• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pali Valley wasn't bad today, everyone went home so lines were minimal. Lots of firm stuff that softened just enough when the sun came out. Got my first ever run down Women's Downhill as I continue to check off my list of more advanced terrain. I'm back again in two weeks but looks like there won't be much new snow between now and then...

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Kirkwood Monday 1/10/2021. We did not leave home until a few minutes after 10. I loaded the Reut lift a little before 2:30. Picture of racers under lift taken at 2:29. There were at least as many at bottom of course, probably even more.
3235RacersOnReut.JPG
Top of Conestoga with view down of Kirkwood's base and valley and peaks of Desolation valley in left background.
3238TopOfConestoga.JPG
I took a warmup run on Conestoga, then moved to Cornice lift where I skied Sentinel (still firm, but mostly smooth), Janek (best of three) and Zachary’s (OK if you turned where snow had been pushed to vs. from). I also took two laps to Hole-in-the-Wall where snow was excellent, but had slight delay when Mom and/or liftee (who was in shack) failed to help 3? year-old load lift and she didn’t make it. Sun behind on of the Sentinels.
3241BacklitSentinel.JPG
Next I did a lap on the Wall where top was still good, but middle needs some grooming. I cut over above top of Reut and repeated top of Conestoga, then cut over to chair 2/Caples Crest where sun was rapidly moving up the mountain. I only had sunglasses with me and had been skiing shady runs on Cornice without them. Snow on the two Caples Crest runs was very good, but visible was tough without removing shades partway down. My last ride I was on chair near top at 4 PM (they load until 4:05) and missed getting picture of three patrollers straight-lining under chair. I skied excellent High Whiskey for the first time this season and my last run of the day. My dog and wife were happy to see me near the bottom on chair 1 when sun went down it quickly was too cold for them to wait outside 7800. We plan to ski Heavenly Tues. through Thurs.
3245CaplesCrest4PM.JPG

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seems like yesterday was nearly sublime compared to the weekend mess. Sugar Bowl did not disappoint, once the sun came out. Looks like East Face might have actually had some corn later in the day. Enjoyed some newly fitted stiff liners and the long-awaited Augment SLs. Starting sneak up on being in shape for my February week at Beaver Creek.

freddie

Booting up
Skier
Hi - Does anyone know when the shuttle bus between Squaw and Alpine will start service? I heard service was suspended due to a lack of employees.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi - Does anyone know when the shuttle bus between Squaw and Alpine will start service? I heard service was suspended due to a lack of employees.
It currently is scheduled and running, and displays as an open lift in the liftstatus page. so any suspension was only for a particular day.
Should there be new interruptions or it getting taken off schedule the Ops tweets are your best source for that info-these are usually only temporary interruptions .
e.g.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Heavenly Tues 1/11 - Today was the first day where crowds went away after initial line to get up Gunbarrel and short lines on Ski and Dipper from about 10-11. It was also my wife's first day of the season as she didn't want to gear up for the less than 2 hrs. I did at Kirkwood on the way up on Mon. We met friend I used to work with who has moved to So. Tahoe in line at Gunbarrel not much after 8:30, well before 9 AM opening, and skied a few laps on Sky chair, mostly Ridge Run although I got my wife to go down steeper, but very well-groomed Ridge Bowl.
3252LuciaRidgeRun.JPG
3254LuciaRidgeRun.JPG
My wife and friend took intermediate route to NV while I skied very good Milky Way Bowl, then left side of the Y in Mott Canyon. I met up with them for a run on Comet, then we all returned to CA via excellent 49er and Tamarack chair. After riding Sky to the top, we skied Ridge (with Bowl option for me) then Mombo and rode Groove. They downloaded Gunbarrel chair while I skied Advanced Roundabout and Pistol to get to where I parked to put on sunscreen, drop a layer and swap skis.

My wife had friend drop her at cabin while I returned to the top of Heavenly and skied Inner Outer Limits and Pipeline, my first time into Killibrew Canyon this winter. I usually ski ropeline on Outer Limits but snow was good on Inner and it made it easier to not miss now unsigned Pipeline.
3258InnerOuterLimits.JPG
Looking down Pipeline where I don't think sun hits this time of year. Snowless nearly flat Carson Valley about a mile below.
3259PiplineDown.JPG
3263KillibrewExit.JPG
Exit was very thin, but patrollers who came down Pipeline after me shoveled more snow onto corner. Light got flat in PM due to cloud cover and temp dropped, but I kept at it until almost 3, skiing under the top two Tram towers my last run to avoid some of the bumps on Face/East Bowl. Will be back for more on Wed.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Went to Palisades today on the Olympic Valley side (I guess that's what it's called this week) with @Tricia, @Philpug, and @Stephen and had a good day. We met up with @WadeHoliday too. Conditions ranged from a bit refrozen in the shadows to chalk to spring almost-corn in Sun Bowl. Had some good runs, a fairly spectacular crash, and saw a sundog like I've never seen before.
20220112_120554.jpg
Phil and Tricia

20220112_120817.jpg
This view stopped us for about 5 minutes. We just stood and looked.

20220112_121004.jpg
Sundog behind the tree.

20220112_122544_044_saved.jpg
Phil in Sunbowl

20220112_122629_002_saved.jpg
Stephen in Sunbowl

20220112_143730.jpg
Tricia in Sunbowl

freddie

Booting up
Skier
I have noticed in some posts that Kirkwood is refereed to Kweed.

Is this an inside joke?

Could someone explain?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It's a bit more relaxed than the squarer uptight Tahoe places and has some neat caves in the Palisades for critical safety meetings.

Plus staff who live up there are fairly isolated so....

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have noticed in some posts that Kirkwood is refereed to Kweed.

Is this an inside joke?

Could someone explain?
And at some level, it goes back a ways to when weed was less common at other resorts (think 80's, 90s and aughts) and Kirkwood was the exception to that generalization.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sometimes you win, sometimes the mountain does @Andy Mink
tempImageBUZRsW.png
tempImagev3Lk3h.png
tempImageGtf6cj.png
tempImagecpnW8i.png
tempImageyGistu.png
tempImageoj2NWc.png
tempImagesZDwU0.png
IMG_9370.jpeg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Had a late start due to taking care of a few things this AM. Used little known parking area at 9:30 so we only had to walk ~100' feet to put on skis and could easily ski to Gunbarrel chair (see last picture for spot). We took a couple of laps on Canyon. Ridge Bowl was not as good as previous day early, but got much better during day as it got skied. Then we used Sky to go NV as that's where we thought friend from Minden was. I took The Y to Mott while my wife took a lap on Dipper which was busier than usual due to Comet going down (for day?) Sign for and looking up skiers right leg of The Y that I skied for first time this season. Very good winter snow as sun does not hit it and it has not gotten that warm.
3276TheYSign.JPG
3278UpTheY.JPG
Friend was in CA so we rode Dipper and skied CA Trail and found him at Sky. Epic Mix caught all my lifts and said we did Sky and Canyon 3x each between 11:30 and 12:40 when my friend had to return to NV and my wife was ready to head down. I got them both to ski recently opened right side of Canyonland and black diamond Ellie's Swing to Ellie's. I also skied Sky Canyon once, we all skied Ridge Bowl and my wife and I repeated it. We moved down mountain on Mombo, then somewhat sticky Swing Trail, then luckily shaded SW-facing Stein's Way. Two of us on Ridge Run.
3281RidgeRun.JPG
We got down the lowest level of CA via Advanced Roundabout, then I dropped Pistol and we both skied to truck on World Cup which was still a little firm. My wife tailgated while I took out shorter radius ski and rode Gunbarrel twice, skiing still winter snow on shaded left side of Gunbarrel, then mostly staying to right of big bumps on The Face/East Bowl which I entered by ducking rope to get past closed today Lakeview Lodge. 3283EnteringFace.JPG
3284Tram+Bumps.JPG
3287LuciaTailgating.JPG
My wife with couch we used truck to bring to cabin (and have yet to unload). I needed 4WD to backup to get into parking. After a short break at cabin, that is between here and Lake visible down road, we (with our dog) walked 4-5 blocks to sushi place that we had never been to before that is very highly rated. Since patio mentioned in reviews is closed due to snow, they let our dog lay under our table. Great 4-5 PM Happy Hour.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor