• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
40 min on the lift! Woah.
Note: 11am.
It wasn't bad, at least we were sitting down and sharing the lift with some interesting guys. The line at the quad lift was ridiculous after everyone skied down, which helped prompt our lunch decision.

I never night skied in NE, a few times at Blue in PA, although Sunday River has a limited area we never partook. I wonder where they would set up night skiing at Killington? Probably Snowdon with the bubble lift.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It wasn't bad, at least we were sitting down and sharing the lift with some interesting guys. The line at the quad lift was ridiculous after everyone skied down, which helped prompt our lunch decision.

I never night skied in NE, a few times at Blue in PA, although Sunday River has a limited area we never partook. I wonder where they would set up night skiing at Killington? Probably Snowdon with the bubble lift.

I thought lights on Ramshead would be cool. With the terrain parks over there they'd probably get some interest Friday/Saturday nights.

Brrrrr....I'm getting cold just thinking about night skiing at K :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
Not missing 1st day at Killington.
That trail gets bad enough in April with
Photos?

Will Killington make the Wcup??
Fis snow control approval is roughly 10 days before the event.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Will Killington make the Wcup??
Fis snow control approval is roughly 10 days before the event.
Here is a shot of Superstar from my tailgate taken today at noon. Your guess is as good as mine if they will make it. Gonna be close this year.

65790786791__28FD367D-6ED1-448F-B08E-1FCF2DA50ED8.jpg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The forecast shows cool enough nights this week and not too warm days. Next weekend looks iffy.

James

Out There
Instructor
Okemo.
Some chairs on the line for the new Evergreen Summit lift that replaced the fixed triple.
1AAB6AF7-039B-4BFE-90CA-FE1B7AA13E40.jpeg

E4E7C20E-F46A-41E7-AF68-9C72AA05F5D2.jpeg
18330D95-CB0D-4063-B498-186B7F3FCDED.jpeg
New base of six pack at Jackson Gore. I think they moved it over to the right on new footings. Looks like they widened the bridge coming from the lower lift.
They might have been splicing the cable on Sunday.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Not liking the lack of snow. When do they hope to open?
Been pretty damn warm. Recent night have been cold. There was actually hidden ice in a very few spots on that hike.
Nov 20 . Jackson Gore upper is not allowed to make snow until like Dec 5. Due to Bears I believe, or some other animal.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This just in from SkiologyMatt:

MON-TUE 11/22-23 STORM UPDATE #1: Possibly Over-Hyped
I'm going to start the discussion of the super duper holiday bomb storm that could wipe the the Northeast off of the planet just in time for Thanksgiving with a PSA for all of those rusty forecasters out there creating click-bait... The ECMWF commonly over-amps Northeast storms around 5-8 days out, this is a complex setup, and models are not often very skilled at this range in such circumstances. There will be a storm for sure that comes Monday, but models really have no agreement yet for what that storm is going to do.

I'm going to focus in this post on the main variable that I see with this storm, and that is a Greenland Block. This loop shows pressure at the 500 mb level by color, which is about 3 miles up in the atmosphere and it is where the primary steering currents are for storms, and also pressure at the surface by isobars (they don't always match).
That surface high pressure that starts off of Nova Scotia in this loop and then travels up to off the tip of Greenland and then couples to become a surface to 500 mb high pressure blob is the Greenland Block. This block will not allow storms in the Northeast to move east. Those storms will either stall, move north, move south, or even jog back west at times when this sort of thing happens. It's a road block. These blocks have been a part of some very famous multi-day Northeast snow storms as they can keep us in heavy snow for much longer. This is probably not going to be a storm for the record books though.

Where exactly this Greenland Block ends up is an open question, and 250 miles of shift can have a dramatic impact on what happens in the Northeast. This isn't the only thing that matters, but this block is one of the biggest reasons why models are struggling to find common ground and why the solutions for this storm are so haywire.

I'm waiting until this afternoon to do a comparison of what the three main medium-range models show since there is a continual evolution being seen still from run to run. I should be able to see the most recent runs by 2 p.m. or so.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This just in from SkiologyMatt:

MON-TUE 11/22-23 STORM UPDATE #1: Possibly Over-Hyped
I'm going to start the discussion of the super duper holiday bomb storm that could wipe the the Northeast off of the planet just in time for Thanksgiving with a PSA for all of those rusty forecasters out there creating click-bait... The ECMWF commonly over-amps Northeast storms around 5-8 days out, this is a complex setup, and models are not often very skilled at this range in such circumstances. There will be a storm for sure that comes Monday, but models really have no agreement yet for what that storm is going to do.

I'm going to focus in this post on the main variable that I see with this storm, and that is a Greenland Block. This loop shows pressure at the 500 mb level by color, which is about 3 miles up in the atmosphere and it is where the primary steering currents are for storms, and also pressure at the surface by isobars (they don't always match).
That surface high pressure that starts off of Nova Scotia in this loop and then travels up to off the tip of Greenland and then couples to become a surface to 500 mb high pressure blob is the Greenland Block. This block will not allow storms in the Northeast to move east. Those storms will either stall, move north, move south, or even jog back west at times when this sort of thing happens. It's a road block. These blocks have been a part of some very famous multi-day Northeast snow storms as they can keep us in heavy snow for much longer. This is probably not going to be a storm for the record books though.

Where exactly this Greenland Block ends up is an open question, and 250 miles of shift can have a dramatic impact on what happens in the Northeast. This isn't the only thing that matters, but this block is one of the biggest reasons why models are struggling to find common ground and why the solutions for this storm are so haywire.

I'm waiting until this afternoon to do a comparison of what the three main medium-range models show since there is a continual evolution being seen still from run to run. I should be able to see the most recent runs by 2 p.m. or so.
We don't want to hear that.

Sunday River opens tommorow

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And Sugarloaf opens with a bang - 2 lifts and 7 trails!

SargeSki

Booting up
Skier
Asking for advice, we roll the dice every year and come up to Vermont every Thanksgiving to enjoy the scenery and hopefully do an early season ski. Sooooo, here we are with really Killington or Sugarbush in close drive with limited runs open. Any thoughts on which is going to be best bang for the buck

My 8 yr old is the weakest skier amongst us, and a very good blue skier, so not really worried about challenging terrain.

Thoughts or opinions?

James

Out There
Instructor
Prob Sugarbush for fewer people.
You realize Killington has a women’s wcup race sat and sun this weekend?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Killington opened top to bottom today. I was at the rope at the drop on Great Northern, but wisely let the rampaging hordes go first. It was fun with a lot of rough terrain barely groomed, but the snow was sticky at the bottom as it had not fully dried out. It should improve day-by-day as they get Snowdon open top-to-bottom and the bubble chair running supposedly by the weekend. For those that would rather ski than watch the races. Today was day 5 for us and we will hit tomorrow and Friday before taking a break to watch the races.

SargeSki

Booting up
Skier
Killington opened top to bottom today. I was at the rope at the drop on Great Northern, but wisely let the rampaging hordes go first. It was fun with a lot of rough terrain barely groomed, but the snow was sticky at the bottom as it had not fully dried out. It should improve day-by-day as they get Snowdon open top-to-bottom and the bubble chair running supposedly by the weekend. For those that would rather ski than watch the races. Today was day 5 for us and we will hit tomorrow and Friday before taking a break to watch the races.
Thanks for the update. We’ve got a friend going to Killington Friday, so that’s good intel on conditions.
Okemo just announced today their opening day this Friday and we’re in Ludlow, so we will likely go there for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor