• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just as Winters Creek is still "Slide" or "the Slide side" at Mount Rose Ski Tahoe and MRST is still "Rose" or "Mt. Rose" to old timers, so shall it be at Palisades Tahoe. Even when the two areas are physically hooked together, they will still be separate and likely referred to in the now past tense . I'm not advocating it, just saying.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just as Winters Creek is still "Slide" or "the Slide side" at Mount Rose Ski Tahoe and MRST is still "Rose" or "Mt. Rose" to old timers, so shall it be at Palisades Tahoe. Even when the two areas are physically hooked together, they will still be separate and likely referred to in the now past tense . I'm not advocating it, just saying.
I looked at the webcams to see what they are doing there. One side is called (predictably) Alpine Meadows and the other side is now called "Olympic Valley". Makes sense. But yes, "Squaw" will still be in casual use for a long time, no doubt.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I looked at the webcams to see what they are doing there. One side is called (predictably) Alpine Meadows and the other side is now called "Olympic Valley". Makes sense. But yes, "Squaw" will still be in casual use for a long time, no doubt.
Yup. Looks like Palisades Tahoe = Alpine Meadows + Olympic Valley

Screenshot_20210913-104119~2.png

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yup, the name is meh, but the logo is cool looking.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier

I too like the new logo. The meaning behind it is also nicely done.

"Vital to both the history of Olympic Valley and the Washoe people, the Eagle is a legendary symbol of freedom that keeps watch over our valleys.

We added our two mountains in a way that can also be read as eagle feathers or the waters of Lake Tahoe.

The shapes reference the flat land and cliffs of the Palisades, while the wavelike forms exude the distinct vibes of California culture."

Screenshot_20210913-103013~2.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I think it was a great choice. I like the name, love the logo, and look forward to getting a shirt/mug/souvenir next time I visit!

And I think people should casually refer to the sides as Alpine, and O.V., or maybe Oly ("Ovie" or "Ollie"). Of course, you can't dictate casual names or nick-names since they just sort of... happen.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Personally, I think it was a great choice. I like the name, love the logo, and look forward to getting a shirt/mug/souvenir next time I visit!

And I think people should casually refer to the sides as Alpine, and O.V., or maybe Oly ("Ovie" or "Ollie"). Of course, you can't dictate casual names or nick-names since they just sort of... happen.
I think people will refer to the Squaw side for a very long time. West Face run was renamed 20 years ago, and still people call it West Face. And Jonny Moseley is very, very well-liked at Squaw.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think people will refer to the Squaw side for a very long time. West Face run was renamed 20 years ago, and still people call it West Face. And Jonny Moseley is very, very well-liked at Squaw.
Do you think the rationale behind this particular name change (as opposed to many others that are just marketing/branding) will have any impact on the continued usage of the old name?

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Do you think the rationale behind this particular name change (as opposed to many others that are just marketing/branding) will have any impact on the continued usage of the old name?
Honestly, no. I have never seen or heard anyone referring to it in a slur way and I hang around that resort a fair bit. In fact, that the word "squaw" is considered a slur was news to a vast majority of people on the mountain.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
It is also interesting that Squaw team coaches got spiffy brand new uniforms, branded Squaw Valley, just last year. Unless they got. special contract with North Face, I am sure they are not about to dump a bunch of almost new North Face GoreTex jackets and pants just for the sake of the logo change, so probably the team administration was not in favor of the impending name change either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online