• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
First day at Blue today for the season. Snow guns were blowing and the ropes dropped on Razors for the first time this year. In typical Blue fashion Razors was like skiing on a billion ice cubes the size of golf balls. One and done for everyone I spoke to.

Hiked from the top of the Challenge 6 pack lift up to Coming Soon aka Free Fall. Got a dozen or so powder turns since the snow guns were actually blasting snow instead of frozen golf balls over there.

4 hour lift ticket was plenty with only 24 of 40 trails open.

IMG_0816.jpg

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another sputter. I'm getting old. Skipped today as I just couldn't face -6 windchills and opted for staying in bed. I know CBK opened more terrain with Nile Mile and it looks like Scarab to Pocono Raceway. Plan is 1st tracks tomorrow till it gets overrun. Regardless of the outcome of this storm coming up (Pokes will get some unfrozen) down the line looks pretty cold and I would assume (big word these days) the entire mountain will be open in the not too distant future. Can only hope for something like last year were the big snow came just after the entire mountain opened and the next month was some of the best Pocono skiing I've done. (pandemic and all)

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hammered out 15 runs from 7 30 to 9 30. Was getting busy but it was more the cold then the crowd that drove me in. Early bird gets the worm as conditions were very good first thing. Really got to open it up on an empty corded Nile Mile. Plenty of snow making going on and more terrain will be opening soon.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had about 4 inches of snow, then it turned to rain...yuck. Well, at least it will stay put on the slopes. Supposed to turn back to snow and get very windy.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, what do you expect from a Pocono area that charges $95 for a weekend lift ticket?

I won't be seen on the slopes there. Done...

Edit:
Just checked lift tcket prices for Blue Mountain this Saturday. $124??? :eek: Glad I'm moving out of this area, it's honestly getting too expensive for me to ski around here.
I hear ya. Where we are moving it’s cheaper to ski, and the skiing is better (more snow).
I have a season pass at Blue, so I don’t see these day ticket prices, but that is ridiculous..
I wanted to ski Montage on a Friday; the ticket price was $90. Wow.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had about 4 inches of snow, then it turned to rain...yuck. Well, at least it will stay put on the slopes. Supposed to turn back to snow and get very windy.
Yeah, same here. Now it’s snowing lightly. Typical eastern PA crap storm. :nono:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Montage has some weird pricing. Monday-Wednesday (non-holiday) it's $40 for anyone. Thursday and Friday it's $79 for anyone. The extended ticket is $89, maybe that's the price you got?

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Got my pre-work power hour in at Elk today. Definitely a good leg workout in the heavy snow, but got some nice first tracks.
The crowd was really flowing in as I was leaving around 9:45 am, so it won't be long until it's all chopped up.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
I suppose it would be interesting if they had cams down in the valley to even show the lift lines.
They certainly don't (or wouldn't want to) have cam pointing to the lift lines. I usually use their cam to gauge how much of a crowd they have on the day, and it seems to me that they don't really have much people at the top of the slope, that's why I was confused by the 1 hour line tweeted, perhaps it was a late tweet for the crazy situation last Saturday? Anyways JF seems to get hit pretty hard these days...

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
top tower cam shows only one of the two side-by-side lifts running....not surprised there is a huge lift line. WTF???

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did they fire up the Marc Antony by the time you left? Wondering if they’ll use it on weekends, like they used to.
They did not, but I don't think that, that is a permanent situation. They seem to be doing a good job snow making playing catch up from just a brutally warm December. That middle section of the mountain isn't open yet so Antony wouldn't be much help anyways. They got Pocono Raceway and were working on Rodo and Near East on Sunday. Nile Mile was open and I did 4 to 5 back to back runs on Stevenson just skiing on to the lift. Not sure about later (I got out of there) but the cold was the killer earlier yesterday.

Now 1 complaint. Camelback needs to learn how to efficiently use the RFID gates. I'm a fan of the gates and obviously use them all over the place on my Ikon, but it seems to me most places set the groups before scanning the ticket. Winter Park, Copper you go through the gates with your group. At Sullivan they are passing 6 through the gates at a time for a four person chair so you can imagine the cluster-you-know-what feeding on to the loading platform. Hopefully they will figure it out

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
They did not, but I don't think that, that is a permanent situation.

At Sullivan they are passing 6 through the gates at a time for a four person chair so you can imagine the cluster-you-know-what feeding on to the loading platform. Hopefully they will figure it out

It was similar at Elk yesterday (herding after the electronic gates).

Hope you're right about Marc Antony -- I find that mountain (on a crowded day) to be much different when that release valve is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.