• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2021-2022 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

backdoor

Getting on the lift
Skier
Meanwhile, Crystal updated their site today confirming what pretty much everyone already suspected: they aren't opening tomorrow. No new date given.

On the bright side though, there's a decent storm rolling through tonight. With any luck I might at least be able to get the touring skis out to make some pre-thanksgiving turns...
Looks like its supposed to be sub freezing highs up on Crystal next Tues/Wed/Thurs. If it stays cold and they can turn the guns on they could be possibly looking at a Black Friday open.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Looks like its supposed to be sub freezing highs up on Crystal next Tues/Wed/Thurs. If it stays cold and they can turn the guns on they could be possibly looking at a Black Friday open.
Black Friday opening on the WROD,sounds like fun. ogwink
Oh look our Snowstake is covered.
Screenshot_20211119-095027_Samsung Internet.jpg

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
If it stays cold and they can turn the guns on they could be possibly looking at a Black Friday open.
Current forecast has another warm atmospheric river event coming in Black Friday and the Saturday after, with well over an inch of rain and temps pushing 40. It's a long ways out, but if that forecast holds they won't be open that weekend. I think we're looking at December at this point.

Reactions: RJS

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Current forecast has another warm atmospheric river event coming in Black Friday and the Saturday after, with well over an inch of rain and temps pushing 40. It's a long ways out, but if that forecast holds they won't be open that weekend. I think we're looking at December at this point.

Agreed about December being more likely. It's still a ways out, but Opensnow is only predicting 9" of snow in the next 10 days at Crystal, with all but 1" coming before the rain on Black Friday and the day after. Hopefully we see a pattern change by the end of the month so we can get things up and running.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
49° North (My Speed Bump) has a new toy. Meet the Northern Spirit High Speed Quad, the longest HS quad in the NW. 1 1/4 miles, 1,900' vertical in about 7 minutes. This should be pretty close to qualifying as a magic carpet ride. Thank you Doppelmyer crew.
Now we just need a little more snow.:ogcool:
260149348_2151262041683710_2929410885162691068_n.jpg

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
49° North (My Speed Bump) has a new toy. Meet the Northern Spirit High Speed Quad, the longest HS quad in the NW. 1 1/4 miles, 1,900' vertical in about 7 minutes. This should be pretty close to qualifying as a magic carpet ride. Thank you Doppelmyer crew.
Now we just need a little more snow.:ogcool:
View attachment 149176
I believe the NW chair at Bachelor is longer. 8377 ft. I should make sure and ride Northern Spirit chair this season.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This was a pretty impressive project. Totally new chair. They did not share any existing tower bases and built from scratch in one summer. The rumor is this things' cost was $7,000,000. Supposedly we were the largest ski area in NA without a HS lift. Fixed it!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
But he is talking about "HIGH SPEED" quads. Not "slow down and stop" quads....
Sounds like typical mt flachelor guest experience.
[Rant] Remember when ski resorts had 2 for 1, ladies day(my favorite), NASTAR races, $5 beers, ect. [/RANT]

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
opening day for Whistler Thursday
Quantity is not looking too bad.
plenty of snow above mid so will be a number of mid hill runs open with more snow expected Thursday through next week.
as for quality - I rarely ski opening weekend other than to remind myself why I don't
Highway 99 is open from Whistler to US border.
Hwy 1 is open from Vancouver as far as Abbotsford no connection beyond.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied opening weekend at Whistler once and it was awesome.

That said, I don't have an Epic pass this year. I could still get an Edge Card until Dec 5th. Or head to Revelstoke since I have an Ikon, though I probably won't do it this weekend, maybe late December. I have a condo reservation for Bend
Dec 22-26 and if it doesn't look like coverage is as good as Revy I might change plans.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I skied opening day at Blackcomb a few decades ago. Whistler was closed but Blackcomb had 5 upper mountain chairs open and 5,000 skiers, all locals, no out of town or even Vancouver skiers to speak of. Snowed over night and next day about 1,000 skiers on the mountain.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
We need the temps to get low or precip doesn't help. When I checked the forecast, it looked like we have about 6 inches of rain on the way in Western WA, so we're probably heading right back down to the dirt if that forecast holds. My optimism for a quick start to the season has now been washed away by all these atmospheric rivers.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
We need the temps to get low or precip doesn't help. When I checked the forecast, it looked like we have about 6 inches of rain on the way in Western WA, so we're probably heading right back down to the dirt if that forecast holds. My optimism for a quick start to the season has now been washed away by all these atmospheric rivers.
I think it is time for a positive affirmation
Your good enough,
your smart enough
and dog gone it if you focus hard enough you can control the weather ;)

Joking aside it was not supposed to snow much tonight and it is dumping the Pass. We even had a very limited dusting of snow in Sammamish ... so maybe just this once the weather forecast is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.