• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021-2022 speculations and news

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I feel like Dynastar is trying to cater to an audience that they left behind and has left them behind.

Probably catering more to the “wide park ski” market vs narrower “playful charger” of the MFree 108.

The MFree 108 is such a game changer in that width range and has brought many new and existing Dynastar fans onto that ski. The only issue is their large 10cm gaps between sizing so many people including myself caught between sizes. Still may grab some 192cm versions as they were so awesome when tried them last year.

Supergaper

Slaying it gently.
Skier
Will hopefully be getting out on the new Kastle offerings tomorrow, work schedule permitting. New ZX 100 and new FX 106 Ti will be most suited to the conditions. Sierra style windpack- with a little bit of new on top. I ski 90% off piste, so always interested in the wider skis.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I feel like Dynastar is trying to cater to an audience that they left behind and has left them behind.

I get what you're saying, but I think Dynastar's need to be skied, then judged. Forget the Cham hangover, the mPros are much better skis. It's sorta like judging a Rossi Sender Ti by the parameters and audience of the Soul 7.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have you skied them?

Not yet but skied the MFree 108 in 182cm and 192cm as well as the 186cm MPro 99 so know their feel quite well. Their tips are fantastic for going over crud/float in powder and they are pretty damp for their weight. Loved the 182cm 108 in bumps/off piste but ran into the 18m speed limit on groomers that wasn’t present in the longer length. The 192cm does highway speeds in its sleep like a more playful MPro 105.

I’m sure I’d like the 185cm MFree 99 a lot in bumps/trees but would LOVE it 200g plus heavier with a longer turn radius which would make it a true Menace 98 replacement.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I get what you're saying, but I think Dynastar's need to be skied, then judged. Forget the Cham hangover, the mPros are much better skis. It's sorta like judging a Rossi Sender Ti by the parameters and audience of the Soul 7.
We are skiing with Dyanstar today and will be getting on the M-Free 99.
I'm looking for a new packed out bumps and trees ski to replace my FX85s. Historically (pre Cham) I loved the Dynastar feel. (8000s, Sultans.) So the M-Pro 90 is on my radar. Interested to hear about first hand experience with Dynastars / Rossis in this space.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
More info from Freeskier:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
New 2022 Attack 17 GW(replaces 16 and 18) and Attack 14 GW(replaces 13). Down 50 grams in weight per pair vs the previous models and it looks like the new Attack 11 GW finally has a similar 17mm heel height to it’s big brothers.
23BE4F1D-2CBA-475B-8139-2C7D9FFEE94D.png
4A4CD5E9-C48F-43FF-9536-EDEB127231A5.png
E0708F17-3161-42D9-A8A6-4D6F93574E18.png

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
Will hopefully be getting out on the new Kästle offerings tomorrow, work schedule permitting. New ZX 100 and new FX 106 Ti will be most suited to the conditions. Sierra style windpack- with a little bit of new on top. I ski 90% off piste, so always interested in the wider skis.
So, did that happen? I'm very curious about the FX106 Ti.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the links. I was hoping for available lengths in the 106. Intense googling has yielded no results thus far.
I don't even recall seeing the 106 to get on this past year. Not uncommon for a couple of reasons, Covid and that it's a ski that is not going to get a lot of focus with the addition of the new ZX skis, the carry over 108 and new 100.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Kastle FX 96 Ti have the same length options and dimensions as the standard version, so I would assume the same will be true of the FX 106Ti. So 168cm, 176cm, 184cm and 192cm. :huh:

Was disappointed to see the FX 96 Ti weight is almost identical to the standard version and also only mildly stiffer up front.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Was disappointed to see the FX 96 Ti weight is almost identical to the standard version and also only mildly stiffer up front.
While it was only mildly stiffer, it was a lot quieter and connected which I think accomplished what Kastle was looking to do with the new construction.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
While it was only mildly stiffer, it was a lot quieter and connected which I think accomplished what Kästle was looking to do with the new construction.

Was hoping they would have even more separation between the standard FX models and Ti models. The addition of titanal would dampen and quiet the ski but they used lighter wood core materials like Paulownia in the Ti which reduces the overall weight back down.

There are many out there that would love a more substantial Stormrider ski and this would have been Kastle’s chance to steal some of that market and gain some momentum back. Instead, it seems like it’s a smaller jump in that direction so might not be enough to steer new business their way.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Was hoping they would have even more separation between the standard FX models and Ti models. The addition of titanal would dampen and quiet the ski but they used lighter wood core materials like Paulownia in the Ti which reduces the overall weight back down.

There are many out there that would love a more substantial Stormrider ski and this would have been Kästle’s chance to steal some of that market and gain some momentum back. Instead, it seems like it’s a smaller jump in that direction so might not be enough to steer new business their way.

Substantial non race skis don't sell enough to bother. I say that with great sadness.