• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think you're right, but I remember two short black trails Chute and Midway that dump into Main Street below the bump section on skier's left. The upper one is steeper than the lower like in the photo.

ihocky2

Putting on skis
Skier
A friend reports that Blue was great on Tuesday for his end of season last trip:

Ah! Yes, and it was a good idea. Almost every slope was open, and after about an hour an initial icy corduroy turned into lots of soft snow. That is very nice on a snowboard.

He was testing out new boots, but he skis as well when he visits us at Killington.
View attachment 164187 View attachment 164188
I plan on heading to Blue after work tonight and hopefully at least one more day this weekend. I don't expect the trails to looks this good after the rain yesterday, but these pictures at least inspire some hope.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you're right, but I remember two short black trails Chute and Midway that dump into Main Street below the bump section on skier's left. The upper one is steeper than the lower like in the photo.
Yep those are the two trails, They feed off of Widowmaker into Main Street. Fun runs.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yup, that sounds correct. I have skied both, although I had a uncomfortable run on chute one time night skiing many years ago.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d normally call April fools on this lol but the rumor about the new lift at Blue has been floating around for a few months. The two doubles have needed to be replaced but I have always liked looping Switchback, Main Street and Widowmaker when the rest of the mountain gets crowded. Not sure how to feel about it but I’m glad to see them investing in the mountain.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are these the same two lifts that have been there forever?
They sure look it. Ive only been skiing there a few years. Fixed grip lifts side by side. Slow as can be but you have to pay attention when loading or they will sneak up on you. They can get backed up a times but it’s usually because only one is spinning.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I’d normally call April fools on this lol but the rumor about the new lift at Blue has been floating around for a few months. The two doubles have needed to be replaced but I have always liked looping Switchback, Main Street and Widowmaker when the rest of the mountain gets crowded. Not sure how to feel about it but I’m glad to see them investing in the mountain.
I have run those trails as well and Widowmaker is seldom crowded. It is a good option when the other side gets backed up.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Yeah, like since when sidewinder was the farthest trail to the east....
I'm thinking you are referring to Switchback, the trail east of Main St. Personally, Switchback is fun to ski as it is a little GS course in the lower half. It returns to the double chairs. Sidewinder is accessed from the Valley lifts built much later.
On as side note, my father spent WW2 in Burma, I've wonder if Blue's founder did the same, as, Burma Rd and Burma lift would be named after the China - Burma - India (CBI) campaign. The Burma Road went from India to China and had to be reopened from Japanese control. A windy road down many mountains, just like the most difficult ski green run ever, it's namesake.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
From what I understand for Camelback there are plans to replace the Cleo and Marc Antony lifts up the middle of the mountain, however, the funding of that plan was not approved for this year. Sullivan six seems set and I heard Stevenson may become a six as well but lift up the middle with few trail realignments would be a super improvement to the mountain

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I remember when the Sullivan Chair was a double with a mid station
How many poles did you lose to that thing? , it ate them for lunch. I go back to the days of the old Riblet Triple (Cleopatra Chair )being the work horse of the mountain (with its tower array at the top)
050_50.JPG The old Riblet tower array with the towers perpendicular to the slope

No trails beyond Marc Antony and a T-Bar where Meadows triple is now and 1 in Sun Bowl as well. Long time ago.

IMG_2533.JPG Aerial view of Camelback from Morten Lund and Bob Laurie's book Skiers Paradise around 1968.
IMG_2534.JPG
The old Sullivan Double (Classic Hall with the wooden seats) from the Camelback, The Downs and Ups of a Banana Belt Ski Area, by Jill Wechsler.

No matter what you think of Camelback it has a pretty long and significant history

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How many poles did you lose to that thing? , it ate them for lunch. I go back to the days of the old Riblet Triple (Cleopatra Chair )being the work horse of the mountain (with its tower array at the top)
View attachment 165272 The old Riblet tower array with the towers perpendicular to the slope

No trails beyond Marc Antony and a T-Bar where Meadows triple is now and 1 in Sun Bowl as well. Long time ago.

View attachment 165273 Aerial view of Camelback from Morten Lund and Bob Laurie's book Skiers Paradise around 1968.
View attachment 165277
The old Sullivan Double (Classic Hall with the wooden seats) from the Camelback, The Downs and Ups of a Banana Belt Ski Area, by Jill Wechsler.

No matter what you think of Camelback it has a pretty long and significant history
Thats the Camelback I remember. IIRC, they wouldn't let singles go up the triple alone, on slow nights we would have to wait to load until others came to join. A buddy of mine and I jumped off the chair at a low point one night sending some kid up alone, we wondered if someone got in trouble for that ... I know we didn't, LOL.

The Stevenson chair was named for Bill Stevenson, @Andy Mink and I went to school with his son. That picture of the old Sullivan chair is before they put built the Chateau across from the pond.

Map: Hump still had the tree islands. Asp still had the turns and not connected to Hump yet. No Marc Anthony. Still the L/R turns at the botton of Margies. No Bailey Chair.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm thinking you are referring to Switchback, the trail east of Main St. Personally, Switchback is fun to ski as it is a little GS course in the lower half. It returns to the double chairs. Sidewinder is accessed from the Valley lifts built much later.
On as side note, my father spent WW2 in Burma, I've wonder if Blue's founder did the same, as, Burma Rd and Burma lift would be named after the China - Burma - India (CBI) campaign. The Burma Road went from India to China and had to be reopened from Japanese control. A windy road down many mountains, just like the most difficult ski green run ever, it's namesake.
Nope, I mean sidewinder. Before Challenge was built. Switchback is towards the west side

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thats the Camelback I remember. IIRC, they wouldn't let singles go up the triple alone, on slow nights we would have to wait to load until others came to join. A buddy of mine and I jumped off the chair at a low point one night sending some kid up alone, we wondered if someone got in trouble for that ... I know we didn't, LOL.

The Stevenson chair was named for Bill Stevenson, @Andy Mink and I went to school with his son. That picture of the old Sullivan chair is before they put built the Chateau across from the pond.

Map: Hump still had the tree islands. Asp still had the turns and not connected to Hump yet. No Marc Anthony. Still the L/R turns at the botton of Margies. No Bailey Chair.
And that long trail that crossed the entire area....that was always fun playing "dodge 'em" LOL

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Blue Mountains website announces the sale of individual double chairs from Burma and Main St. chairs, both lifts are being replaced with a high speed lift for next season. Cost is $1200 each and are being sold on the website. Both @Noodler and Fairtomiddlen wasted good part of their youth riding both.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Blue Mountains website announces the sale of individual double chairs from Burma and Main St. chairs, both lifts are being replaced with a high speed lift for next season. Cost is $1200 each and are being sold on the website. Both @Noodler and Fairtomiddlen wasted good part of their youth riding both.
I think I skied Blue more after I moved to Philly. Camelback was too close deal with traveling further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online