• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The NWS issued a "Snow Squall" warning this afternoon that lit up my phone and apparently turned Weber Canyon treacherous in a hurry. Apparently that is the first time a snow squall warning has ever gone out here.

Weird weather patterns these days...
An inch in Midvale in one hour. Standard "heavy snow" rate of 2"/hr at Alta for a bit.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
An inch in Midvale in one hour. Standard "heavy snow" rate of 2"/hr at Alta for a bit.
East Layton got about 5 inches in that hour. Snowbasin picked up what appears to be 4 inches. Still got skunked by the storms overall but we'll see what the rest of the week brings.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
East Layton got about 5 inches in that hour. Snowbasin picked up what appears to be 4 inches. Still got skunked by the storms overall but we'll see what the rest of the week brings.
Its more heavy base building snow, We are on track to hit 40" base later this week and thats kind of a break point number for many basin off trail starting to get good (snow king, diamond, moonshine bowl, etc). Then we can start counting down to 55"+ for the rockier terrain like the cirque and tram comes into play.

Its dark so hard to tell, but it looks like they are blowing more snow on city hill from the cams. I didn't know snowbasin did maintenance snowmaking for open runs. Could be a good sign.

Last edited:

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Going to Solitude tomorrow. Plan to take bus to the BCC, as I don't want to drive up the canyon.
Question:
Where is the best place to park and get on bus?
I know there are 3 stops for park and ride but not sure if it will be easy to find parking space.

Is it OK to park at the shopping mall: the shops at Fort Union? It's close to Midvale.

Also there is a parking lot where century 21 office building is located. Is it ok to park there?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FINALLY some good storm skiing! More and more is opening up although with sketchy coverage still. I think this next wave moving in this afternoon will fix a lot of that.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FINALLY some good storm skiing! More and more is opening up although with sketchy coverage still. I think this next wave moving in this afternoon will fix a lot of that.
Good to hear. You have a month to fix all of this for Marcia and me. We are counting on you.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good to hear. You have a month to fix all of this for Marcia and me. We are counting on you.
FWIW Alta is doing fine. The lower elevation resorts like Snowbasin are hurting. But last night's storm and tonight's are going to make a huge difference. 16" last night and 2 more feet expected tonight. Sunday is supposed to be sunny! Can't wait. And you two better contact me before you are here so we can meet up!

I'll keep washing my car just in case... :ogbiggrin:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW Alta is doing fine. The lower elevation resorts like Snowbasin are hurting. But last night's storm and tonight's are going to make a huge difference. 16" last night and 2 more feet expected tonight. Sunday is supposed to be sunny! Can't wait. And you two better contact me before you are here so we can meet up!

I'll keep washing my car just in case... :ogbiggrin:
And take your snow tires off. Plans are still fluid but coming together. Will definitely keep you posted!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I did 6 hot laps on JP this morning (it was my day off). Snow King, Jungle, Hollywood, Rock Star Ridge. Right side up snow. Excellent!
That sounds like a great New Year Eve party!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Basins was good yesterday. Kids are 11 and 9 and keeping up with dad on snowking, Hollywood and pork barrel 119 areas. Hit no rocks. Maybe time for good skis to come out. Looks like diamond is open today.

Talking to Madeline she commented how little is groomed through the holidays this year. Both wildcat bowl and Dan's have been left alone. I assume they may eventually groom wildcat for races but sometimes less is more.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Skiing Snowbird tomorrow for the first time this season. What width skis should I take? Nordica Enforcer 104? Elan 96 BE? Mindbender 90?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online