• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
While the wide run at bottom is Red Dog, the peak at top left is Snow King, and the run coming in from top left of center is Lower Dog Leg and I'm pretty sure that lift is bottom of new Base-to-Base gondola that will connect Palisades to Alpine. It's a little confusing how close base looks to trees in what I thought was closed-to-skiing gully between Red Dog and Exhibition, but I'm thinking that trees may actually be below the Funitel base in @luliski's photo.

According to https://gondola.palisadestahoe.com/projects/red-dog "base terminal will be moved to the east, giving skiers direct access to the lift right from the parking lot. The lift will pass over the Far East Express and terminate in the same location it does now. The new Red Dog is slated to spin for the 2022-23 season." So not only will Red Dog base be further East, it would need to be turned almost 90 degrees to go to same location.

I took some pictures 5/22 after downloading Funitel and my notes say the fencing lengthened my walk to SUV parked just past Red Wolf Lodge.
4097NewGondolaBase.JPG

I also have to wonder how much more affected by wind gondola will be than KT. In this picture, I circled top of KT in green and where gondola goes over ridge in yellow. Not only are chairs generally less affected by wind than gondolas, I think KT, except for very top, is in a much more protected place, especially from W-SW winds that usually occur during storms.
4101NewGondola2c.JPG

In other Tahoe news, smoke from fast growing Oak Fire that started Friday near town of Mariposa (10-15 miles West of Washburn Fire that started 7/7 and threatened Mariposa Grove of sequoias in Yosemite got to South Tahoe late Saturday afternoon. My son and friends who were backpacking in Desolation Wilderness woke up to heavy smoke at 4 AM Sunday morning and got on trail out at 5 AM, a few hours earlier than planned. PurpleAir shows smoke level in the high 100s in SLT, over 200 at airport and Meyers, and over 300 in places along and above US-50.

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Does anyone have any information on the status of the Palisades(Squaw) parking lots for the upcoming season. The covered parking pass price has been unexpectedly raised by 100% (from 700 last year to $1400 this year), so I am wondering if any large changes are planned or the resort just gotten really greedy this season. Thanks!

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Red Dog chair : going in back within 50 yards or so of where it started years ago… back in the day it was within the grey bldgs, now just next door but with a new lift line which will cross ovr Far East chair. That’s Red Dog ( slope) to the right. CEF4298C-B9DB-4E58-AD79-6FE6AD7F9129.jpeg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The waterpark at Palisades is blocked! Judgement that all development plans and approvals are in essence dead!

I for one was not expecting this considering how much political momentum and investment and approvals the development plans had.

From sfchron, but there are also writeups in other ski related news aggregators:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The waterpark at Palisades is blocked! Judgement that all development plans and approvals are in essence dead!

I for one was not expecting this considering how much political momentum and investment and approvals the development plans had.

From sfchron, but there are also writeups in other ski related news aggregators:

Paywall

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it just me or should these newsworthy Palisades updates be in a 2022-23 version of this thread?

or is it just too soon to start that new thread?:daffy:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Doubt it's dead. Alterra have too much skin in the game for that. Expect multiple appeals and an endgame where possibly modified things are judged CEQA compliant. Also this is a golden goose for Placer County surely so there has to be political will to keep it alive.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Doubt it's dead. Alterra have too much skin in the game for that. Expect multiple appeals and an endgame where possibly modified things are judged CEQA compliant. Also this is a golden goose for Placer County surely so there has to be political will to keep it alive.

I suspect you're right; this is just a battle in the larger war.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
For decades there have been seething local groups based at Squaw that have used every legal monkey wrench available on any new developments in that valley. Often they've used the Sierra Club lawyers and funds to legally bully their way. Originally it was also a war of counter culture Nordic enthusiasts versus alpine skiers. In some cases Paulsen and Cushing were indeed out of line. What one can predict is as soon as the Altera group adequately addresses whatever CEQA objections are in the latest case, that there will be a whole set of new ones that (surprise) is essentially an endless legal delaying tactic.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, because the development plan is asinine. Water park? It doesn't make business sense and it doesn't make sense period.

They would do a lot better to spend a few million on employee housing so they can have enough people to run the resort.

But what can you expect with the quality of management they had, wirth, or have.

I understand though that it's hard to attract top quality managers to work in a ski resort.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Building a water park near one of the premier lakes in the world seems.....stupid. Better employee housing and ensuring easy access parking for guests seems smart.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Building a water park near one of the premier lakes in the world seems.....stupid. Better employee housing and ensuring easy access parking for guests seems smart.
But water parks bring families who spend money in stores and restaurants and concessions and souvenirs. They're not making money off the lake.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But water parks bring families who spend money in stores and restaurants and concessions and souvenirs. They're not making money off the lake.
No, it's just an expense for altera.

Nobody will come here for the water park, they will go to Vallejo.

So they will not get incremental visitors.

A lot of people come here for the lake, world famous.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No, it's just an expense for altera.

Nobody will come here for the water park, they will go to Vallejo.

So they will not get incremental visitors.

A lot of people come here for the lake, world famous.
eh
If i rebrand "water park" through the lens of "private membership pool and rec center", the "water park" is a centerpiece to sell a bunch of $10k memberships and snag the country club families who already have kids on skiteam and a ski locker, but kids are a bit too young to be entertained in just tennis or golf for summer.
I'd say take a look at tahoemountainclub instead of raging waters as an example

Last edited:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Note that a pool with a small slide and a sprinkler makes the pool count as a waterpark from a permitting perspective. A nice swimming pool with lap lanes would be a wonderful addition to the development. Maybe it would cut down on traffic and pollution since we wouldn't have to drive to the fancy new Truckee pool with it's slide, sprinkler and kiddie lazy river. And kayaking hours in the lap pool. Nobody bitched about that "waterpark".

But because it's "evil" Alterra, we can only have a nasty old cracked asphalt parking lot. Keep Squaw true to its parking lot roots?

There are too many lawyers second guessing everything. Maybe Alterra has more lawyers so something will change with the acreage of asphalt.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.