• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
tempImagesZDwU0.png
@Andy Mink , just in case you wonder why your knee is more sore than usual. :)

Rather impressive flexibility.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink , just in case you wonder why your knee is more sore than usual. :)

Rather impressive flexibility.
Surprisingly, no out of the normal aches and pains today.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I have noticed in some posts that Kirkwood is refereed to Kweed.

Is this an inside joke?

Could someone explain?
There was a time in the 80’s when this was known slang. There may have even been some T-shirts but I haven’t heard it referred to as that in decades till now.
Other nicknames have been “The Wood”, Kwood, & during one memorable winter during the 80’s “Ice Station Zebra”.

My new name after skiing there a few times during the holidays is "Vail 7-11" because even though parking is filled by 9am everyone is riding lifts 7 & 11 leaving no lines on 6 or 10 :ogcool:

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
There was a time when CHP had a checkpoint in Hope Valley where they stopped cars on way to Kirkwood to see if they smelled of marijuana until the resort asked them not to harass their customers. I think they even chased down some vehicles they saw turning around before checkpoint.

As someone who has skied Kirkwood nearly every season since they opened, I find the name juvenile and offensive. "KIRKWOOD deep" is on my helmet and a better name for the place along with the K-factor which is when they get a foot of new snow while Heavenly gets an inch or two.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Diamond Peak 1/12:

Earlier this week was a nice midwinter day in Vermont. Today was kind of a nice mid spring day in Vermont...IE.....warm, sure, but the snow didn't know it except in spots where it was real grabby. No corn or mashed potatoes I found, sadly.

In general, the more something was skied the better it was, best run on the mountain was Crystal Ridge as it gets the most traffic. Most of the steeper stuff to skier's right was FG type conditions by the time I got out at 2pm.

There is just a LOT of water content in that snow. I'm not sure if it was rain crust or what, but it kind of reminds me of how things are in the spring on that training run they build for Mikaela over at PV off Shirley Lake after they close it up and knock it down with the groomer. Surrounded by spring, but distinctly different.

Will probably hit Alpine today and Saturday (I find blackout days at Alpine are quiet) and try HV on Monday in search of some high north.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I agree, should just be left back in the 70's or 80's.
Maybe they should change their name to Kalisades :duck:
Hmm maybe I should reconsider my use of the term if previous denizens of the valley consider it offensive. Anyone got a handful of $m while I consider a rebranding exercise?

FWIW I considered the term a celebration of the free spirit of Kwood/weed skiers not a derogatory term. Maybe now CBD has gone all corporate (like Kwood now the generators don't blow up regularly ;) ) it's possibly more derogatory.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Friends don't let friends fall without taking a few pictures. Is there a new emoji in one of these?

Title: "show us your bases"

Glad the only injury was to the ego. Of course you know that this means war, right? :roflmao::roflmao:
I was trying to show the sidecut in a less sterile setting than a shop!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
FWIW I considered the term a celebration of the free spirit of Kwood/weed skiers not a derogatory term.
I’m not offended. It’s just that weed is so mainstream in California it’s lost a lot the “cool” factor lol :)
or more likely I’ve lost my cool factor :cool:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Will try to keep this short as I have a lot to do to get out of cabin, hopefully by 10:30. Not a good Thursday as wind-prone lifts did not open at Heavenly. We loaded Gunbarrel shortly after 9 and had one lap on Canyon (Ridge to perfectly groomed Ridge Bowl) before line started building on 2nd lap. I timed it at 11 min on our 3rd and last lap. My wife and I repeated Ridge to Ridge Bowl cutting over to Mombo. Lucia rode Powderbowl 3 times while I got an extra lap when she used facilities at Stein's. Powderbowl line was growing so we rode Groove twice. On our re-warmup run down Groove the toe on one of her track Marker bindings slid forward and she crashed hitting her head. She felt good enough to finish run, ride lift again and ski Advanced Roundabout to Roundabout to CA base. But she was not 100% so we tried Barton clinic at base, but we eventually learned it's only open weekends. I called ski patrol number I found on tram building and dispatcher sent EMT patroller who arrived in 5 minutes. Both were very professional, calming but concerned. Patroller recommended urgent care just past Kingsbury, but they did not have Dr. so we went to ER at main hospital by the Y. Lucia was diagnosed with a concussion, released about 4. She has headache and sore neck this morning, but seems to be doing OK after 10 hrs. sleep. For longer version, see https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/threads/heavenly-ca-and-nv-1-11-1-13-22.14471/ Lesson learned is to check those adjustable bindings at least one a season. She only has about 20 days on the skis.
329CanyonLine.JPG
Most of Canyon line at 10:30. We were cruising Maggie's the run where my brother and I learned to ski almost 60 years ago.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry to hear about the injury. If you are looking for unsolicited advice on the sensivity to brightness and or overstimulism. i can recommend to get a bunch of sleepmasks as well as eearplugs or noisecanceling headphones to lower sensory inputs during recovery.
It helped me a lot when i had my head injury.
The sleepmasks are relatively cheap on amazon, you don't have to spend a lot, but do get a few as they will wear out. The one with 3d bug-eye design and/or the nose cover are more comfortable and work better to keep out more light...but it is not rocket science.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I have passes at two resorts this season - not normal for me. That is how optimistic I am.
same here.

Used one 3 times; the Epic local not at all.

Between unusual Covid crowds this year, closed roads and boilerplate except on groomers
it's been hard to get out much.

Of course, excuses are not allowed here ! :duck:

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
What's up with Palisades/Oly. The Palisades app shows everything CLOSED now except Shirley Lake. Even the carpets ? ? ?
Makes no sense. Everything open at Alpine except wind hold on Summit Chair,

Nothing on the lift ops blog. 11 lifts total between both areas open. . (Shuttle buses seem to be counted as 2 lifts)- BS )

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
What's up with Palisades/Oly. The Palisades app shows everything CLOSED now except Shirley Lake. Even the carpets ? ? ?
Makes no sense. Everything open at Alpine except wind hold on Summit Chair,

Nothing on the lift ops blog. 11 lifts total between both areas open. . (Shuttle buses seem to be counted as 2 lifts)- BS )
Lifts are still running looking at the webcams

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Oh wow, 2023 binding test. That's dedication. :hail: Thanks.

Surprisingly, no out of the normal aches and pains today.
Was that on Horse Trails? That's usually some of the hardest snow on the mountain:). Even the Augment is no match:)... Glad you feel OK. I am always amazed how the PugSki crew is always ready with the phones to film "kompromat".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online