• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2021-2022 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Returning to the idea of a Gathering, I was thinking about fitting one in between clinics (5 weeks starting the first week of January), and leaving for the Aspen Gathering, so somewhere between Feb 7th-25, or after the Aspen Gathering (sometime in mid-March to early April.

The other self-serving idea was to utilize my Ikon pass, meaning Crystal or Bachelor for west of the Cascades (it could also be at Alpental though I may used up all my Ikon days at Snoqualmie by then), or Schweitzer or Red Mt for inland NW.

Assuming that most people tend to attend for at most 3 days at a regional gathering, I was also thinking that maybe a week of 3 days at Schweitzer and 3 days at Red, and people could choose which one they wanted to attend (or one or two days at each). So maybe Sunday/Monday/Tuesday at Schweitzer, for example, and Wednesday/Thursday/Friday at Red. My thought was to avoid crowds on Saturdays, but maybe that’s less of an issue once we get into mid-March.

The idea is that this could work for people in BC (and elsewhere in CA) as well as as inland NW, and be a nice getaway for those of us west of the Cascades.

Or are people really thinking of a one day Gathering at Alpy or Crystal?

Thoughts?

If there’s enough interest we can start a separate thread.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd be interested but
mid march is pretty late for reliable conditions at Red, and it's a long drive, From Vancouver Revy KH and LL area is faster to get to and has better conditions in March.
anything further south than Stevens would be at least an overnighter, if the border is open by then.
It's pretty close to the same driving time for Stevens as Apex or Silver Star from Vancouver.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've got an Ikon Pass for occasional trips to Crystal and Bachelor, and plan on getting a Skibowl pass combined with touring for skiing near Portland. I loved the terrain at Meadows once they opened up Heather/PR, but now that I am limited to weekends I don't want to deal with the crazy lines. If I can swing it, I would also love to spend a weekend up at Baker doing one day inbounds and one day of touring. I know the skiing isn't the greatest, but I also really want to check out the Hurricane Ridge ski area. I love funky little places like that, plus it would be neat to see the Olympics in the winter.

Crossing my fingers that the La Niña prediction comes true. Hopefully we get one, maybe even two good months of solid hiking in before the snow starts quickly accumulating. Last fall was perfect, I camped on the summit of South Sister in early November on a warm, clear day, and two weeks later I was skiing fresh snow at Crystal :)!

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
I re-upped my Ikon and for skiing Fridays and an occasional Monday at Crystal. I avoid it like the plague on weekends. Last time I skied there on a weekend was 2013 when I had my kids in ski school, and I imagine it's only gotten worse since then. I plan on getting good use out of my pass though. So far I have Jackson Hole booked for a week in Feb and Zermatt for a week in March (Covid-willing).

Reactions: RJS

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Forecast for Friday, September 17th

A strong storm system will arrive in the Northwest with heavy rain expected across Western Washington and Northwest Oregon, while the Northern Idaho Panhandle and perhaps Glacier NP in Montana getting in on the action Friday night. Colder air arriving will result in snow levels dropping to 6,000 ft. or so on Friday afternoon/Friday night.

There is still some uncertainty with the timing and placement of this system on Friday/Saturday, and it's possible that rain could extend southward into Northern California as well.

Courtesy of Alan Smith from OpenSummit. The rain will be good for helping to put out the fires, and there could be a decent amount of snow at higher elevations. Winter is coming.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
None of the ski areas have announced plans yet.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Are WA areas doing reservations again this year? I'm hoping not to alleviate pressure on Baker.
Well, I would certainly LOVE to alleviate the pressure on Baker. Last season was ridiculously crowded on weekdays. I left early on several days because of the crowds.

Alleviate = make (suffering, deficiency, or a problem) less severe.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
At Whistler the reservation system actually turned out great.

I was pretty skeptical at first but turned out there was no problem booking a reservation, even while being in line for the lift.

However that was likely because other than holiday weeks or weekends there really is not much mid week traffic at Whistler .
Those who primarily skied weekends or holiday weeks might have a different opinion.

Reservations also worked well for lunch, we'd book at entry (took about a minute) and never needed to look for a table. Pretty civilized.
Those reservations were really only in in place to facilitate covid contact tracing but I'd be quite happy if that same policy continues, saved time looking for a table.

No pay parking or reservations here so far. Parking except for a few civic lots adjacent the village has always been free, first come first serve.
Haven't heard of any changes proposed.

Should the border ever open 49 North looks like it should be a stop between Vancouver and Whitefish.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Latest Flachelor news. No reservation parking and masks in use.

Just curious, is that masks everywhere, or just indoors? Also, with no parking reservations are the lots going to fill up early like they do at Crystal?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Just curious, is that masks everywhere, or just indoors? Also, with no parking reservations are the lots going to fill up early like they do at Crystal?
Mask indoors only. I'm guessing yes on the early parking capacity. Will the Covid driven skiing surge continue this season? Probably.
Snow forecasted 6k fl this weekend. That's a month early. Time to get the ski car dialed.

Reactions: RJS

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I would certainly LOVE to alleviate the pressure on Baker. Last season was ridiculously crowded on weekdays. I left early on several days because of the crowds.

Alleviate = make (suffering, deficiency, or a problem) less severe.
I probably missed a coma, which flipped the whole meaning: "I'm hoping not, to alleviate pressure on Baker."

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Mask indoors only. I'm guessing yes on the early parking capacity. Will the Covid driven skiing surge continue this season? Probably.
Snow forecasted 6k fl this weekend. That's a month early. Time to get the ski car dialed.
I think that depends on how things go with Covid. Right now WA and OR have an outdoor mask mandate that will likely apply to ski resorts similar to last year where you need a mask in the lift line and on the chair. That said a lot can happen in the next few months, maybe things get better and restrictions easy or maybe they go the other way.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I think that depends on how things go with Covid. Right now WA and OR have an outdoor mask mandate that will likely apply to ski resorts similar to last year where you need a mask in the lift line and on the chair. That said a lot can happen in the next few months, maybe things get better and restrictions easy or maybe they go the other way.
With schools, holidays and everything else it could go either way.

Outdoor mask mandate depends on where you are located in Oregon.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Just did the the Spokane Interstate Fair yesterday. It was masks indoors and outdoors if that is any kind of indicator. Suspect it will be masks on the lifts and indoors again (just hope there will be an indoors).

JHust

Putting on skis
Skier
Are WA areas doing reservations again this year? I'm hoping not to alleviate pressure on Baker.
I just got an email from Silver Mt. They are requiring reservations for weekends and holidays and suggesting them for midweek. We'll see if Washington resorts follow suit

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Crystal's first dusting of snow for the season. After the storm is over I will be curious to hear how much snow higher elevations got, I wouldn't be surprised if the upper reaches of Rainier and Baker got many feet of snow. If we get a repeat of last season, we have two months until Crystal opens for the first time.

Xtal Snow 9 18 21.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online