• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
Didn’t ski yesterday but I skied Monday/Tuesday and one day last week. The terrain is still limited and with the holiday it definitely was busier this week (expected). Last week I really had no lined before I left around 12:30.

What I will say is if you get there by 9 it doesn’t even get crowded Over on challenge until about 10:30 / 11 AM. Ive just tried to get there right at 9 and ski a bunch of runs before it gets crowded later.

I would guess no since it’s only been hitting later in the morning. I’m on epic this year and been skiing 9-12 pretty much to avoid the crowds this week.

Unfortunately limited terrain and holiday week never make for fun with the crowds.
Good data point and advice! We arrived close to 10 yesterday, and probably hit the slope around 10:30... Will try beating the crowd next time!

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Good data point and advice! We arrived close to 10 yesterday, and probably hit the slope around 10:30... Will try beating the crowd next time!

My first year on JF (usually do blue) but at least last week seemed much less crowded even around 11. My guess is the bulk of it is the holiday week. But 9-10 over on the one lone black open I’v been able to just ski right off the lift all the way down and directly back on the lift.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh man... go early! Nothing better than being one of the first ones putting tracks down the fresh grooming!

(OK... I can think of several better things... but that one is pretty good. :D )

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Oh man... go early! Nothing better than being one of the first ones putting tracks down the fresh grooming!

(OK... I can think of several better things... but that one is pretty good. :D )

Fresh grooming out west…. I respect my home mountain but looking forward to Breck in Jan and heck even Stowe in Feb. It’s A big difference.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
My first year on JF (usually do blue) but at least last week seemed much less crowded even around 11. My guess is the bulk of it is the holiday week. But 9-10 over on the one lone black open I’v been able to just ski right off the lift all the way down and directly back on the lift.
Haven't made it up to Blue yet this year.

You've got a 15 minute jump on me up there in Harleysville.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When we skied JF, one of it's advantages were the short reasonable lift lines (away from the park trail) compared to Blue. But definitely skied both much more than the other Pocono resorts. So seems times have changed...

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Skied Jack Frost for the first time ever yesterday. With Whitetail, Liberty and Roundtop closed, and the morning weather forecast promising to keep the snow line south and east of the drive route, seemed like a reasonable thing to do with my last day of holiday break.

The day started off with a bit more than 1" of heavy snow. Roads were wet, no issues driving.
IMG_20220103_073758.jpg

Traffic was light, no issues. Snow stopped about 5 miles north of the Baltimore Beltway. Easy cruise all the way up.

Crowd was lighter than the # of cars suggested when I pulled in. Perhaps most were solos like me. I waited at most 4 chairs all day.
IMG_20220103_113836.jpg
IMG_20220103_114623.jpg

About half the mountain was open, 1 black, 3 blues, a handful of greens; good coverage on them. Nobody was checking passes. There was enough wind to make the 20F temperature feel even chiller. Much appreciated them blowing snow only on closed runs.
IMG_20220103_115204.jpg
IMG_20220103_115201.jpg

All told, a bit more than 3 hrs driving up, a bit less than 3.5 hrs back, 5 hrs on the slopes. Violated my solo day trip "rule" that ski time shall be more than round trip driving time.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Got an email from Blue Man., the major announcement is the new trail always referred to as Coming Soon, has been renamed to Free Fall...and... is now open as a single black.

It has been very rough going getting good skiing in the Pocono's. Blue has only a few runs open and looking at webcams is way too crowded. Finally, the weather seems to be cooling, my experience is Blue needs 2 weeks of very cold temps to open enough trails to make skiing interesting and, perhaps more important, safe.

Just booked a long weekend near Elk in February, can't wait to ski with my grandkids for the first time.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
They have been non-stop blowing at Elk all week long, which is great. They have mainly just repaired/replenished what got severely beat up before the New Year weekend, but are now pushing to open up Slalom & Delaware as well. The upcoming 1-3" overnight will give them a little boost. What's the deal with all the southern tracking storms this year? (Seinfeld voice.)

Here's a cool shot I got from the deck last night around 5:15 pm:

29DA21A0-4017-4F38-AE19-A022C128A1A4.JPG

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They have been non-stop blowing at Elk all week long, which is great. They have mainly just repaired/replenished what got severely beat up before the New Year weekend, but are now pushing to open up Slalom & Delaware as well. The upcoming 1-3" overnight will give them a little boost. What's the deal with all the southern tracking storms this year? (Seinfeld voice.)

Here's a cool shot I got from the deck last night around 5:15 pm:

View attachment 154160
If I’m off school tomorrow….look for the Black Tundra in our usual spot in the upper lot….

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I caught a great opening bell "hour of power" at Elk with @BC. before a 10 AM work meeting - he and I have talked in the lots a few times over the past year but this morning was the first day we got some laps in together:
IMG_2786.jpg

Great conditions, 3"+ of light, fluffy powder on top of the base:

IMG_2787.jpg

I wish I didn't have to leave, but I'm sure @BC. is still having a blast!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a 10 AM work meeting - still might squeeze an hour in, will look for your truck!
I caught a great opening bell "hour of power" at Elk with @BC. before a 10 AM work meeting - he and I have talked in the lots a few times over the past year but this morning was the first day we got some laps in together:
View attachment 154201

Great conditions, 3"+ of light, fluffy powder on top of the base:

View attachment 154202

I wish I didn't have to leave, but I'm sure @BC. is still having a blast!
It was great to finally team up for your power hour….always love Elk snow days with friends/new friends!

Stayed till about 1…..got the rope drop on Delaware….lol….thinking it would have the 3+fluff on top for first tracks….we were wrong/lol…I think they groomed it with a Zamboni. It was coral reef….lol. (Rope drops in PA are not the same as other places…haha)

Have a great weekend!

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
It was great to finally team up for your power hour….always love Elk snow days with friends/new friends!

Stayed till about 1…..got the rope drop on Delaware….lol….thinking it would have the 3+fluff on top for first tracks….we were wrong/lol…I think they groomed it with a Zamboni. It was coral reef….lol. (Rope drops in PA are not the same as other places…haha)

Have a great weekend!

Definitely a pleasure,@BC. - let's do it again soon on a day that I can hang out longer.
Have a good night session- and throw another layer on- @Scrundy ! It's brick out there tonight. I'm seeing 12 degrees for the start tomorrow.

We'll all have to have a SkiTalk meetup sometime this season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online