• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2021-2022 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Sun Peaks is set to open in less than 2 weeks. From one of their webcams:

View attachment 147830

The run that is 3rd from the lookers right is OSV where they have a lot of pre and early season race training for local and out of town ski clubs, on mostly man made snow. I think it has only recently gotten cold enough to make snow (without subsequently loosing it to melting) so I don't know if the race training has started yet.

The thin cut thru the forest that looks like a lift line is exactly that. You can just make out the Elevation Chair where it crosses Caribou on its way to the top of OSV.
hmmm perhaps we should do Thanksgiving in Sun Peaks this year, looks like they have some good snow :)

@DanoT how much of the mountain do you think they will have open by Nov 25th?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
hmmm perhaps we should do Thanksgiving in Sun Peaks this year, looks like they have some good snow :)

@DanoT how much of the mountain do you think they will have open by Nov 25th?
Normally I am at Sun Peaks by this time of year and could give a decent update report, but this season I won't be at SP until early Jan.

Last season all chairs were running on opening day (usually Nov 20 or 21) but this is extremely rare thing to have happen as most years it's really not worth an early season visit.

Keep in mind though that with SPs summer grooming program, a bit of snow making, and very good snow preservation, in early season SP can have a base that is 30-50cm less than the competition and have better coverage. In fact most of the rest of the B.C. Interior ski resorts don't open until the end of the 1st week of Dec.

Also lots of hoops to jump thru for entering Canada with expensive Covid testing making an early season visit questionable, imo.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Normally I am at Sun Peaks by this time of year and could give a decent update report, but this season I won't be at SP until early Jan.

Last season all chairs were running on opening day (usually Nov 20 or 21) but this is extremely rare thing to have happen as most years it's really not worth an early season visit.

Keep in mind though that with SPs summer grooming program, a bit of snow making, and very good snow preservation, in early season SP can have a base that is 30-50cm less than the competition and have better coverage. In fact most of the rest of the B.C. Interior ski resorts don't open until the end of the 1st week of Dec.

Also lots of hoops to jump thru for entering Canada with expensive Covid testing making an early season visit questionable, imo.
In WA we get those Covid tests for free, just need to plan in advance and schedule one for when you need it. If you do not plan then you have to go to a private provider and may have to pay $$. That said we are likely going to hold off on Sun Peaks this Thanksgiving as my kids already have other plans

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Did SS 1st day dry land at 49° North yesterday. No snow of any quantity yet.
The new high speed quad is about 2 weeks away from done, pretty impressive for a COVID year project. One more cable splice, hang the chairs, load test , get it certified, and turn it on.
A new 7,000' equipment maintenance shop just getting finished. 1 new groomer added.
5 new runs cut that will alter the way the mountain skis, these will be a lot of fun. A bunch of gladding and brush cutting was done all over the hill during the summer. These would have been a massive challenge in a extreme fire hazard year. Some much needed terrain sculpting was done in the learning area.
The snowmaking system improvements are ready to blow snow, told they can control the system with a cell phone, what will they think of next. Should have some colder temperatures to make this happen starting the middle of the week.
A weekend adult ticket is still $72.
If they aren't careful somebody is going to notice this place.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking at the webcams for a few local resorts, it seems we're mostly back down to the dirt or close to it. There are still some pockets of snow hanging on in more sheltered locations and certainly at higher elevations, but all the rain really did a number. More snow coming in this week, but probably not enough to get anything open. Pretty skeptical Crystal's going to hit their Nov 19th target, but they might be able to get a lower mountain run or two open if they start blowing snow once the temps drop tonight and get a bit of help from mother nature.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly this is the case. Starting from zero. Last year we already had Crystal open with good coverage around this time, at least you the 19th according to photos from my phone.

Well, looking forward to snowfall.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been crossing my fingers that I can get a day in at Crystal before flying home to see family next weekend for the Thanksgiving holidays, but it looking like that will not be the case. It appears that this week will be a good snowmaking window if they want to open a couple of manmade trails just to keep their 11/19 target opening date, but I have no idea how closely they try to stick to these dates. I can't imagine that Crystal skiers would be that disappointed if they wait a week or two for a better opening. I'm a little bummed seeing the pictures from places up in Canada like Kicking Horse and Sunshine getting snow when we have been getting rain, but that's life here in the PNW.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I decided to check out how much snow Alyeska has, and holy cow...the summit has already gotten 177" of snow this season! I wonder if that's a record for this early in the season? They still don't open until 12/10, so I would imagine that when they open they will have a lot of fun terrain to ski on. I hiked up to Crow Pass this summer and stopped in Girdwood a couple of times, and the low elevation glaciers nearby testify to the area's high snowfall.

From their webcam:

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 1.18.04 PM.png

backdoor

Getting on the lift
Skier
The highs are slated to stay below 40 after the 22nd over here in White Pass. If they can stay low and we get a couple dumps of snow around turkey day we may see an opener around the 6th/7th. I was hoping for snow before Turkey this year but doesn't look like that's on the menu anymore.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
The highs are slated to stay below 40 after the 22nd over here in White Pass. If they can stay low and we get a couple dumps of snow around turkey day we may see an opener around the 6th/7th. I was hoping for snow before Turkey this year but doesn't look like that's on the menu anymore.
The only thing you'll be carving on Thanksgiving is Turkey. :duck:

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Crystal seems to have an update on their conditions page as of yesterday:

"Our target opening date was November 19 however this is not official. We will open as soon as we can with more natural snow in addition to our snowmaking at colder temps. Stay tuned for our official opening date announcement."

Reactions: RJS

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Sun Peaks has announced opening day, Nov. 20, Sunburst (bubble) and Elevation will be the only chairs running and Cahilty to 5-Mile the only runs open (both beginner runs). So, not even worth the 45 min. drive from Kamloops, and due to the flooding SP is not accessible from the Lower Mainland. So opening day should pretty much be a dud, but typically more runs and likely the upper mountain will open as we get into next week.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cypress opened today but not much.
Whistler had snow from the recent deluges, a lot in the alpine to a little bit in the valley, but they are not opening until the 25th.
Plan is Blackcomb's turn this year April 28 until the end of the May long weekend.
Maybe we'll get lucky this time and they'll stay open past March.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Meanwhile, Crystal updated their site today confirming what pretty much everyone already suspected: they aren't opening tomorrow. No new date given.

On the bright side though, there's a decent storm rolling through tonight. With any luck I might at least be able to get the touring skis out to make some pre-thanksgiving turns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online