• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Really good skiing at La Sades today! A little rain, a little freeze last night then today blue skies, no crowds, breezy but not windy…
View attachment 168660

…& even a Sun Dog
View attachment 168661
Some frozen areas early (like Shirley) but everything softened up eventually & never sticky. Skied multiple runs off each of the main open lifts (Siberia, Shirley, Granite, Gold Coast, Solitude & Big Blue. Even some sneaky good off piste was had.
Looks like tomorrow may be a return to Winter. :huh:
I guess we should have rallied and headed up.
Here is a Sundog from earlier this year.
D967E4FE-BA17-41EB-BCEF-381261F8D716.JPG

dwerdd

Booting up
Skier
Going to hit Palisades Tahoe on Saturday, apparently ~60F highs (assuming they're referring to elevations closer to the base).

I'm still a bit new to spring skiing on the west coast, and this will definitely be the warmest day I've ever skied. Any recommendations for whether to ski on Brahma 82s or Ranger 102 FRs?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Going to hit Palisades Tahoe on Saturday, apparently ~60F highs (assuming they're referring to elevations closer to the base).

I'm still a bit new to spring skiing on the west coast, and this will definitely be the warmest day I've ever skied. Any recommendations for whether to ski on Brahma 82s or Ranger 102 FRs?
If you're driving up and can fit both, bring both. Start on the 82s and go from there. Since you'll have to download on the Funi just take both pair to the Gold Coast lodge and leave one pair in the rack. Lock them if you wish. We haven't but we haven't been there on a Saturday either.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Any recommendations for whether to ski on Brahma 82s or Ranger 102 FRs?
lf it were me I would probably choose the 82s. I don’t think it will be typical spring skiing this weekend. After fresh snow this week and no overnight freeze tonight or tomorrow my guess is probably groomers for a few hours and it will get sticky. I hope I am wrong but I don’t believe the snow will have enough time to transition back to corn snow.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Pretty sweet skiing this morning off Sibo, definitely better than expected. Even the bit of frozen crust was supportable enough for some fast surfy turns. We only skied a few groomers but everything skied well till things began getting sticky around noonthirty. Still lasted longer than I thought it would & lift waits were never more than a few minutes. Temps in the 60’s when we quit around 1:30.
My friend Jerry…
7B66E466-2A77-499E-9CE0-3637516576A9.jpeg
I think tomorrow could be good for awhile in the morning at least on the groomers & maybe some of the mogul spots that got some traffic today. A solid freeze would really help but even with temps in the mid 30’s the clear skies should allow for a pseudo re-freeze & a decent window in the AM.
Oh yeah, still plenty of snow in the open areas.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia, @Philpug, @Winks, and I didn't get up until a bit later, around 11:45 on the hill. Pro tip? Go early. Super sticky snow, especially trying to get to Shirley Lake lift and anything below Gold Coast. Everything else up higher was only merely annoyingly sticky, though we didn't do any hike to turn runs. Palisades would do well to follow the Mammoth method and start spinning around 7-7:30 and closing at noon or 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor