• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Steamboat Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
This thread is still quiet. We skied 13-16, met up with local buddy @Chip and his pal. We got the whole variety of hardpack, packed powder, fresh powder, sunshine, heavy fog, even some sleet. Hit open slopes, nice glades, and both freash and frozen moguls, It was a really great trip. We'd go back in a minute. Spring break week so some lifts and slopes packed earlyi, but crowds but very manageable. This picture fairly typical, with a view I like.

1647620655182.png

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
This thread is still quiet. We skied 13-16, met up with local buddy @Chip and his pal. We got the whole variety of hardpack, packed powder, fresh powder, sunshine, heavy fog, even some sleet. Hit open slopes, nice glades, and both freash and frozen moguls, It was a really great trip. We'd go back in a minute. Spring break week so some lifts and slopes packed earlyi, but crowds but very manageable. This picture fairly typical, with a view I like.

View attachment 163490
Had an awesome time skiing with @pipestem and his daughter for two half days. Left Sandy, Utah early Tuesday morning and was skiing with them by 1pm. Spring like conditions and it was very fun to say the least.
Wednesday morning we skied together until around noon when they had to leave to drive down to Denver. It was very foggy but snowed the entire day. Conditions Wednesday morning were kind of firm, but the snow helped and made for a really fun Thursday. My buddy and I mostly skied the Bar UE and Pony lifts all day and had great snow under the Bar lift and in the trees to skiers left, and continued to find untracked snow in the trees off Pony in the afternoon.
Can’t wait to get back in the future.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw that there was an avalanche fatality in Fish Creek Canyon this past week.
Yeah, on the 19th.

Not buried... found against a tree by his skiing partner, but still didn't make it.

"Skier 1 was caught in the avalanche and came to rest against a tree. He was not breathing when his companion reached him. Skier 2 performed CPR for close to an hour as the Routt County Sheriff's Office, Routt County Search and Rescue, and Classic Air responded to the scene. CPR was not successful. Classic Air evacuated Skier 2 via helicopter, and efforts to retrieve Skier 1 are underway. " (Published on 3/20/22)

Very sad, as always.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, on the 19th.

Not buried... found against a tree by his skiing partner, but still didn't make it.

"Skier 1 was caught in the avalanche and came to rest against a tree. He was not breathing when his companion reached him. Skier 2 performed CPR for close to an hour as the Routt County Sheriff's Office, Routt County Search and Rescue, and Classic Air responded to the scene. CPR was not successful. Classic Air evacuated Skier 2 via helicopter, and efforts to retrieve Skier 1 are underway. " (Published on 3/20/22)

Very sad, as always.
I can’t remember any other fatal avalanche accidents in FCC in the last 30 or so years. I imagine there’s quite a bit of traffic back there these days. Much more than 96 and 97 when I was there.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I can’t remember any other fatal avalanche accidents in FCC in the last 30 or so years. I imagine there’s quite a bit of traffic back there these days. Much more than 96 and 97 when I was there.

It seems every year there are rescues there. But fatal accidents are still somewhat rare.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier

View attachment 163490
Here’s a picture of @pipestem and his daughter during their last day. It was very foggy and snowing, but the conditions were improving throughout the day.

I’m on the left and @pipestem on the right.

8353787C-AB64-461A-8288-E23F2D84B91C.jpeg

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @Chip !! Great way for us to end the week. Fog just made that first run down so much more adventurous - mogul what mogul? Say thanks to Joe. Ready to go back ?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
dang, I missed out on some extra trips out to the boat this year but hope to do so next year.

my rental owner pinged me mid March noting the snow, offered me her place if I wanted it. next year .. yes!!

but a remembrance from Jan, 4-6 inches fresh, trees between the Tomahawk, Flintlock area: Steamboat off Flintlock.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a 2022/2023 thread??

Sponsor

Staff online