• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Keystone has a long-standing agreement with Denver Water to pump 1,500 acre feet of water directly out of the Roberts Tunnel each ski season. The Roberts Tunnel is Denver Water's 23-mile tunnel under the Continental Divide that moves water from the Dillon Reservoir to the Front Range. The resort sits almost directly over the Tunnel (900 feet below), so it's a sweet deal for the snow-makers at Keystone.

1,500 acre feet of water is almost a half billion gallons H20!
That's an interesting arrangement. And one that actually benefits both parties. All that water that Keystone pumps out during a low usage period is stored on the mountain and will return as snowmelt in the spring and summer.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some major potential changes for us this coming season. We are hopefully buying a place in Gunnison (not moving full time, kids in school there for next 5+ years) and we’re seriously considering Monarch passes as our home mountain.

That would be 3 days @ LL, A-Basin, and Copper looking back to I-70 and I have a season pass at A-Basin. There are also days in other SW resorts - a pivot to skiing more new resorts. It looks ideal for skiing less on I-70 with more variety.

Not fully committed but it’s making an awful lot of sense. And maybe Epic longer term for CB….
Monarch is great. Went there last year. Pass holders at LL again this year and the 3 days at Monarch are a big reason we re upped. Really fun mountain.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Did anyone get their uphill pass checked at Winter Park last year? If so what were the circumstances, time of day, any incident lead to the interaction, etc. Their website says they provided about 2600 of them which has to be a tiny fraction of the number of uphillers that use the resort.

I've no problem donating to Grand County SAR but would prefer to cut out the middle man (the resort) if I could since they're providing no services to me.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I've no problem donating to Grand County SAR but would prefer to cut out the middle man (the resort) if I could since they're providing no services to me.

If they weren't providing services to you then you'd go uphill somewhere in the backcountry. They are providing you plowed parking, groomed slopes, avalanche mitigation, and patrol services. It's $15 for the year and all proceeds go to SAR. Just buy the pass so you don't waste patrollers time lecturing you.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
If they weren't providing services to you then you'd go uphill somewhere in the backcountry. They are providing you plowed parking, groomed slopes, avalanche mitigation, and patrol services. It's $15 for the year and all proceeds go to SAR. Just buy the pass so you don't waste patrollers time lecturing you.
I already pay for those other things with my standard downhill pass...

And no chance I'll ever require patrols help as I only skin up well after the resort closes.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I already pay for those other things with my standard downhill pass...

And no chance I'll ever require patrols help as I only skin up well after the resort closes.

Given that they raised 40k from the ~2600 passes issued, it's basically all going directly to Grand county SAR -- not the resort skimming much off the top. I don't see what the hang-up is. It's $15 that is basically a direct donation to SAR. You get issued an arm band and they ensure you know the rules around their policy at time of issuing.

Running a good uphill program like WP has takes resources -- whether it's the staff time to create policies, educate users or direct them on hill. Supporting it for a very reasonable fee rather than trying to work around it just makes sense to me.

If the contention is that it should be included in your pass -- I'd certainly provide that feedback to Alterra. Skirting the rules and putting the onus on patrol / hill ops to check if you're wearing an armband and know the rules is directing the concern in the wrong direction IMHO.

crazytoaster

Booting up
Skier
I am switching from Ikon to Loveland this year. If anyone wants to hit up Loveland during the season just let me know! I typically go up Fridays or Sundays. I am intermediate skier (started 2 years ago) and an advanced snowboarder (anything but cliffs, mandatory air, steep trees, or park), I know.... Trying to really improve my skiing this year as I picked up some new skis!

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Given that they raised 40k from the ~2600 passes issued, it's basically all going directly to Grand county SAR -- not the resort skimming much off the top. I don't see what the hang-up is. It's $15 that is basically a direct donation to SAR. You get issued an arm band and they ensure you know the rules around their policy at time of issuing.

Running a good uphill program like WP has takes resources -- whether it's the staff time to create policies, educate users or direct them on hill. Supporting it for a very reasonable fee rather than trying to work around it just makes sense to me.

If the contention is that it should be included in your pass -- I'd certainly provide that feedback to Alterra. Skirting the rules and putting the onus on patrol / hill ops to check if you're wearing an armband and know the rules is directing the concern in the wrong direction IMHO.
Yeah I am being obstinate about it. Just seems like everything is becoming pay to play these days and I only begrudgingly accept change so I'm slowly coming around to it, thanks for your reasonable and polite replies!

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I'm doing a 3 week trip out in Utah Feb-Mar 22, driving out from NC. My last day in Utah will be Mar 15. At this point I'm planning on starting to drive back east but not before getting in some skiing in Colorado. I will have the Ikon pass and will meet up with some old childhood friends that live in Denver and Boulder area. My first stop will be at Steamboat- haven't been there in over 20 years (very sad of me). The plan is to do a couple days there and then move on to either A-Basin or Winter Park for a couple more days. Will end up back in Boulder area and get at least 1 day at Eldora before starting the long drive home.
I've skied both A-Basin and WP, but not in later March. Will one be better than the other at this point? My friends in Boulder (big skiers) said that sometimes WP closes in later March. Since I'm trying to get the lodging figured out ahead of time I'm looking for input and some direction on which place to hit. I really would rather ski 2 days at either resort instead of trying to get a day in at each.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My friends in Boulder (big skiers) said that sometimes WP closes in later March.
That would be surprising, and probably takes a particularly bad year. (In which case, A-Basin may also be in rough shape.)

They've been open into May each of the last five years (except 2020, due to the pandemic). And haven't closed earlier than April 30th since 2014 (all the closing dates I could find).

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Chip

Both WP and Abasin are reliable in late march, which I would pin up to terrain preferences. If you're more into groomers then WP is better choice -- if you prefer more off piste and technical terrain than Abasin. Both are a better choice than Steamboat which is dominantly W facing and gets more sun affected by that time of year.

I would book lodging for the nights you intend to be around in Frisco/Dillion/Silverthorne/Georgetown. Then decide if you want to ski exclusively Abasin or jump over Berthoud for the day and ski WP before heading down to Denver/Boulder. It adds a bit to your drive but it isn't that bad unless you've got a massive upslope storm hammering Berthoud pass.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@jmeb
How will the moguls been on Mary Jane? Big and soft

No one knows. I've skied pow bumps at MJ in late March. I've skied hard less-than-fun crap. I've skied wonderful slush bumps. In general expect good conditions but ideally be able to call an audible to ski great wind buff at Abasin, or carve groomers at WP.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Chip

I would book lodging for the nights you intend to be around in Frisco/Dillion/Silverthorne/Georgetown. Then decide if you want to ski exclusively Abasin or jump over Berthoud for the day and ski WP before heading down to Denver/Boulder. It adds a bit to your drive but it isn't that bad unless you've got a massive upslope storm hammering Berthoud pass.
So booking a room in these locations- how far of a drive is it to WP? 40 minutes?
Is Loveland Pass typically closed at this time of the year? Is that even a viable route? Or is it better/quicker to travel on 70?

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So booking a room in these locations- how far of a drive is it to WP? 40 minutes?
Is Loveland Pass typically closed at this time of the year? Is that even a viable route? Or is it better/quicker to travel on 70?

Loveland Pass is a year-round route. It only closes at the height of a bad storm, or for post-storm cleanup. That said, if anyone in your party is unhappy traveling snowy slick high exposure routes, you might want to stick to 70. If it has been a few days since a snow, no problem.

Figure a minimum of an hour for Summit to WP. if there is weather, figure more. Georgetown is MUCH closer.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Loveland Pass is a year-round route. It only closes at the height of a bad storm, or for post-storm cleanup. That said, if anyone in your party is unhappy traveling snowy slick high exposure routes, you might want to stick to 70. If it has been a few days since a snow, no problem.

Figure a minimum of an hour for Summit to WP. if there is weather, figure more. Georgetown is MUCH closer.
How is berthoud pass going over 40 from Georgetown In the snow.

i know it gets windy and haven’t gone up that way in the winter.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sorry, I've never done Berthoud in a storm. Plenty of folks around here have though, maybe someone will chime in.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

From Dillion/Silverthorne/Frisco/Georgetown I'd only plan on skiing WP on a day I'm headed back to Denver rather than returning back. Georgetown is the best option if weather is good to hop between WP and Abasin, but it requires a mtn pass for either. If weather socks you in, staying in WP or Frisco/Dillion/Silverthorne and skiing what is close by. If you get that much snow, whatever is nearby will be fun to ski.

It's better than Loveland pass IMHO but a bit longer. Less exposed up top than Loveland (berthoud pass is all below tree line) leads to less blowing snow issues and you have a wider highway in most places. Still on either you're liable to need snow tires if there is a significant snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online