• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Long-time Alta season pass holder and local ski legend David Vandame (AKA Farmer Dave) recently passed away unexpectedly. Alta featured a video on their website about him last season, when he was 73 years old. Most long-time skiers in the Cottonwood Canyons either knew him, knew of him, or knew of his "work". RIP Farmer Dave.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Long-time Alta season pass holder and local ski legend David Vandame (AKA Farmer Dave) recently passed away unexpectedly. Alta featured a video on their website about him last season, when he was 73 years old. Most long-time skiers in the Cottonwood Canyons either knew him, knew of him, or knew of his "work". RIP Farmer Dave.

Rocking the Pocket Rockets! RIP Dave

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My only thought is it'd better just keep coming so there are early openings galore and no snowpack stability issues. The forecast does show 3 more storms out in the Pacific. I'm pretty bummed that biking season seems to have been cut short by about a month, so let it snow snow snow!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My only thought is it'd better just keep coming so there are early openings galore and no snowpack stability issues. The forecast does show 3 more storms out in the Pacific. I'm pretty bummed that biking season seems to have been cut short by about a month, so let it snow snow snow!
I was thinking about the same things. I seriously doubt that Snowbasin will open early even if they get a ton of snow. It is just not the way the Vail/corporate mentality works anymore. As I've said before, why should they when they already have our money. Besides that they've got the new lift work in the way & the weather & shipping issues will likely cause delays on that project. I hope they prove me wrong but I think they will be pushing it to be open by Thanksgiving.

On the other hand, some places still try to do the right thing. Apparently Brighton has opened at least twice during October & seems to always make an effort to open early. There or Solitude have been the first places I have lift skied a number of times. It wouldn't surprise me if Pow Mow opened early if they had enough snow, just hasn't happened for them in a long time.

As for the snowpack, the way things have been going I don't think we are in trouble yet & next weeks storms look to be juicy & warm. That could help keep some stability & begin to provide an actual maritime type base but perhaps I am just being optimistic. Again, time will tell.

I am not giving up on MTBing yet. Looks like it warms significantly tomorrow & the rest of the week. It may be done in the Ogden Valley but the BST where I rode yesterday could be good in a day or two.
3F35F50C-9112-4938-8366-C6BFDE4CCBA2.jpeg

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Down here it’s possible PCMR would open a WROD early as it would give them bragging rights vis a vis Deer Valley which is almost certain to not waver from their December opening date. But I doubt PCMR would open much terrain. As is the case most years, I look to the Cottonwoods and hope they’ll get it going early. Wanna work on my turns!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you, so not real mosquitoes
I just read this and had to laugh. Mosquitos from your neck of the woods are the size of turkey buzzards. SLC mosquitos are pfft.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I saw this news and though I didn't know him, I knew of him.
Nothing but fresh tracks Farmer Dave.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I was thinking about the same things. I seriously doubt that Snowbasin will open early even if they get a ton of snow. It is just not the way the Vail/corporate mentality works anymore. As I've said before, why should they when they already have our money. Besides that they've got the new lift work in the way & the weather & shipping issues will likely cause delays on that project. I hope they prove me wrong but I think they will be pushing it to be open by Thanksgiving.

On the other hand, some places still try to do the right thing. Apparently Brighton has opened at least twice during October & seems to always make an effort to open early. There or Solitude have been the first places I have lift skied a number of times. It wouldn't surprise me if Pow Mow opened early if they had enough snow, just hasn't happened for them in a long time.

As for the snowpack, the way things have been going I don't think we are in trouble yet & next weeks storms look to be juicy & warm. That could help keep some stability & begin to provide an actual maritime type base but perhaps I am just being optimistic. Again, time will tell.

I am not giving up on MTBing yet. Looks like it warms significantly tomorrow & the rest of the week. It may be done in the Ogden Valley but the BST where I rode yesterday could be good in a day or two.
View attachment 145619

View attachment 145619
Except there is no reason Snowbasin has to follow the way Vail does it. They can choose to do things differently. Although they have been making some unpopular decisions all on their own lately.

Cool photo. Well done on not giving up on MTB so soon.

4ster

Instructor
Except there is no reason Snowbasin has to follow the way Vail does it.
When I say Vail/corporate it is the model they created that I am referring too. They set the tone & most everyone else follows suit. With that said, I believe PC has the earliest announced opening date in Utah on Nov. 19th.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I just read this and had to laugh. Mosquitos from your neck of the woods are the size of turkey buzzards. SLC mosquitos are pfft.
In North Carolina, they used to report mosquito bites. That was quite funny too. It is 70s again, so they are back out in Wis. It can freeze at night anytime now.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
When I say Vail/corporate it is the model they created that I am referring too. They set the tone & most everyone else follows suit. With that said, I believe PC has the earliest announced opening date in Utah on Nov. 19th.
Okay, understood.

I think Vail inherently wants to be open by Thanksgiving weekend even if it just a few open runs in actuality to support business for Thanksgiving vacations. Snowbasin has no such dynamic, which is why I would suspect they may not have as much of a push to open early.

I love that Brighton is a ski area and not a ski resort per se and their is still often has some semblance of an old school vibe on weekdays even if it is owned by Boyne and now on the Ikon pass. It is changing but I'd argue none of the major ski resorts in Utah has kept that old school vibe as much as Brighton has.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Along with Solitude, Brian Head, and Woodward. Brighton hasn't announced an opening date yet but I'm sure they'll beat everyone else to the punch per usual. Alta's had lots of skiers/riders hitting the slopes. As of a few days ago, there were two well-trafficked skin tracks and one booter leading up from the Collins base. I'd estimate there were well over 100 vehicles in the car park. I didn't venture further up canyon but no doubt many others were hitting terrain from the Albion base as well.

4ster

Instructor
More on Wasatch Peaks…

I am not for or against a project like this but it seems every time a planning commission says something will benefit our tax base it only increases the old-timers property taxes and drives them out.
County officials said the project will help the local economy and benefit the tax base, but the referendum backers say they are worried about environmental and quality of life impacts.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
More on Wasatch Peaks…

I am not for or against a project like this but it seems every time a planning commission says something will benefit our tax base it only increases the old-timers property taxes and drives them out.
And our property taxes here in Morgan County have gone up every year by hundreds of dollars and will be going up again next year. (Wasatch Peaks, for those who don't know, is in Morgan County.) The "big sell" was that it will help our tax base. You know what else would help our tax base? Having those who own a home here as their second home and not primary residence and not a long-term rental pay more in property taxes.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 145619
We'll most likely head north to get some early season skiing in. Early season at Snowbasin is terrifying. Better midweek but still pretty scary. Hoping Targhee gets a really early base like they did 4 years ago.

TS
P-Ute

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And our property taxes here in Morgan County have gone up every year by hundreds of dollars and will be going up again next year. (Wasatch Peaks, for those who don't know, is in Morgan County.) The "big sell" was that it will help our tax base. You know what else would help our tax base? Having those who own a home here as their second home and not primary residence and not a long-term rental pay more in property taxes.
How are residential property taxes calculated in Utah?
Residential properties that serve as someone’s primary residence receive an exemption of 45% of fair market value. As a result the primary residence is only assessed and taxed based on the remaining 55% of its fair market value.

What is the exemption for second home in Utah?
On the other hand, the taxable value of a second residence or an unoccupied residential property would be equal to 100% of fair market value. Residential properties that serve as someone’s primary residence receive an exemption of 45% of fair market value.

Residential Property - Utah Property Taxes
propertytax.utah.gov/real/locally-assessed/residential/

In Utah an owner of a home that is not claimed as a primary residence pays about 45% more property tax than if the same property was listed as a primary residence. Commercial property owners also typically pay tax on 100% of the tax assessed value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online