• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
Alpine skied well on the groomers today. I timed getting to Sherwood just after a mechanical hold ended and got a few line and crowd free laps to let it rip on the groomer. Some long lines early in the day. Got there around 8:20 before parking filled up.

Going to the Olympic side tomorrow.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Going to the Olympic side tomorrow.
On this front it seems they've given up on calling that side "Olympic". The website, app and ops tweets all label it Palisades now, and I think it's going to stick.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On this front it seems they've given up on calling that side "Olympic". The website, app and ops tweets all label it Palisades now, and I think it's going to stick.
Yeah. I've been calling it Palliwood from the get go. We all knew that the name change was happening because one base area had an offensive name, but I don't think it was super clear that PT was intended to replace SVAM, not SV. Then ops tweets and social media were likely confusing for people not familiar with the lift names because it didn't distinguish between OV and Alpine. Ops would say something like "15 lifts on the schedule for tomorrow!" meaning throughout both bases, and then there would be all these RTs asking "How about at Alpine?"

If you can't get your own social media team to use the nomenclature, what hope do the rest of us have?

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
The App calls them Palisades and Alpine. I've been abbreviating it either Pali or PT. I stopped in Estelle's in the Alpine base lodge for a hat and they told me they're selling out all Alpine-branded gear and replacing it with PT-branded gear.

Edit: Did not buy a PT hat. I wanted an Alpine one that I had seen, but it was sold out.

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah when I was at Alpine near Christmas, I wanted an Alpine beanie but they only had Palisades Tahoe merch. Sad.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally made it to Kirkwood this morning. Left Alameda at 5:45 and got to the turnoff from 88 around 8:30, where we hit a huge line of cars pulling in. Most of the traffic was coming from Tahoe.

We scored the last paid parking spot ($25) near the main lodge about 8:45 and were on our way. According to Twitter the entire parking filled about two hours later.

Lines were fine most of the day except TC express which we avoided although the kids wanted to go to the park. People were masked inside the lodge (except the ones eating) and the conditions were great. We got in ten runs and four hours later we left and got home by 5. It was a surprisingly good day.

View from the top of cornice bowl, including one of my son. Sorry pictures are not my strong suit.

Attachments

• B9B9EB60-E97C-4D73-A3F2-CCFA84922038.jpeg
    B9B9EB60-E97C-4D73-A3F2-CCFA84922038.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 3DCB00FF-F4E5-41C8-AC6A-6B598E868BF0.jpeg
    3DCB00FF-F4E5-41C8-AC6A-6B598E868BF0.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 306A1086-6725-4FF7-99F0-1D963B005B44.jpeg
    306A1086-6725-4FF7-99F0-1D963B005B44.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 22

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Am expecting Kirkwood will be more crowded on Sunday's this season than it has in the past with many SLT lodgers ending their weekends there instead of both days at HV or Sierra-At-Tahoe, with the latter closed. Probably social media has played up KW. Thus wise to drive earlier.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Am expecting Kirkwood will be more crowded on Sunday's this season than it has in the past with many SLT lodgers ending their weekends there instead of both days at HV or Sierra-At-Tahoe, with the latter closed. Probably social media has played up KW. Thus wise to drive earlier.
Sierra-at-Tahoe being closed will definitely be impacting Heavenly & Kirkwood. As you mention, SLT/Meyers/etc. - all would now be missing an option. Most of the ski team coaches and kids from Sierra also ended up going to Heavenly/Kirkwood.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
My experience at Kweed over the holidays which is a fair proxy for weekends is get in the valley by 8.30. That means adjusting drive time for chain control speeds etc. Friends failed twice when they were hoping for a drive off slot around 11.30.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sierra-at-Tahoe being closed will definitely be impacting Heavenly & Kirkwood. As you mention, SLT/Meyers/etc. - all would now be missing an option. Most of the ski team coaches and kids from Sierra also ended up going to Heavenly/Kirkwood.

I rode the chair up with a longtime Kirkwood guy who said they are indeed getting the influx from Sierra-At-Tahoe crowd. He also said ski school makes Timber Creek area unpleasant after 10am.

Looking at the EpicMix app and Twitter it looks like the lines are pretty similar as yesterday except the backside (Sunrise) is wide open and the parking lots are not full.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Diamond Peak 1-9 (Sunday)

Summary: a terrific Sunday in Vermont with better scenery.

Snow: Classic east coast frozen granular mostly, with some packed powder here and there. Locals call it icy, I call it very fun on something with sidecut. I had on my ancient Skilogik Ullr's Chariot TT, which is a full camber ski with a tight radius. Easy to get an edge in. I put them on expecting a lot of mashed potatoes (a condition for which they have no equal) but fortunately they do ok on firmer stuff.

Crowds: Parking pretty busy, but I lapped the HSQ on the upper mountain for 3 hours and never waited in line.

Conditions: Strangely the air was warm but apart from a few isolated spots the snow was not. I think we are dealing with some underlying rain crust that has been groomed into this FG surface. In any event, fun groomer skiing. Bumps not so fun on the black diamond trails. The small piles that built up as the day went on were super fun for unweighting on Warp 11 hip dragging carves and reversing direction.

Trees: Very unpleasant. Do not recommend. Coral reef.

Bottom line, lots of fun for groomer skiing. Probably will be nice when it warms up too.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose was an absolute blast today (Monday, 1/10). Everything is chalk. The groomers, the trees, the bumps. Even the wind scoured south edge off Washoe Zephyr. There are spots in the trees that are smoother than some of the groomers. I was anticipating bobsled tracks to my waist in the trees but, no, smooth in most areas with some bumps popping up here and there. I was on FX96s but anything narrower would have been fine. @Stephen is in town and we skied with @Pat AKA mustski and her husband Bob. I love showing people around the mountain but Stephen was here yesterday with @Philpug, @Tricia, and @AKMINK and recommended the trees. I'm glad we did them. Slide Bowl is a hoot for carving in conditions like this and the big Kastles did just fine. 20220110_124403.jpg
If you keep going to skiers right off Washoe Zephyr, this is your view of Washoe Lake with Carson City behind the hill on the right. The snow was, um, interesting in this area. The ski area boundary is just over by the taller trees.

20220110_101312.jpg
Bob

20220110_101302.jpg
Pat

20220110_101242.jpg
Stephen

52112.jpeg
Your's truly

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose was an absolute blast today (Monday, 1/10). Everything is chalk. The groomers, the trees, the bumps. Even the wind scoured south edge off Washoe Zephyr.
Similar report from my daughter who was at Heavenly today. She was surprised how good everything off-piste was (compared to yesterday at Diamond Peak where it was definitely not worth going off the groomers). She said Milky Way Bowl and Mott's were skiing really well. Even the return to base down Gunbarrel was nice. The only crunchy sections she hit was in the trees/shadows lower elevation areas on CA side.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Similar report from my daughter who was at Heavenly today. She was surprised how good everything off-piste was (compared to yesterday at Diamond Peak where it was definitely not worth going off the groomers). She said Milky Way Bowl and Mott's were skiing really well. Even the return to base down Gunbarrel was nice. The only crunchy sections she hit was in the trees/shadows lower elevation areas on CA side.
That makes a lot of sense. The last storm was rather warm but it seems like it was snow at higher elevations, so, rose is less likely to have gotten iced out than DP. Anyways, any day on snow is a good day :)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I had on my ancient Skilogik Ullr's Chariot TT, which is a full camber ski with a tight radius.
Funnest do anything, anywhere ski I have ever owned. Blew the edge out on my last decent pair a couple of weeks ago on some of that volcanic Kirkwood rock.
RIP Chariots …
8A782BEB-2E3A-4654-AFBF-074DAD41F0FD.jpeg

PC: Chris Morgan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor