• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
For decades there have been seething local groups based at Squaw that have used every legal monkey wrench available on any new developments in that valley. Often they've used the Sierra Club lawyers and funds to legally bully their way. Originally it was also a war of counter culture Nordic enthusiasts versus alpine skiers. In some cases Paulsen and Cushing were indeed out of line. What one can predict is as soon as the Altera group adequately addresses whatever CEQA objections are in the latest case, that there will be a whole set of new ones that (surprise) is essentially an endless legal delaying tactic.
I approve of these creative tactics to slow development down

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I have yet to check out Northstar but keep hearing bad things about its parking....
It's what corporate greed and mismanagement looks like. Suck all the joy out of a ski day before you've even got your first turn.

Remote parking with high capacity express shuttles delivering you to the base of the lifts would be fine. Eliminate the high capacity, express and base of lifts and you have Failstar.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
That gondola should have went to Truckee instead of alpine meadows to fix the traffic issues
was this option even discussed? Seems way too logical :ogcool:

It's what corporate greed and mismanagement looks like. Suck all the joy out of a ski day before you've even got your first turn.
Hit the nail on the head! This is exactly how I felt on my last visit there 2015ish. By the time I walked through the dark, dank mini city of skyscrapers towering above, I was over it :(

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
was this option even discussed? Seems way too logical :ogcool:
While they're at it, they could have run it to Northstar, then to Palisades, and then down to Homewood as well. Call it the "Tahoe Ski Connector" or something.

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing would evoke nature and serenity like a monorail going around Tahoe, down to Kirkwood and up to Truckee.

Next stop Donner Lake.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO, the waterpark was a throwaway from the start, a concession to give up and was never a real consideration. From the start I had few major concerns with the plan. Starting with parking, adding more rooms with no additional place for them to park, when parking was already too maxed out. The second was employee housing, which is an industry wide problem as it is. Lastly is traffic in and out, 89 just cannot handle it. We can make it 6 lanes wide but unless the mousehole gets addressed nothing will change.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have yet to check out Northstar but keep hearing bad things about its parking....
I haven't been there in several years. That was my "home" mountain when I got back into skiing in 16-17 or 15-16 or whenever. I very quickly learned that one must get there early, park on the "hairpin", and take the little gondy up to the hotel. That avoided slogging through the village. Bonus was Homerun took me right back to the truck. Things have changed since then so I don't know if that's still a good plan.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Parking is a huge issue. Availability of water in the valley is another one. A water park is not a bad idea in isolation from the water issue. There is not that much to do in the valley in the summer compared to the other parts of the basin. Tahoe and Donner lakes are relatively far. But without plentiful water a water park is a pipe dream, so Phil is right: it was always a throwaway.

the mousehole has been there for close to a hundred years apparently, so I doubt anything will ever be done to it. however, people who will stay in the newly built condos will not have to deal with the mousehole.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
For those who keep an eye on the list construction at PT ( Squaw). The B2B gondola midstation is still just the concrete foundation. More worrisome is Red Dog. The old lift is out and there is nothing in place of it. No towers, not even concrete at the bottom terminal. I am starting to wonder if they are expecting to finish Red Dog by the start of the season. They absolutely have to finish it by February, for the WorldCup stop however. Early season without Red Dog may be interesting to say the least. They now have robust snowmaking at Gold Coast, which may be hinting at plan B.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For those who keep an eye on the list construction at PT ( Squaw). The B2B gondola midstation is still just the concrete foundation. More worrisome is Red Dog. The old lift is out and there is nothing in place of it. No towers, not even concrete at the bottom terminal. I am starting to wonder if they are expecting to finish Red Dog by the start of the season. They absolutely have to finish it by February, for the WorldCup stop however. Early season without Red Dog may be interesting to say the least. They now have robust snowmaking at Gold Coast, which may be hinting at plan B.
Hmmm...if Red Dog isn't in it will be hard to install when our epic winter starts on early November! WC on Gold Coast area? Sibo?

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Wow - even though I'd seen the plan I just hadn't envisaged it coming like that across the parking lot (don't know what I was imagining - possibly dropping in from higher pylons)

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I guess it’s enough for them to build the Alpine to KT leg, then you can take the KT lift up… if you travel from AM side and can ski KT, you are SOL…

the WC will be on Red Dog, that’s the main attraction, some say it may be one of the hardest GS hills on the circuit. I believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online