• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2021-2022 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Tuesday at Timberline: Rain. Soaked through in a few hours. Skiing on a giant Slurpie drink. Surprisingly fun to ski on saturated frozen granular. The groomers did a great job. But TOO WET.

0118221126a.jpg

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
You can't have your cake and eat it too. They can't decide they want the money from Ikon, but also decide they don't have the capacity to actually provide the services promised when people decide to *gasp* actually use those services. I say this as a Summit passholder who ostensibly stands to benefit from this change.

The fundamental problem is that these mega passes are dramatically overselling their capacity and then acting shocked when people actually show up to use that capacity. There are bandaid fixes that can be made like reservations, but frankly the resorts need to sell fewer, and/or more limited, passes until such a time that they can expand enough to actually accommodate the usage they're promising. And that assumes they even can expand capacity enough. Honestly, season passes are probably much too cheap right now. Higher pass prices are not fun, but at the current prices, they're selling far too much access to far more people than they can handle and that needs to change.
Agree with you 1000%. At this rate I may get up to Crystal a handful of times for the season, and will avoid weekends like the plague. Which sucks if I want to take my school age daughter with me. Frankly, Ikon (or Epic) is better for me and my daughter for out of WA trips; Alterra should just limit days at Crystal on Ikon and give up the delusion of “unlimited” skiing there.

Just hope that White Pass stays less discovered.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Big news from the interim GM at Stevens

• Operations: I’m assessing our operations and processes with the Mountain Ops team, and we have already made a few subtle changes. I also want to convey our focus on opening the backside of the mountain. We’re reworking current plans to determine a path towards this, and hope to do so within two weeks. This isn’t guaranteed, but we want to be transparent that we are working against this projected timeline. We are also working hard to get Kehr’s Chair open this Saturday. It will start as weekends only and we will add days as staffing allows. Showcase Run was track packed last night and we will start working on Gemini as soon as Showcase is buffed out.

This is the first really good news I have read about Stevens this year.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
It was WET on the hill today. Not soak through the gloves wet but a steady mist. Visibility was maybe 20 ft. Skiing its an outdoor sport.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Right now Sun Peaks does not offer its usual easy carving ego snow; instead it is firm and fast. It was half day 6 for me and I skied my first top to bottom non stop of the season without even thinking about it: Spillway to The Other Way to Homesteader to Home Instead, back to Homesteader, around 2700 vertical feet and 3+ miles.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens Thursday

We just wanted to go skiing, you know. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was just kind of sprinkling rain when we got there. There was no ice anywhere except in the parking lot. Skyline was foggy at the top and the ride up was windy, so one and done for Sky. Hogs was groomers only so we skied a couple there checking it out. The visibility was better and there was less wind. Tye Mill was the chair to be on for the second day in a row. The little bump run skied well again and the groomers were in pretty good shape. The wind was blowing hard but it was at your back riding up the lift. We took a short snack break about 12 o'clock in a fairly empty lodge. When we came back out the rain had increased so it was about three more runs and then head home. Thank goodness for Gore-Tex. The coat and pants did fine but the gloves soaked through.
It was worth going, but the day rated about a D+ considering how few runs were open and skiable.

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Baker is finally starting to soften up. They must have had a temp inversion because it was soft up top, firm down below. North Face was money by mid morning. Honkers had a good line by early afternoon -- thanks to me lapping 4. Lower Canucks was a bit too firm. And Lower North Face was fun because they groomed it -- first time I've seen that.

IMG_6230.jpeg IMG_6229.jpeg

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Baker is finally starting to soften up. They must have had a temp inversion because it was soft up top, firm down below. North Face was money by mid morning. Honkers had a good line by early afternoon -- thanks to me lapping 4. Lower Canucks was a bit too firm. And Lower North Face was fun because they groomed it -- first time I've seen that.

View attachment 156147 View attachment 156148
Your Cat went skiing with you?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
A really crappy day of skiing has got to be better than ANY day of COVID.

Well that depends... My COVID worst day was like a bad cold. My crappiest ski day ended with 6 weeks of traction in a hospital bed and 3 months of physical therapy.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
If you had sharp edges and the right skills or enough beverage of your choice today was terrific for west coast ice carving. My joints are going to feel it.
20220121_131831.jpg

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
meanwhile north of the border at Whistler

first day of the year for me, latest I've ever started a season which isn't a big deal, but it was for me. I wasn't sure there would be a first.
Ripped my knee out badly on my last day in 2021 then a couple of cancer surgeries so bed ridden for most of fall.

But I'm back and it feels pretty good at the moment (couldn't have done it without gravity)

My skiing sucked but a great day for me none the less.
Non stop Peak to Valley by April is the next goal.

Very nice snow off Harmony and Symphony apparently above all the rain events, not up to Peak yet.
A Sandwich day, rising cloud from valley, sunny inversion above. Walk on in am at Creekside.

Reservations for lunch, masks and vaccinations are required.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier

noncrazycanuck​

Good to hear your back out on the Snow. Enjoy your season.

Status
Not open for further replies.