• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like better cover than when @mdf and I were there this time last year.
For sure.
The 17 ft storm in December set the mountain up, which was fading after three months of no snow, but the April refresh brought it back to life.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
After some early morning corn hunting yesterday …
653505E0-E57D-4A52-89F6-FBBEE50CF9F2.jpeg

…Hit Kirkwood’s finale today! I hope this is an indication of a return to the days when it was a regular thing to stay open into May or beyond when the skiing is so good. I think I skied most of the main runs off each lift (except Olympic) more than once today, great Spring conditions!
0133F62F-3806-4626-BF4C-744FBE2BA749.jpeg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I was at Kirkwood closing day, starting about 9:15 after parking in no. 1 spot by cat crossing near Timber Creek. The same guy from Sonora as on preceding Tuesday and Thursday pulled in next to me. His youtube channel is Blown Lines (skiing and river running as he is a Mokelumne river ranger in Summer.) Crash At Kirkwood - YouTube is from last Thurs which was the cold day I mostly skied with him and former Bear Valley patrol director.

I skied a couple of runs with him and his friend before finding my friend, who got his Kirkwood house (he calls it cabin) back from ski lease on Fri, and his son on our first Cornice lap. There had been a hard freeze at Kirkwood overnight especially up high. I tried the Wall at 11:30, 12:30 (after short break where I picked up free Gatorade and swag (I already had Kirkwood Deep polo, probably from SF movie event) from entering 3961KirkwoodDeepSwag.JPG Kirkwood Deep photo contest) and again at 1:30 after taking three PM laps on the Reut that had softened well. Wall was getting better, but was still not yet soft (or smooth) enough to ski very fast until almost where grooming started. There was the longest Wiggle I've ever seen on Cornice. It had at least 25 turns and went between Kirkwood's Fingers and Monte Wolf which softened early and where I took first 2 Wiggle pictures.
3953WiggleTop.JPG
3957WiggleMiddle.JPG
Last picture of most of the Wiggle and crowd waiting to enter it taken from Wall chair (it continues behind trees). I didn't try on my 186 cm skis.
3969WiggleFar.JPG
I moved to Cornice for my last two Kirkwood laps. I was surprised how big bumps were that had formed at top of Zachary where snow was also totally scraped off in some places. I finished with Sentinel where I saw somebody drop Big Jim’s, Kirkwood’s version of Corbetts that required about a 10’ drop then 40’ straight line. I did it once on 210s in front of a patroller. I’ve seen 10s of people doing it after lift had closed for day and season not that many years ago. I quit at 2:15, was on the road before 2:30 and got off 101 in So. San Jose at 6 at the exit for my Mom’s as I needed to be home for her 92nd birthday. Not sure if my season if done after 8 days in April and 14 in March after taking most of Feb. off.
3974BigJims.JPG
I could still make it to Mammoth, but probably would be weekend before Memorial Day with possible stop at Palisades on Friday.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This storm story popped up on my FB memories today.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Really good skiing at La Sades today! A little rain, a little freeze last night then today blue skies, no crowds, breezy but not windy…
7ACE341D-479C-4398-8F3D-D3752AC2178D.jpeg

…& even a Sun Dog
8393584A-B747-48DB-AD09-FE43FA10F2F3.jpeg
Some frozen areas early (like Shirley) but everything softened up eventually & never sticky. Skied multiple runs off each of the main open lifts (Siberia, Shirley, Granite, Gold Coast, Solitude & Big Blue. Even some sneaky good off piste was had.
Looks like tomorrow may be a return to Winter. :huh:

Last edited:

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really good skiing at La Sades today! A little rain, a little freeze last night then today blue skies, no crowds, breezy but not windy…
View attachment 168660

…& even a Sun Dog
View attachment 168661
Some frozen areas early (like Shirley) but everything softened up eventually & never sticky. Skied multiple runs off each of the main open lifts (Siberia, Shirley, Granite, Gold Coast, Solitude & Big Blue. Even some sneaky good off piste was had.
Looks like tomorrow may be a return to Winter. :huh:
Yea that was cool! There was also a second sun dog and it got pretty bright/visible. We skied from 9 to 230 and had a blast today!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I went for a good mountain bike ride.
Oh and did my first quarter expenses .... So ,we need you to visit the SkiTalk store....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor