• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lows at night look like they'll be all right, but it's a question of how many hours out of 24 the resorts can do snow making.

Mammoth Mtn. is looking very attractive about now....

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously though, got the welcome to the unlimited alpine lessons email today. Big stoke here in spite of less then stellar conditions. Any other ski talkers in this with me. I’ve heard from one other. Hoping for a great cohort group of new (to me) ski friends.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seriously though, got the welcome to the unlimited alpine lessons email today. Big stoke here in spite of less then stellar conditions. Any other ski talkers in this with me. I’ve heard from one other. Hoping for a great cohort group of new (to me) ski friends.
See you there, Mark. :cool:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

What’s the email?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Depressing and frightening article in today’s Chronicle. The headline is

Snowpack in California’s Sierra Nevada could disappear in just 25 years​

Link here: Chronicle article

The headline overstates the information source probably because the above better serves as click bait. Also urban newspaper reporters do not tend to be mountain people so tend to understand weather and mountain subjects like this poorly.

Generally atmospheric temperatures change 3F (1.8C) degrees per 1000 feet. Current predictions for 2050 show a change of just 1.6C higher. But lets go way higher. A change of 4C at the Tahoe latitude would mean a change of average storm snow levels from about 6,000 feet to 8200 feet. That would of course greatly affect Tahoe ski resorts making conditions at the base of Kirkwood similar to those now at the base of Squaw. The Northern Sierra would see mostly rain storms in winter while there would still be considerable snow over much of the Southern Sierra because those mountains have vastly much more square miles of higher elevations above 8,000 feet. Thus the headline more properly should be:

Snowpack at Tahoe could disappear in just 25 years

Note Lake Tahoe is at, 6,250 feet above sea level while the High Sierra has many peaks over 13k and 14k. Also the reporter makes it sound like we would be losing water. That may be true if the northern jetstream changes to the north putting California in desert latitudes but if snow just became rain, it would not make much difference with what flows into reservoirs. Each winter most of the Sierra north of Tahoe is already in the rain zone and reservoirs like Shasta or Oroville have no problem filling up. It just won't happen during summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online