• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We heard that Alta was surprisingly good over the weekend. We have two days there this season--as much as a day on snow would do my soul so much good right now (life is throwing me some curveballs that are extremely overwhelming) I'm saving those days for later in the season when friends will be in town, or for late season.

The lack of ANY snow combined with the immense stress of life right now has me so down in the dumps. I would take 3 runs on the WROD on a weekday right now just to clear my head. Here's hoping the pattern changes next week as is forecast and we have a repeat of the 2016/17 season that started off slow, then it just snowed and snowed and snowed.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
We heard that Alta was surprisingly good over the weekend. We have two days there this season--as much as a day on snow would do my soul so much good right now (life is throwing me some curveballs that are extremely overwhelming) I'm saving those days for later in the season when friends will be in town, or for late season.

The lack of ANY snow combined with the immense stress of life right now has me so down in the dumps. I would take 3 runs on the WROD on a weekday right now just to clear my head. Here's hoping the pattern changes next week as is forecast and we have a repeat of the 2016/17 season that started off slow, then it just snowed and snowed and snowed.
Sending you good vibes, Amy. Hang in there.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Opening day at Snowbird was a good time that started with a little hiccup.
After numerous days that started with buying a hoodie after forgetting a jacket, or paying for a new pass when mine was left home, today might have been the best yet.
From work to home to grab my gear and knowing my boot bag wasn’t turned on to heat, I left the car running with the heat on and windows down and put my boots on the floor to warm for a few minutes while I changed and then put my boots in the bag for the drive up.
After booting up I started the normal routine of making sure pockets with ID, credit card, and keys were zipped. When my keys weren’t in their normal pocket a quick look through the car ended without me seeing keys. When I pushed the start button to see if the keys were close by didn’t start the car, we grabbed our skis and headed towards Gadzoom.
While I didn’t think it was possible to put the car in drive without a keyfob with me, a text to mrsjmills confirmed my keys were left home. She didn’t seem as concerned as I was that my car let me drive without a keyfob and instead seemed to question what the hell I was thinking.
A great day of skiing ended with a smiling mrsjmills pulling up to drop off my keys. 4BBE947E-2EFC-4AE3-829D-FC71E1525508.jpeg D04591D0-8374-469B-87DF-4B841917054C.jpeg 5ADB8790-1F56-48F0-A643-83D41C143BF7.jpeg 5B4FB810-ED5C-4CA6-BCC8-E17687E66D07.jpeg

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Getting down LCC...what do you guys do to keep it at a reasonable speed in the dry...gearing or brakes? Of course, every car is different. I'll be doing it 100+ times a season so I want to be doing it "correctly" and put as little wear on the car as I can. Brake pads are a lot more replaceable than a new transmission. I know putting the car in a low gear puts some strain on the tranny/engine...not much but doing it every day for the whole descent, not sure if that adds up.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I’m not a regular LCC driver but I drive Powder Mountain road frequently. It is a 14% grade average, one of the steepest highways in the west. My last car saw significant transmission and clutch wear after 2 seasons. Like you say brakes are cheaper than a transmission but having your brakes go out can be deadly. I think a combination of the two and keeping a relatively slow speed is the best call. My present vehicle is a six speed manual transmission & l find myself in 3rd gear & under 40mph most of the way. With that said i’ve never thought the CC roads were that steep overall in comparison. I think 4th & 5th gear for me with selective braking.
Best thing for your car is to take the shuttle ;)

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I’m not a regular LCC driver but I drive Powder Mountain road frequently. It is a 14% grade average, one of the steepest highways in the west. My last car saw significant transmission and clutch wear after 2 seasons. Like you say brakes are cheaper than a transmission but having your brakes go out can be deadly. I think a combination of the two and keeping a relatively slow speed is the best call. My present vehicle is a six speed manual transmission & l find myself in 3rd gear & under 40mph most of the way. With that said i’ve never thought the CC roads were that steep overall in comparison. I think 4th & 5th gear for me with selective braking.
Best thing for your car is to take the shuttle ;)

Exactly what I did today which used a nice "blend" of brakes and gearing. 4th/5th gear. I kept accelerating (slowly...tapped the brakes every 5-8 seconds) but thought third gear at that speed would be pushing it.

And I hope/plan to take the bus 2-3 times a week... depending on logistics of it all.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Getting down LCC...what do you guys do to keep it at a reasonable speed in the dry...gearing or brakes? Of course, every car is different. I'll be doing it 100+ times a season so I want to be doing it "correctly" and put as little wear on the car as I can. Brake pads are a lot more replaceable than a new transmission. I know putting the car in a low gear puts some strain on the tranny/engine...not much but doing it every day for the whole descent, not sure if that adds up.
On dry roads I drop my Chevy SUV into low and set it to 3rd gear for the down and go back and forth between 3rd and 4th.
When there is snow I will go 2nd and may not touch it. When the Red snake is out, I’ll switch between 1st and Park

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Alta had an ungroomed Supreme open again over the weekend. Saturday afternoon when the snow warmed up it was a ton of fun.
Sunday brought heavy winds and wind-scorched faces. Definitely need snow! below shot from Supreme on Sunday, guy skied up to it and said ill Candide this!
IMG_2614.JPG
he rode it out nicely
IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2625.PNG
10 days in , Im ready for some DEEP STUFF!!!

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I just booked airfare for my 13 y/o and I to spend a week in SLC in mid Jan. If we rent a midsize suv, is it pretty much a given that it will be Awd or 4wd or could we get stuck with a 2wd? If it is a crapshoot, what are the bets options for shuttles if we'll be mostly skiing LCC and maybe 1-2 days at Deer Valley? I do have a handicap parking pass so parking isn't an issue at those resorts. Thanks!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If we rent a midsize suv, is it pretty much a given that it will be Awd or 4wd or could we get stuck with a 2wd?
There are some stories of getting 2WDs just about anywhere... but the 20+ times I've rented an SUV out west or in New England, I've always gotten AWD.

BombayCL

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I see the expectation of the upcoming snow forecasted specifically for PCMR. How much additional terrain can be expected to open up given the current conditions? Would it take two or more of these sized storm cycles to come through to open significant additional terrain?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I see the expectation of the upcoming snow forecasted specifically for PCMR. How much additional terrain can be expected to open up given the current conditions? Would it take two or more of these sized storm cycles to come through to open significant additional terrain?
Yes. We were discussing this last night at a dinner out with a bunch of instructors. We are staring at the Christmas week with very little terrain open at Snowbasin. What a nightmare. Unless it dumps relentlessly starting next week, it's looking not great. This storm coming this week was needed in mid-November.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just read Evan's post on Utah Open Snow. Not looking too good for the resorts north of I-80. Will PowMow open before 1 Jan 22?
Well, I guess I just wanted to complain to someone who knows how I feel. My wife is getting sick of hearing about it!

4ster

Instructor
Will PowMow open before 1 Jan 22?
Well, I guess I just wanted to complain to someone who knows how I feel. My wife is getting sick of hearing about it!
This from Powderchasers for this week:
Currently from looking at model data, our forecast is for 8-12 inches from the Ogden resorts (Powder Mountain is favored in this flow), 6-12 inches for Park City (Higher amounts on the Canyons side) and 12-18 for the Cottonwood Canyons. It's possible that by Friday afternoon totals exceed 20 inches if the lake kicks in and cold unstable NW flow continues.
& my snow sense is finally sensing big things next week & more Xmas week :huh: .

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since we will probably take any good news, I saw that the new Middle Bowl lift at Snowbasin was spinning with chairs when I checked the WebCam earlier this evening.

4ster

Instructor
Since we will probably take any good news, I saw that the new Middle Bowl lift at Snowbasin was spinning with chairs when I checked the WebCam earlier this evening.
I spoke with one of the Leitner-Poma guys who is staying with a friend the other day. He said that they were ready for Load Testing & that would only take a couple of days. Lift should be GTG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online