• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Steamboat Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I bit the bullet and bought an Ikon Pass this year. I'll probably make it up a few times this year. Just need to figure out if I want to day trip vs stay overnight and make a weekend of it. Anybody have lodging recommendations for a single night stay?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
we have an over-abundance of VRBO and AirBNB. if possible, I would try to do some mid-week trips. weekends have been a zoo, at least with last year, having virtually no restrictions. Until we see how the season shapes up from a Covid perspective, I would still try to do mid-week trips.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know for sure for airbnb, but VrBo is horrible for one or two night stays(and most don’t allow it) due to fixed costs.

Steamboat has a million hotels though. Get a hotel-branded credit card and get yourself a free night (or nights) at one or more of them.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

nhskier69

Booting up
Skier
More than enough. Copper is highly underrated in my opinion. There's a ton of terrain there.

...but this is a Steamboat thread. @Ron, hope to connect this season. Hoping it's "normal".
Just nocticed this is Steamboat. Skied steamboat last year. I loved everything about it except the morning lineup at the Gondola. Is it always like that?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Just nocticed this is Steamboat. Skied steamboat last year. I loved everything about it except the morning lineup at the Gondola. Is it always like that?

short answer is no. Steamboat was the only resort in Colorado that didnt have any significant Covid regulations related to capacity so we had open access to anyone with Ikon passes. People flocked into town every Thursday through Tuesday as every other major resort was booked out. Friday and in particular Saturdays were off the charts insane. Despite me telling people here, if you went on the Christy Chair the wait was a fraction of the gondola line. I am sincerely hoping we aren't as busy as it puts a serious strain on our towns medical staff and capacity as well as our food supply. (yep, its still not back to normal here). Routt County is running COVID positivity rates just below peak highs from 2020 so I'm not holding my breath that things will be back to normal. Of course, the Unvaccinated are responsible for the vast majority of cases and a good percentage of our tourist are from the south.....

Quick Note on Lift lines: typically, Tuesdays- Thursdays you will find very slight waits at the base but using the Christy Chair to the Thunderhead chair is much quicker overall plus, you can ski in-between lifts. I am very cautious and dont like crowds at lift line so the Christy chair works very well for me. But, once you get up the mountain the lines are not usually longer than a few minutes, the worst chairs last season other than the Gondi were Sundown and sunshine, and of course, on a powder day or peak tourist days, Morningside which can be 45-1 hour. the resort usually posts signs above Morningside warning of this. take heed.

Last edited:

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
We missed our yearly trip to Steamboat for the first time in 20+ years last season due to Covid concerns and restrictions. We want to schedule for two weeks this season late January/early February, but the rapid increase in new cases has us on the fence. Being vaccinated, we're not too concerned for our own health, rather what restrictions might be in place in case it hits the proverbial fan. I wouldn't mind eating meals microwaved in the hotel room, but that's not my girlfriend's idea of a vacation. On a related note, will the winter carnival be held this year? - we usually time our trip around it.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
On a related note, will the winter carnival be held this year? - we usually time our trip around it.

I haven't heard anything but my guess is that since it's outdoors, it will. Based on the numbers now, take out or cook at home would be the safest options. (no significant restrictions are currently in place to eating at restaurants indoors). I hope conditions allow you to make it back!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
family and I plan our typical early Jan trip having skipped last year due to Covid, hopefully by Jan things will have subsided from this current peak.

Love to meet up with @Ron as you're such a great host even if not skiing.

@weatherman, hotel wise if only one night, there were a few that offered 24hr cancellations. Otherwise many in the ski season have a 3 day min cancellation policy or worse. Doesn't matter if you know but not great if it's a maybe outing.

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
@Ron I just booked a post-New Years trip for me, my son, and my niece (20 yr olds) a week ago or so. We’ll be staying near the Thunderhead lift (Scandinavian Lodge) with the goal to avoid most of the base area traffic as it seems COVID is not going to go away quietly. We’re all vaccinated and I’d be interested in meeting up for a couple hours or more if you are. I’ve skied Steamboat before, but not in the last 20 years or so. We ski pretty much anything, and spend more time off piste, than on, but probably a bit slower than most as we only get out west once a year.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, as in some previous years for Steamboat meet up ....

pete: Jan 7th - 15th (will likely shift a wee)
others: ?????

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, I'm pretty stoked and hope all pans out .... last year was very very minimal skiing and the boat is our family big trip of the year ... looking fwd to the new gondi and while I don't care for a lot of change, think I may like some of these ... Fish Creek ... only 2 more years!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I am very excited about the improvements and feel they are much needed and will only make the resort better. certainly, the flow of the base area pedestrian traffic will be improved and once the new Gondi is completed, it will make a significant improvement to the flow on the mountain, getting folks to where they want to ski much faster.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
short answer is no. Steamboat was the only resort in Colorado that didnt have any significant Covid regulations related to capacity so we had open access to anyone with Ikon passes. People flocked into town every Thursday through Tuesday as every other major resort was booked out. Friday and in particular Saturdays were off the charts insane. Despite me telling people here, if you went on the Christy Chair the wait was a fraction of the gondola line. I am sincerely hoping we aren't as busy as it puts a serious strain on our towns medical staff and capacity as well as our food supply. (yep, its still not back to normal here). Routt County is running COVID positivity rates just below peak highs from 2020 so I'm not holding my breath that things will be back to normal. Of course, the Unvaccinated are responsible for the vast majority of cases and a good percentage of our tourist are from the south.....

Quick Note on Lift lines: typically, Tuesdays- Thursdays you will find very slight waits at the base but using the Christy Chair to the Thunderhead chair is much quicker overall plus, you can ski in-between lifts. I am very cautious and dont like crowds at lift line so the Christy chair works very well for me. But, once you get up the mountain the lines are not usually longer than a few minutes, the worst chairs last season other than the Gondi were Sundown and sunshine, and of course, on a powder day or peak tourist days, Morningside which can be 45-1 hour. the resort usually posts signs above Morningside warning of this. take heed.
45 to an hour on the Boring side? That’s nuts! That chair went in for my second season ski bumming there. We would still do the hike up to the chutes/gates to skip the ski down the back. It’s only like a 10 minute boot.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
45 to an hour on the Boring side? That’s nuts! That chair went in for my second season ski bumming there. We would still do the hike up to the chutes/gates to skip the ski down the back. It’s only like a 10 minute boot.

I can still get a few good laps in on a pow AM using BAR-UE up to Storm Peak and then ski down the Texas terrain Park (aka, boring side) on the far skiers right side, so the chair is useful for about 2 hours before the hoards descend :).

Sponsor

Staff online