• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
What's up with Palisades/Oly. The Palisades app shows everything CLOSED now except Shirley Lake. Even the carpets ? ? ?
Makes no sense. Everything open at Alpine except wind hold on Summit Chair,

Nothing on the lift ops blog. 11 lifts total between both areas open. . (Shuttle buses seem to be counted as 2 lifts)- BS )
Could be power outage.

Nevadan

Booting up
Skier
Was at Palisades (still not use to that name) all day today and it was marginal at best. I learned a new word for snow from a female patroller. I said "Is there any soft snow anywhere?" Her answer, "It's ass!" And she quickly apologized. But it was. There was no soft snow anywhere and we went over the entire mountain. There was a little bit on the nose of Headwall and under the Squaw Creek chair (or whatever that's called now) in that steep section but nothing you could turn it loose on and rip down the mountain. Winds and cold air just wouldn't let the snow soften up. I do not ski groomers but did today and it was the first day in decades that I didn't sweat while skiing.

What was odd is that it looked beautiful and seemed warm in the parking lot but just never softened anywhere on the mountain, the first time I've never found anything at Palisades. Again, in decades!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Was that on Horse Trails? That's usually some of the hardest snow on the mountain:). Even the Augment is no match:)... Glad you feel OK. I am always amazed how the PugSki crew is always ready with the phones to film "kompromat".
One of those in that area. Good stuff!

Nevadan

Booting up
Skier
The eastern winds were blowing up the mountain, I don't know what the temperature was but it was never warm up top.

I'm sure once it warms up it will be fine but today was an abberation in skiing all my years in Olympic Valley.

We were going to call it PAT, Palisades at Tahoe, but was informed by the same patroller the actual name is Palisades, while Alpine is still called Alpine.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just listened to the podcast with J.R.

Scroll down for link to podcast…
www.sierraattahoe.com/blog/general/caldor-fire-update/
Just finished the 2 podcasts.
A very different scenario than what the real time news was projecting. The story about the single brick structure that burnt down was heartbreaking. At the time, I remember thinking great all structures saved except one garage... Turns out that was the "equipment vault" with everything that burnt down. :(
Part-2 highlights the "Sierra survived" news stories vs. the reality. Esp. the "just one building lost". :(

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just finished the 2 podcasts.
A very different scenario than what the real time news was projecting. The story about the single brick structure that burnt down was heartbreaking. At the time, I remember thinking great all structures saved except one garage... Turns out that was the "equipment vault" with everything that burnt down. :(
Part-2 highlights the "Sierra survived" news stories vs. the reality. Esp. the "just one building lost". :(

Having watched the fire come up the mountain on the fire lookout cameras, I was really surprised when the initial reports were that only a maintenance garage was damaged. There was a wonky perspective on the cameras (like, no way to assess depth), and I certainly am not either a fire expert or any other type of engineer, but I couldn’t figure out how the lifts, like Grandview, were not affected based on what I was seeing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Was at Palisades (still not use to that name) all day today and it was marginal at best. I learned a new word for snow from a female patroller. I said "Is there any soft snow anywhere?" Her answer, "It's ass!" And she quickly apologized. But it was. There was no soft snow anywhere and we went over the entire mountain. There was a little bit on the nose of Headwall and under the Squaw Creek chair (or whatever that's called now) in that steep section but nothing you could turn it loose on and rip down the mountain. Winds and cold air just wouldn't let the snow soften up. I do not ski groomers but did today and it was the first day in decades that I didn't sweat while skiing.

What was odd is that it looked beautiful and seemed warm in the parking lot but just never softened anywhere on the mountain, the first time I've never found anything at Palisades. Again, in decades!
Rose was pretty good but mostly stayed on the groomers. Washoe was wind scoured bumps. No Tahoe skiing for us for about a month, we will be on the road. Hopefully by the time we get back we will have seen some fresh come in but I am not hopeful I see the rest of the month to continue being another Juneuary.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose was pretty good but mostly stayed on the groomers. Washoe was wind scoured bumps. No Tahoe skiing for us for about a month, we will be on the road. Hopefully by the time we get back we will have seen some fresh come in but I am not hopeful I see the rest of the month to continue being another Juneuary.

Yeah, it was pretty nice on the Rose side except for some scraped-off spots. And I didn't get to the Slide side until we we made an ill-advised decision to hit Gold around 3:30 and it was coral reef bumps.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, it was pretty nice on the Rose side except for some scraped-off spots. And I didn't get to the Slide side until we we made an ill-advised decision to hit Gold around 3:30 and it was coral reef bumps.
That was our last run yesterday. @Philpug said he thought the bumps on Gold were nice. I must have taken a different line! Man, they were hard!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Maybe now CBD has gone all corporate (like Kwood now the generators don't blow up regularly ;) ) it's possibly more derogatory.
I talked to someone who worked on the large truck trailer generators brought in on New Years holiday a few years ago . All power to the entire area was lost when the generator building burned down. A real ah shit situation ! They could only get reduced power as they could not get the 3 phases synced properly. I’m pretty sure they get power from the grid now.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And ours were clearly re-frozen in the late afternoon shade. :doh:
I figured with Gold being in the sun all morning it would have softened by noon. I was, um, incorrect. It must have been colder than it felt because soft was not anywhere near most of those bumps.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alpine 1-15 AM:

A day of happy surprises. I did Alpine today; normally on blackout days I go next door due to (IMHO) a better lift system for busy days but given recent conditions felt Alpine would have better groomers.

Happy Surprise 1: Due to a toddler tantrum I didn’t get there until 8:40 or so and still got walkable parking…past the intersection, on the right, directly under one of the new gondola towers.

Happy Surprise 2: Skied onto TLC at 9:03am

Happy Surprise 3: Grooming on the whole hill was the best I’ve seen all season anywhere in Tahoe (which isn’t saying a lot, but it was really nice all the same). Lots of good warp 11 for the first hour.

Happy Surprise 4: Despite the howling wind yesterday and hard freeze (it was 20 at my car at 8:40) Sherwood softened up to a lovely buttercream on the groomer about 10:20. The off-trail stuff skiers right was nice about 11.

Happy Surprise 5: I made a last minute decision to head back to the frontside and head down expert shortcut. A bit further south than I would have liked, I figured it would be coral reef. The morning glaze had softened to a very nice chalk. Strangely the Sherwood cliffs area and Our Father wasn’t nearly as nice; Expert Shortcut benefitted from some southeast exposure I think.

Had to head home at noon due to some other commitments, but the crowds never got crazy. As a single the longest I waited was maybe 3 minutes. Driving back home by Diamond Peak, it’s actually busier at DP. Blackout days strike again!

Probably will do the same tomorrow unless I hear SV is getting close to a corn harvest. Then maybe HV on Monday (I never go there on weekends).

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I figured with Gold being in the sun all morning it would have softened by noon. I was, um, incorrect. It must have been colder than it felt because soft was not anywhere near most of those bumps.
:roflmao: At least you were thinking. We were just looking for bumps......

BVG

Booting up
Skier
Skied northstar today. Not a huge fan of the mountain but my boss invited me and I figured they were best in Tahoe at laying down the groom.
Snow was not great. Tried skiers left on a handful of backside runs and it was icy to say the least. Found a couple of decent stashes off vista and drifter.
Always great to be on the mountain but I miss the turns from 3 weeks ago. Good day to test the new enforcer 94s though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online