• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anyone know what trails Winter Park typically opens for opening day/week?

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cramner, Larry Sale, Village Way and maybe Lower Hughes.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I try to only go there when the resort is very uncrowded. Between all the various levels of skier and the cross-traffic it can be the scariest run on the mountain.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks. So with those trails open, I assume one can’t park at Mary Jane? Is the free parking on the Winter Park side at Vintage Parking, by the Village Cabriolet?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends. The lot across the street from that one is always free. That one is sometimes free..sometimes $5 and more on holidays.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Another short ski day. The lot was fuller when I arrived today than it was when I left the last time, a week ago. New snow brings'em out.

IMG_20211111_100031107_HDR (2).jpg
Can anyone ID this gentleman's skis? At first I thought they were vintage, but maybe they're just mogul skis. As I continued down the trail to the base I passed another guy similarly dressed and kitted. Hmmm...

IMG_20211111_100052523_HDR (2).jpg
These are probably one of my favorite skis. Evah! They are up there with my Ranger 98s and 99s, Bent Chettlers and Carbon Megawatts. Thank you Pugski and K2 as they were also a prize in a photo contest.

strava4910352513040245763.jpg
The snow was very nice still, no glaring ice, just firm easily edgeable conditions with binding deep in places along the edges.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Oh and if anyone is at Luv today and wants to ski a few laps, come knock on the grey Sienna with a roof box near the patrol HQ. I'm working/skiing a few laps when I can.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Opening day at Breck was not as wacky as I had expected. I actually hadn't planned to go until this morning. They opened at 8:30 (usually 9:00) with a DJ and two trails off CO Superchair, 4 O'Clock and Springmeier, then one where those two joined and continue as Springmeier.

IMG_20211112_072709216_HDR.jpg
Looking good from the 'hood.

IMG_20211112_072719962.jpg

IMG_20211112_084909118.jpg
Plenty of natural snow from the last few days of weather.

IMG_20211112_084915311_HDR.jpg
Almost good enough to ski.

IMG_20211112_085054703_HDR.jpg
Spruce.

IMG_20211112_085240803_HDR.jpg
Horseshoe Bowl. T-Bar wasn't open. ;-)

IMG_20211112_090652922_HDR.jpg
The Front Range.

The snow was firmer than at Keystone but that will likely improve with a bit more grooming. The wind was depositing fresh here and there on the groomed. You had to keep your wits about you to not mess up the transitions in coverage.

strava3413038679311220615.jpg
The lift was running a bit slow, from the strong and persistent wind, I think.

Oh. They removed the magic carpet (of death) and mechanical gates at the lift loading area. Woohoo!

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Opening day at Breck was not as wacky as I had expected. I actually hadn't planned to go until this morning. They opened at 8:30 (usually 9:00) with a DJ and two trails off CO Superchair, 4 O'Clock and Springmeier, then one where those two joined and continue as Springmeier.

Spruce.

The Front Range.

The snow was firmer than at Keystone but that will likely improve with a bit more grooming. The wind was depositing fresh here and there on the groomed. You had to keep your wits about you to not mess up the transitions in coverage.

Oh. They removed the magic carpet (of death) and mechanical gates at the lift loading area. Woohoo!

Chuckled at the last comment, haven’t not been to Breck (for now), have to ask are you referencing one of those automated sliders that pulls the skier forward to chair? It’s funny I feel like they are there to help never Evers get positioned but the first time my wife (2 years of skiing) got on one she freaked.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Chuckled at the last comment, haven’t not been to Breck (for now), have to ask are you referencing one of those automated sliders that pulls the skier forward to chair? It’s funny I feel like they are there to help never Evers get positioned but the first time my wife (2 years of skiing) got on one she freaked.
Yes. It's a six pack. You had to get on the carpet after dealing with automated gates. Both the gates and the carpet were off-putting and prone to creating problems for people. When this incarnation of the chair (upgraded from a quad to a 6-pack) was opened, there were TWO sets of gates to help organize people. Literally between day one and day two the first set of gates was removed because the tended to DIS-organize people far more than organize them.

ETA: I've seen lifties and patrol both be tumbled by mis-steps on the foolish carpet. Additionally, the timing of it invariably had the people on the carpet running into the back of the ski of the people actually loading the chair. Trying to delay getting on the carpet only 'enhanced' the likelihood that the skiers behind you would run into your skis. I am elated to see it removed.

Last edited:

itcomestoosoon

Booting up
Skier
skied at Keystone today. snow was better than I expected and the wind moved around some of the fresh snow to improve things. but the top was sooo packed. there were way too many people. thankfully, the wind thinned the people out over the course of the day. all in all I had fun.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@SBrown, I forgot to mention in my post that a guy recognized my pugski sticker on my boot and mentioned he met a woman named Susan on a ski trip in Japan. Something about karaoke and fun times? Couldn't have been you. :roflmao:

:beercheer:

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 148258

View attachment 148259

View attachment 148260

View attachment 148261

View attachment 148262
Spruce.

View attachment 148263

View attachment 148264
The Front Range.

View attachment 148265

Skied Breck opening day as well. Agree 100% with @Doug Briggs. As the day went on the ungroomed snow on the sides got thinner and thinner and found some hidden nasties. When will I learn?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Skied Breck opening day as well. Agree 100% with @Doug Briggs. As the day went on the ungroomed snow on the sides got thinner and thinner and found some hidden nasties. When will I learn?
Hopefully before you shorten your season. Skis can easily be repaired. Bodies, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January