• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Killington is likely to open this week. We're a little behind but early November is good. I will try to be there.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's a question about Sugarbush.

Are there any woods trails from the south side of castlerock back to heavens gate? It looks steep in there but it seems too big not to have any lines.

I am familiar with the long trail traverse to Castlerock, but am not interested in skiing the cliffs.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Killington is likely to open this week. We're a little behind but earky November is good. I will try to be there.
I've been keeping a close eye on the webcams and snow report to see progress and read any announcement. I would need a day to pack and drive up from SE PA to be there for Opening Day, which means tomorrow if they announce Friday! I've done all the pre-packing I can do to be ready. I was there last weekend to finish some work on the condo to be ready for the season, but of course I couldn't get it all done.

James

Out There
Instructor
Why would one want to drive hours for the hellish opening day?

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why would one want to drive hours for the hellish opening day?
I always enjoy opening day. People are there that you haven't seen in a long time. Lots of good skiers. It's game on!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a question about Sugarbush.

Are there any woods trails from the south side of castlerock back to heavens gate? It looks steep in there but it seems too big not to have any lines.

I am familiar with the long trail traverse to Castlerock, but am not interested in skiing the cliffs.

There are several of small chutes past the official entrance to Paradise that are skiable for the adventurous. They all lead back to Heaven's Gate. Then there's "The Church"; probably a little too cliffy for your tastes.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know about that. I was thinking something a little less cliffy. I've gone a ways left of Paradise, was thinking more on the Castlerock run side. I'm probably having too much fun to poke around the edge.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Christmas morning comes to the Eastern skiers on Friday. I would not miss unwrapping this present for anything. One of my favorite days of the year.
I have to miss the opener for work but will be there for the weekend. We'll see who's in "stairs shape"; can't wait!

James

Out There
Instructor
So here’s the new situation at Okemo-

D87BD2F4-B4EC-4382-B474-9C5BB9EC00D2.jpeg
4335044A-E8ED-400C-AB54-92B755CD6E6F.png
Mt Road is now closed just passed Tree Dancer/Coleman Brook/Sidewinder.
So you go up Green Link, then down Exhibition, etc. Beginners now go back across on what was a narrow workroad, now widened. That road is nice, the transition back to Mt Road could get tricky.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
4335044A-E8ED-400C-AB54-92B755CD6E6F.png

Mt Road is now closed just passed Tree Dancer/Coleman Brook/Sidewinder.
So you go up Green Link, then down Exhibition, etc. Beginners now go back across on what was a narrow workroad, now widened. That road is nice, the transition back to Mt Road could get tricky.
And just for reference, here's how it was before:

1636134778441.png

James

Out There
Instructor
And just for reference, here's how it was before:

View attachment 147642

Would’ve been better to move the base of that lift down. But that requires 3 years in permit process. Still, starting last year, that’s two. Say hello to the next 30 years now. I think it will be better for beginners, but the devil is in the details here. Double fall line crossing trail, right turn exit too steep requires going across trail to turn right. We’ll see.
Not sure why we didn’t just leave it open to see what happens. The part they closed is the steepest of that area, often 85% ice in pm.
3D909C64-7087-488D-84B6-F565AC61AE68.jpeg
Move base down to that area. Not easy, but neither was the current one with blasting, bridge building, and trail cutting.

Last edited:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The part they closed is the steepest of that area, often 85% ice in pm.
It's been a while since I've skied it... but wasn't that part of mountain road kind of swoopy with some up and downs too? (I could also be thinking of another resort...

James

Out There
Instructor
It's been a while since I've skied it... but wasn't that part of mountain road kind of swoopy with some up and downs too? (I could also be thinking of another resort...
Not really. It’s a functioning asphalt road in summer. They’ve had car races up it before, though not sure since Vail.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not really. It’s a functioning asphalt road in summer. They’ve had car races up it before, though not sure since Vail.
The NEHA shows the 2021 event being "rescheduled to 2022" along with one of the other 2021 events.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Check out the Northridge webcam for the opening day action at Killington. Looks like a busy bluebird day.
We got one run in at 11 pm, then the lift stopped. We sat on it for about 40 minutes, then were off loaded at the top. No skiing for about 1.5 hr so we hiked up to the Peak Lodge for the free lunch. Lift restarted, so hiked back down to ski until the shadows started creeping across the trail. The crowd was considerably less after lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online