or crowds.

Attachments

• 20211009_122028.jpg
    20211009_122028.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 6

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At SR, from whitecap do a warm up or steep one or some woods. Then to get across you go barker to spruce. Take vortex to maybe flying monkey, on to oz lift, down an easy or hard way to jordan. The benefit of jordan is that its fast. The liftline is fun and there are some lesser known woods options which hold snow.

Going the other way provides less terrain options.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am surprised they take that long to put up the new quad. It was the old Snow Bowl chair from Stratton. IIRC, the old black chair was a triple. It was in pretty bad shape when I was on it more than 10 years ago. The ticket lady apologized for the black chair only loading two due to mechanical issues. I told her no worries. Told her If we wanted to ride high speed chairs, we would have go to stratton. We are here to ski. One of the best powder day ever in SVT.
The lift line runs under both summit chairs are amazing. My favorite trail is Broomstick. Shaped like a narrow half pipe. Still have a tee shirt from the '80s with "Save the Magic" on it. Hope they stay alive.
The old black made me nervous. I wouldn't ride on it with out my rope. I hope they can straighten this out, but no pressure from me.

Red Line is one of my favorite trails. It's very challenging yet not that hard. (what does that mean) Magician - I think, the one with the tomb stones, that's difficult. The mountain is fall line skiing with variable terrain. The skiing is among the best in the East at Magic. I like it there! We should meet there sometime.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Killington has $85 tickets but you need to buy them now. They were supposed to expire today.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Killington has $85 tickets but you need to buy them now. They were supposed to expire today.
I just went on the site and it says they stopped selling them already. You can still get an express card but the price on that also just increased.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just went on the site and it says they stopped selling them already. You can still get an express card but the price on that also just increased.
I didn't hear about it until my wife told me this morning. We got in and bought a day for 2 adults 2 kids for $320 so we can ski at a family event in March

Makes Ikon base sound pretty good. But we have an island trip for april so double season passes is extravagant. Probably next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor