• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_j

Notorious Truant
Skier
That was yesterday. From looking at videos of the pond skimming today, it was a mix of rain and snow. I'll be up for the Loaf later in the week.
I was up at saddleback to close the place down today. First chair! And didn’t even try…just the only one willing to brave early rain I guess. :huh:

Steady precipitation all day. Top half of the mountain was all snow, probably about an inch or so all told. Made for some really nice soft surface on top of the spring snow. Bottom went back and forth through all phases a few times, got really sticky about 2 or so.

Was a little skeptical with the activities planned but ended up being a great mellow day with no crowds at all. Got a few last laps on muleskinner, family secret was skiing really nicely along with tight line. Lower mountain had good bumps on peachy’s and royal coachman.

sad that they’re done but holding out hope for one last hurrah if Tuesday delivers. If not, it’ll be sugarloaf Weds for me.

Attachments

• 92BE5036-F2B3-43C4-A794-5729F9FB6A6A.jpeg
    92BE5036-F2B3-43C4-A794-5729F9FB6A6A.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 13

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Forecasts are calling for 5-12" of snow and non crystalized precipitation on Tuesday at Sugarloaf. Going to be fairly breezy for the rest of the week. Friday and Saturday look to show some improvement.

flying_j

Notorious Truant
Skier
Forecasts are calling for 5-12" of snow and non crystalized precipitation on Tuesday at Sugarloaf. Going to be fairly breezy for the rest of the week. Friday and Saturday look to show some improvement.
The snowfall predictions look very promising, but there looks to be a lot of wind potential along with it. I really want to get up there Wednesday but I’m nervous about wind holds. Maybe I can make next weekend work but it’s looking more like Wednesday is the magic day for me.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now I know why I didn't see you at the gondi!

Things are going fast here. Warmed up on the North Ridge, went over to Snowdon/Bunny Buster for a few laps, then hit Cascade. I thought about Bear Mountain, but the Walk Required signs at the top of Bear Claw put me off, so I headed down to the Skyeship gondi. Had to inch my way through narrow strips of brown snow on several trails like Cruise Control and Panic Button/Needle's Eye. Even Cascade and Downdraft had a pretty narrow exit although the tops of the trails had some good soft spring snow. Cruised down Skyelark/Bittersweet to Superstar lift. Superstar was pretty bumped up by the time I hit it on my next to last run, but the snow was great.
View attachment 166513

I took an almost identical picture ogsmile :
C13A1660-F0E7-4560-8566-9332BD2AD39A.JPG

I went to Killington with my 6-year-old son yesterday (did a day trip from Binghamton, 9h of driving total). We did 3 laps: one on the Snowdon six, one on the gondola, one on the Superstar quad. Then rode the gondola up, ate lunch at the Peak lodge, and rode the gondola down (he said he was too tired to ski down, which was perfectly fine with me).

We normally ski at Greek Peak, and the vertical drop of our usual lift is around 700', while here the vertical drops are, respectively, about 1,100', 1,200', and 1,650', so three laps at Killington are more like 7 laps at our home hill. The coverage was OK: Bunny Buster was very narrow at times; most other runs were good but slushy, which is expected at this time of year. Most importantly, though, my son didn't complain at all even though the conditions were challenging at times; quite the opposite, he absolutely loved Killington, especially riding the gondola (it was his first time at a "big" ski area), and he definitely wants to come back again.

James

Out There
Instructor
Bit of everything today. A refresh of a few inches sure helped. Better today than yesterday. Only mild glue in spots. All conditions from sunny to snowing.
CB4E7C87-CA55-4108-B682-7EDDB6561675.jpeg
Snow squalls were thick at times.

57B15C37-ED5F-4390-BA8D-BC90F79C0336.jpeg
Occasional sun.

32510D9D-DAD9-4CDC-88E0-B2EFD2D9C122.jpeg
Threatening clouds.
Very good closing day not enjoyed by enough people.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

The snowfall predictions look very promising, but there looks to be a lot of wind potential along with it. I really want to get up there Wednesday but I’m nervous about wind holds. Maybe I can make next weekend work but it’s looking more like Wednesday is the magic day for me.
Boooo. They're now moving the storm track west. Bad. Booooo.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK- Planning for next year. Looking for some input on Mount Snow and Okemo.
This year we had the Ikon pass and used the hell out of it in Utah and Colorado. But next year I won't be getting 30 days in- hopefully I can get about 10. Fingers crossed.
So our plan is to purchase the mid-tier Epic multi-day passes which gives us the Vermont resorts as well as Keystone in Colorado. The family has expressed interest in skiing in Vermont again. My wife has a college friend that works at Stratton, and we have stayed with her in the past and skied Stratton. She always has some discounted tickets for us to use. So if we stay with her, Mount Snow and Okemo are short drives and since we have never skied at those resorts we thought it would be fun to try them out.
I'll probably make a trip out to Colorado with some friends- So I'll get a few extra days on the Epic pass and probably purchase a 3 day pass at ABasin as well- cause who doesn't love ABasin?

So what would be the better time of the season for Mount Snow and Okemo? Was thinking sometime in the later January to early March timeframe- avoiding holidays of course and shooting for midweek. The plan would be 3 days at these two resorts and hopefully get another day at Stratton.
I think I remember reading some issues regarding closed lifts at Okemo this season- will this be an ongoing issue for them?

James

Out There
Instructor
OK- Planning for next year. Looking for some input on Mount Snow and Okemo.
This year we had the Ikon pass and used the hell out of it in Utah and Colorado. But next year I won't be getting 30 days in- hopefully I can get about 10. Fingers crossed.
So our plan is to purchase the mid-tier Epic multi-day passes which gives us the Vermont resorts as well as Keystone in Colorado. The family has expressed interest in skiing in Vermont again. My wife has a college friend that works at Stratton, and we have stayed with her in the past and skied Stratton. She always has some discounted tickets for us to use. So if we stay with her, Mount Snow and Okemo are short drives and since we have never skied at those resorts we thought it would be fun to try them out.
I'll probably make a trip out to Colorado with some friends- So I'll get a few extra days on the Epic pass and probably purchase a 3 day pass at ABasin as well- cause who doesn't love ABasin?

So what would be the better time of the season for Mount Snow and Okemo? Was thinking sometime in the later January to early March timeframe- avoiding holidays of course and shooting for midweek. The plan would be 3 days at these two resorts and hopefully get another day at Stratton.
I think I remember reading some issues regarding closed lifts at Okemo this season- will this be an ongoing issue for them?
Who knows what next year will bring. Staffing was an issue at all Vail areas. The lift thing generally meant longer lines when the crush came. Never seen cars backed up at Okemo on random weekends.
Wirst might have been the weekend Stratton and Mt Snow closed for ice on lifts, everyone went to Okemo and Killington.
It should be fine next year. Fridays are almost weekends these last two covid seasons.
As for snow, that’s another unknown. Last December was too warm to make snow for most of it. That had big repercussions, plus a shortage of snow makers.
A few years ago Okemo was 100% open before Thanksgiving. That doesn't last, it’s Vermont and it rains. That year November was better than December.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Who knows what next year will bring. Staffing was an issue at all Vail areas. The lift thing generally meant longer lines when the crush came. Never seen cars backed up at Okemo on random weekends.
Wirst might have been the weekend Stratton and Mt Snow closed for ice on lifts, everyone went to Okemo and Killington.
It should be fine next year. Fridays are almost weekends these last two covid seasons.
As for snow, that’s another unknown. Last December was too warm to make snow for most of it. That had big repercussions, plus a shortage of snow makers.
A few years ago Okemo was 100% open before Thanksgiving. That doesn't last, it’s Vermont and it rains. That year November was better than December.
I grew up skiing Vermont and fully understand the variability of weather. Always loved riding the Killington chair starting in rain, then freezing rain only to get off in total white out snowy conditions. And that would be the first weekend in December....
Good to know about Fridays- but that makes total sense.

James

Out There
Instructor
I should add to say that in terms of snow, Killington usually gets more than others. Often way more. They have a little micro climate there. Not sure I’d want to ski it when crowded though.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Chip, I think your plans dates are right on target. We had a very good March into early April this year and a late start in December. Next year will undoubtedly be different, but you have it pegged well.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sugarloaf skied great today, 4/22.The weather was breezy with sun and a small mix of various forms of precipitation. Bubblecuffer and Winters Way, natural snow trails, were open with good snow and some shrubbery. I'll be heading back up either Sunday or Monday.

PXL_20220422_173814071.jpg PXL_20220422_173817777.jpg PXL_20220422_182015606.jpg PXL_20220422_182019233.jpg PXL_20220422_183812493.jpg PXL_20220422_183816400.jpg

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Speaking of plans for next year, I'll forgo another trip out West and follow the tentative plan below.

I bought this:

EPIC NE Mid-Week Senior.jpg

To do this:

December 2022
1 Mt Snow
2 Sunapee

January 2023
Okemo Sun night through Tuesday night (free lodging):
3 Okemo
4 Okemo

5 Mt Snow
6 Sunapee